Notices

Day one

Old 07-21-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one

Back to day one and pretty depressed about it.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that zeppo, how many days did you have going? Anything you can do differently this time to avoid a relapse? Maybe post here before you drink? Saved me a few times.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Man, I hear ya. I'm at my Day 17 again. I felt pretty badly about it too.

BUT - you're getting back on that horse. You know where you need to be, and you will get there.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Welcome Zeppodog!
Day 1 is the start of your new sobriety.
Stay close to SR and post as often as you can.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The longest I've been managing is a month or two, just ordered a Rational recovery book and another one that sounded good. Yes I need to start checking in every day again, it did help. I'm too old to make myself so sick, missed work a couple days and I like my job, don't want to lose it. I love my family and don't want to lose them.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

7/21/17 is a great sobriety date !!!

kinda has a ring ti it !
Old 07-21-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't know why I just can't keep sober, I make the commitment and a month or two later I'm drinking, usually a weekend bender then sober up again. As I get older I get sicker and sicker, why would anybody do that to themselves? It's poison to me and I know it. I'm a rational guy, but don't get it.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by zeppodog View Post
As I get older I get sicker and sicker, why would anybody do that to themselves? It's poison to me and I know it.

I'm a rational guy, but don't get it.
Yep me too.... I am middle aged and it finally dawned on me too.

I got "addicted" to alcohol... Simple truth.

The moment I came to REAL terms with this fact... It got easier to not drink at all.

Plus ... We gotta know that we cannot always do things Alone.... Help is there if you need it.

Have you spoke to your doctor?
Old 07-21-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back, Zeppo!

Alcoholism is very tricky and always looks for a way back into your life. I'm glad you're back. I would ask you what you have done, besides stopping drinking, to support your recovery? For me, I had to make some significant changes in my life. You can do this!
Old 07-21-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. And good move on the book. I found it very helpful. Just keep taking steps. Keep learning. Keep moving forward. You're doing all the right things as long as your not giving up.

You might appreciate this...

https://youtu.be/IdTMDpizis8
Old 07-21-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

right now just trying to get through the day, pretty shaky but swore no hair of the dog. I don't know what to do different, just don't take that first one. Avoid bars. I have to avoid some old friends where drinking is going to happen. My wife committed to not drinking too, that's been a problem for me, she's not as bad as me and will suggest some wine when she knows I can't control myself. She swore no more so that will help. Never liked AA but might start going again.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome back, zeppodog.

I have been thinking of you and wondering how you were doing.

I am so sorry that you have been struggling. Good to hear that you have ordered the Rational Recovery book; let us know how you like it. Some AVRT workbooks may also be helpful.

There are a couple of SR threads on the importance of a solid plan for recovery. You may have already seen them but I will bump them and post links for you in a minute.

Really glad that you are back, Zeppo; you have been missed.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The first:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=Psst
Old 07-21-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The second:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...=Recovery+plan
Old 07-21-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The longest I've been managing is a month or two, just ordered a Rational recovery book and another one that sounded good. Yes I need to start checking in every day again, it did help. I'm too old to make myself so sick, missed work a couple days and I like my job, don't want to lose it. I love my family and don't want to lose them.
Hey man, I understand you not wanting to lose your family or your job, but to succeed at sobriety you are going to want to be sober more than you want to drink and get drunk. Being sick is no fun. You've had a month or two strung together at some point so you know what its like. Rootin for ya.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey, zeppo. We are all here for you. Keep posting!
Old 07-21-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

right now just trying to get through the day, pretty shaky but swore no hair of the dog. I don't know what to do different, just don't take that first one. Avoid bars. I have to avoid some old friends where drinking is going to happen. My wife committed to not drinking too, that's been a problem for me, she's not as bad as me and will suggest some wine when she knows I can't control myself. She swore no more so that will help. Never liked AA but might start going again.
That's good right there. You moved from what you can't do, to what you CAN do. Keep your mind, force your mind, on that.

FWIW... I did not like AA at all. But it did help during the most difficult times so yes, you always can do that.

There's more too. I liked SMART recovery meetings better. But they aren't as readily available. But if you go when they are, you get ammo you can use when you need it.

The best support group I've been to yet though is NA. Not religious at all. A little spiritual and have at least hope that there's a hugger power within ourselves. But even then, it's barely discussed.

And they don't care what you're addicted to. Nobody shares their DOC because the problems, frustrations, and even solutions are the same.

I also find a whole lot less desperate people there. I'm 50 and a white collar worker (currently layed off). I find many others just like me.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I'm in the same boat your in. Getting older and, the aftermath of drinking keeps getting worse and worse. Keep trying and, find what works for you. You can do this!

I've come to realize my life depends on my sobriety. That's what keeping me sober. Like Anna said make the changes that need to be made.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know my life depends on staying sober. Hopefully sleep better tonight and things will look better in the morning. Thanks everyone for the support, feels good to not be doing this alone.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I zeppo
I had to make some pretty sweeping changes to sty sober.

if the way you live your life leads you back naturally to drinking, I think you need to change that life?

D