Notices

I'm starting to believe in miracles.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm starting to believe in miracles.

This will be rambling and boring so unless you are really bored, you may want to move to more pressing matters.

I posted awhile back about my quest for truth and in that quest for truth also learning of higher thinking and a greater consciousness. In doing so I have concluded some truths about our world and our people that have convinced me we are not an accident and that a creator is inevitable. This coming from a pure-bread agnostic. I have a science background so spirituality had little room in my brain.

With that being said a series of small miracles (in my opinion) have come my way. They are financial in nature so some may roll their eyes at that, but it saved us from ruin. First, when my wife totaled my truck last year, the truck was a work truck and not worth much money, insurance ended up giving me twice what I would have sold it for and let me keep the plow which I sold for 2K. I had a dispute with our lender on the house and they served me with a sheriff's sale this spring. Thought I was losing my house. Got on a probationary status by gift of god and we fulfilled that period. But how on earth are they going to give me a mortgage when I have no income to show for 2 years? I don't know either, but they did this week and I'm back to a normal schedule with my house payments. Still selling the house though, I want out of here, bad memories. Lastly, I got an offer from a couple of banks to settle some pretty large debts. Luckily I had the cash to do it, but I settled debts over 6 figures for 15 cents on the dollar. Another miracle. They are off my credit and gone forever. These things just fell in my lap and I believe it was no accident. I've tried to live a good life for the last 2 years and I think I'm being rewarded in some ways.

When I was drinking, these things would not happen, in fact the opposite would have happened, I'm convinced of it. I truly would have lost everything, instead we landed on our feet. So blessed. Told you it was boring, but it felt good to write it out.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good stuff jeff. while i may not completely agree on the term "being rewarded in sobriety" i do believe that as sober people, choosing sobriety over and over again as a response to life's terms, we are presented with opportunities to further build upon our sober foundation/life. we are graced with the chance to become true caretakers of our own lives and to some degree the lives of others, and The Universe is saying....ok, just don't screw it up, ok?????

you've had a couple rough moments of late, but you came here, you outed yourself, honestly shared your thoughts, and ultimately made the choice to NOT drink. and i am so glad you did!!! you keep authoring your success story!!!
Old 07-21-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Great stuff, Jeff.

I have had a few miracles myself - and feel the same way - not accidents. I don't want to try to define my new-found belief in a higher power - that's just not necessary for me. But yeah, there's something at work that I can't explain. When I first started AA I had already had a spiritual experience I couldn't deny - so for me it was easy to accept the notion of a higher power, even though I had been mostly a non-believer most of my life. I bristled a bit anyway, until I just relaxed and became willing. Good things just keep happening.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Jeff,

I have been MIA on here for the past few months but I still read from time to time. Not having the working app on my phone has been a real downer as using the mobile site on my phone with chrome is a pain.

That said, congratulations of having some good come you way. Don't sell yourself short though. You made some tough decisions and decided to be sober. This is a big part of why things are turning around, I see the same things happening around me as well. I always look at my wife in amazement at what we have gotten done in the last 2 1/2 years and she is happy too. I sometimes wonder how much I could have gotten done had I never had that first taste of alcohol.

Good luck Jeff and its good to hear the positive.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad things are working out Jeff - great stuff

D
Old 07-21-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
When I was drinking, these things would not happen, in fact the opposite would have happened, I'm convinced of it. I truly would have lost everything, instead we landed on our feet. So blessed. Told you it was boring, but it felt good to write it out.
What you stated above is profound..

There is truth to the power of 'Positive' thinking ... !
Old 07-21-2017, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why on earth did you think that would be boring? I'm glad you posted that, as spirituality and divine intervention has been on my mind a lot, and I was recently remembering how convinced I was that someone "out there" could be the only way I survived certain experiences.
I know some very intelligent people who aren't religious but feel strongly there's a higher purpose for us being here and more to life than what we see.
Keep doing what keeps you sober, and thanks for sharing
Old 07-22-2017, 10:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
i do believe that as sober people, choosing sobriety over and over again as a response to life's terms, we are presented with opportunities to further build upon our sober foundation/life. we are graced with the chance to become true caretakers of our own lives and to some degree the lives of others, and The Universe is saying....ok, just don't screw it up, ok?????
Thanks Anvil, what I've encapsulated above is truly a more accurate description of what is likely happening.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sva777 View Post
Jeff,

I have been MIA on here for the past few months but I still read from time to time. Not having the working app on my phone has been a real downer as using the mobile site on my phone with chrome is a pain.

That said, congratulations of having some good come you way. Don't sell yourself short though. You made some tough decisions and decided to be sober. This is a big part of why things are turning around, I see the same things happening around me as well. I always look at my wife in amazement at what we have gotten done in the last 2 1/2 years and she is happy too. I sometimes wonder how much I could have gotten done had I never had that first taste of alcohol.

Good luck Jeff and its good to hear the positive.
Great to hear from you SVA and I'm glad you are doing well.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by red3215 View Post
Why on earth did you think that would be boring? I'm glad you posted that, as spirituality and divine intervention has been on my mind a lot, and I was recently remembering how convinced I was that someone "out there" could be the only way I survived certain experiences.
I know some very intelligent people who aren't religious but feel strongly there's a higher purpose for us being here and more to life than what we see.
Keep doing what keeps you sober, and thanks for sharing
Thinking of divine intervention and higher powers is pretty heady stuff and was something I was not inclined to tackle for much of my life. Recently that has changed and I'm definitely becoming a believer. Not sure yet what it is I am believing in, but I believe.