Notices

Curious with a question

Old 07-20-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Curious with a question

Good afternoon to all. I was just thinking about what made me realize I had to make a change. For me it was on a Sun. morning after wife and son had left for church. This was prime drinking time for me. All of a sudden I realized I had gone through 3 beers in about 10 min. It really kind of stunned me. I knew I was'nt drinking for enjoyment but to get as wrecked as I could. I still drank the rest of the day. That evening I was on a site about the 30 day no drinking challenge and I just thought Hmm. I'm going to try this. That was the start of the road I am on now. I would really like to know your story. Thanks for reading and good evening.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
under new management

I had some routine blood work and my liver enzymes tested out of range. My doctor wanted me to quit drinking for 3 months and get retested.

It didn't happen immediately. But I eventually realised that if I didn't pay attention to this wake up call now, I might come to dearly regret it.

I was mighty mad at the time but I wrestled my head to where it needed to be to make the right decision. A decision that my future self is very thankful for
Old 07-20-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your reply 2ndhandrose. I am glad you listened to that call and hope the best for you down the road.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I could feel me sliding deeper and deeper into a bad life. I wanted to be a good Dad. My kids deserve a sober Dad. I intend to provide for them. My first 90 days are detailed in the Day 1 thread started by me. Keep after it! Stay strong!
Old 07-20-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

SimplyFree thank you for the post. I have read your 90 days. There was lots of good information. Keep up the good job taking care of the kids.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Things hit home for me when I could feel the habit affecting my health. My energy was nonexistent, bloat, lousy sleep. Plus, anxiety attacks and the constant money drain. I guess it took me deciding that I was worthy of being sober.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rascal thank you for sharing. I relate to all of the things you spoke of. All of these improve when sober. Best wishes to you.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have always been a drinker, pretty heavy one at times, but still have my life in order. However, drinking was starting to cause problems in my life. The biggest problem is that as I get older, hangovers come easier and stronger. I was sick of them! There were also times that I was embarrassed about my behavior and definitely times I didn't remember conversations. The real reason I quit was the hangovers.

I am 46 days sober now and I love the fact that I never have hangovers anymore. And I always remember my conversations. I'm discovering the quiet voice inside me is worth listening to.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I quit because I was going to lose my wife and 2 yr old son. I had been in and out of the hospital for a year and my wife had enough.

I decided that I would rather be with my family again and give up the booze completely.

I now firmly believe that you can't just have 1 or "control" your drinking when you are alcoholic - and I am. You just have to avoid taking that first drink.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Apple and Traveler thanks for showing me a bit of each of your stories. I saw some of myself in each one. Again thanks to all who posted here tonight. Well it's late so time for bed. Goodnight
Old 07-20-2017, 08:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I finally decided to get sober on NYE of 2015. I was at a party and drinking, and I knew I needed to stop and to make healthy and positive life style decisions. The clock struck midnight and I put down my champagne and made myself a New Year's Resolution. I kept it to myself for a bit because I had failed a few times in the past. I am getting close to 20 months sober, and every aspect of my life is better. There are still days that are emotional, and situations that are stressful, but I've learned much healthier ways to deal with them.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good morning to all. Up and ready for another day. This is so much better sober than hungover. Better yet it is Friday. Delilah I really admire the decision to put your glass down on New Years Eve . That takes guts to do that. Congrats on your 20 months. Just keep adding to that number. Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stay strong! It's worth it!
Old 07-21-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Go to church with them, rather than indulging in sin.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was vomiting blood and drinking around the clock just to pass out because I couldn't deal with the pain of being awake and alive any longer.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Forward thank you for your opinion on the subject. Bunny it's great that we can put that stuff behind us. Have a great day.