Notices

1 week sober for about the 10th time

Old 07-21-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1 week sober for about the 10th time

And it was by far the easiest week I've had in the last year (when I started struggling with this disease). I've been productive, anxiety is low and dare I say I'm pretty damn satisfied with my life. I'm in outpatient treatment so that helps, but I've cheated in treatment in the past.

I'm feeling like this is the last time I'll only be 7 days sober. I've finally bought into the fact that I can't handle alcohol. It's as if I have a future for the first time in forever.

The level of confidence I have is leaving me nervous. There's no reason I should feel like this is it when I've failed so many times.

Has anyone experienced this sort of overconfidence? I know I need to continue to work and invest in my sobriety. I just can't screw this up again - I'm out of chances
Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Great to hear.

In my situation ..

I have the same feeling of confidence...
the peaceful feeling that I'm not gonna drink again.

Way to go and stay close to SR !
Old 07-21-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iowa321 View Post
There's no reason I should feel like this is it when I've failed so many times.
I could have written that line myself. I'm of two minds on this: on one hand, my many relapses could easily feel like a bad indicator for my future sobriety...been here before, and look what happened.

On the other hand: every single relapse has reinforced the final truth of where I would end up, the hopelessness I would feel again, the pain and the misery I'd be inflicting on myself. Because every relapse sent me further along the dark path toward insanity and death.

For me, the evidence is finally in: I can't drink anymore! Period, end of discussion, case closed. While I've said these things before, this time the stakes are higher and the alternative is much more dire, so...I can't drink anymore! It's really that simple.

Take your week, and your positive thoughts, and your strength, and run with them; we never have to go back...
Old 07-21-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm really confident too this time. During my last attempts I was trying to get sober for a couple months in order to start drinking again with "moderation" ( my plan was to get trashed "only" once every other week and stay sober between two binges). It never worked for me and I went through some serious storms during my countless relapses. Now it's different, my goal is to quit alcohol for the rest of my life, thus my level of confidence.I think we've reached the same point in our "alcoholic carrers".

Good luck on your (last and lifelong) sober journey
Old 07-21-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand your skepticism even toward yourself! But I do believe eventually there can be a turning point, and it sounds like this is yours.

I feel the same this time: it's a less desperate feeling, more of a clear, peaceful resolve .. no more bargaining, or "trying" (to moderate, cut back), just an acceptance that it's time and that I've turned a corner.

Congratulations on a week and keep it up!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
under new management

I've finally bought into the fact that I can't handle alcohol.
For me, this was the key. I needed to understand, to really believe that drinking would never work for me, ever. Not even one. Not Ever.

Accepting this paved the way for my recovery.

Keep going!

Old 07-21-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The level of confidence I have is leaving me nervous. There's no reason I should feel like this is it when I've failed so many times.
At some point it clicks. I hemmed and hawed about quitting for years. I meant it, but the effort was half-a$$ed and you can't overcome addiction without 100% effort. This "last" quit, August of 2010, was different. Some switch went off in my head where I knew, "This was it. I was serious." And I was. I have relapsed. Twice. Once with alcohol two weeks after I vowed to quit, and once on drugs after five years clean. However, the difference this time was my commitment to recovery never waivered. I got right back to my sobriety, with renewed vigilance.

So, yes, you don't have to fear confidence, and you don't have to fear failure. What you have to fear is giving up. We can't let our addiction win.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tealily View Post
I understand your skepticism even toward yourself! But I do believe eventually there can be a turning point, and it sounds like this is yours.

I feel the same this time: it's a less desperate feeling, more of a clear, peaceful resolve .. no more bargaining, or "trying" (to moderate, cut back), just an acceptance that it's time and that I've turned a corner.

Congratulations on a week and keep it up!
Same for me, tealily. I quit once in January 2016, lasted 40 days and never stopped drinking my nightly wine until July 5 this month. One binge on the 10th and that was the end. I read Annie Grace's book Naked Mind and that changed me. I have a different resolve than I had in 2016. I'm done with drinking. No moderation no glass of wine here and there. No nothing. You are all awesome <3. Trying to decide if I should join July class or wait until August!
Old 07-21-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Iowa - when I got sober the last time I knew I wouldn't have another 'drunk' in me - not if I wanted to live.

We all have our time...maybe this is your time?

If you're worried about complacency, keep working as hard as you can on recovery - the best outcome is you never need to call on your tools or your support, but it won't hurt to have them there

D
Old 07-22-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is good to be confident. Just don't forget what happens if you pick up again.

~Bunnez