Notices

8 Weeks sober...Lifestyle changes needed!

Old 07-23-2017, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 Weeks sober...Lifestyle changes needed!

Hi All,

So I have been sober for 8 weeks and it's going well. However my pre-sobriety motivation to exercise and eat healthily is almost nonexistent. I think I've been for one run and attended one class in the 8 weeks!!!! I haven't been preparing healthy lunches for work and have had far too many takeaways. I feel I need to get a grip of my eating and fitness but I just can't seem to summon the motivation. I have been a member of an online health and fitness group for over 1.5 years and so I have all the tools and support right there!

I have recognised that I am under a lot of stress at the moment at work and am planning to give myself a 4 day weekend next week. I have also downloaded a yoga app as I need to find a way of de-stressing and unwinding.

Anyway just airing and sharing 💜
Old 07-23-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Congrats! You have inspired me. I am on Day 1 and was thinking of how much better my life would be in 8 weeks. I know it is ODAAT to get there. Today is one hour at a time to get me thru withdawls. I eat healthy but don't exercise enough because of RA. The pain often causes me to drink. Gotta make some changes in my lifestyle, too!
Old 07-23-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi nova, give it time...you sound like you're collecting all the right tools to keep you sober. Congratulations on 8 weeks!
Old 07-23-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have 31 days sober. I went to rehab for 28 days and while in there I went to the gym 4xs a week (after detoxing) and lost 12lbs, I'm quite sure it had something to do with not drinking a half gallon of vodka + pint of southern comfort a day however it motivated me to continue working out 3o mins a day 4x a week when I left rehab. I was lucky enough to meet a few ladies at the AA meetings that I meet there for the added motivation and support. This really helped me get my behind to the gym. Do you have anyone you can work out with?

Good Luck!
Old 07-23-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nova congrats on 8 weeks sober!!!!!!
I'm at just over 3 months and have only recently made any lifestyle changes whatsoever. I have started to eat a lot more fruit and veg and I do 2 yoga classes a week. However I still love my coffee and cigarettes and I've been left with a terrible sweet tooth!
For me the sobriety is the absolute priority. I got to a very bad place with drinking and it's going to take me a long time to undo a lot of the damage. Physical and mental.
I'd say be patient (not easy I know) listen to your body and take baby steps. No need to beat yourself up whatsoever though! You're doing Great!
Old 07-23-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovered

For me, nothing would get done if I wait around for "mo" (motivation). I had to develop discipline and just do the thing. I never regretted going to the gym, but I regretted NOT going plenty of times. I realized that it was part of my "ism" and had to make external accountability for myself in the beginning (meeting another person there, committing to a class, calling a trusted friend before/after to be accountable, hiring a trainer...stuff like that). After some time, I was able to do things "on my own" where I was accountable to *myself*. I had to work up to it, though. Even today, it is icing on the cake if Mo shows up. lol
Old 07-23-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hey Nova - First off congrats on 8 weeks!
Maybe you can start simple and start walking .. 30 minutes or so. Even 15 mins ! May jump start the exercise routine..
Old 07-23-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys 💜

I have a tendency to go 'all or nothing'...and I think I need to remember that any small changes I make are still changes and they will mean that I am moving forward.

mfanch...thanks for the straight talking...it's absolutely true...I can't wait around for 'mo' 😊

xxx
Old 07-23-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found that once I began a regular exercise routine my stress level dropped considerably. In the beginning I had to force myself to get going, but once it became a habit I began looking forward to my workouts. Now, if I don't get a workout in each day, I don't feel as good as when I do.

Best of luck to you Nova and making that change! You'll be glad you did!
Old 07-23-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think once you get started you will look forward to it! You are doing great. Congrats on 8 weeks sober! (Maybe lay out some workout clothes tonight so you are ready in the morning! also check out the "one thing I did for myself today " thread in the women's forum it's motivating )
Old 07-23-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have trouble with this too Nova but once I start I'm ok - start off small maybe and build up?

congrats on your milestone - great stuff

D
Old 07-23-2017, 06:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi nova. Eight weeks is great, so don't be too hard on yourself about letting other things slide a bit. I had all sorts of aspirations pre-sobriety too, but I was also a delusional lush then

That being said, maybe just take new things one at a time? For me, some routines have stuck, some have gone by the wayside, but in my larger picture, it's the constant forward movement that matters most.