Notices

Advice?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice?

Hi everyone,
I've been sober for three days. I know it's not much, but it is for me. Im stressing out over a dinner I have planned tonight with a friend. I know I don't want to drink, but afraid I will cave. This is a friend that I have cancelled on numerous times before either because I was completely hungover or just lacking energy/ not up to socializing.
Thing is I've been feeling great since Monday and have the desire to go out - I just don't want to cave-in for "one" drink because I know that "one" will lead to 4,5,6. :-(
Any suggestions?
Thanks for reading :-)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Pick a place that doesn't serve alcohol.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Like Carl said, try and go somewhere that doesn't serve. Of if you feel comfortable enough, just tell your friend you are absolutely not going to drink.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Carl's point is a good one - go to a coffee shop or a cafe that doesn't serve alcohol.

Another option is to simply not go. If you have cancelled before it's not going to be a big deal if you cancel now - and you have a very legitimate reason to do so if you fear that you'll not be able to abstain.

A question you could ask yourself is what the real nature of the "night out" is. Is your friend expecting a night of drinking where you might also get something to eat, or is it truly a meeting to eat dinner? There is a big difference. And if it's the former, I'd definitely skip it - expecially just 3 days in. You've done some good work to get those 3 days under your belt, if it's too risky i'd just stay home.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. It's a restaurant that can take up to a month to get reservations. I'm just thinking of using the "I have to get up extremely early for work" excuse. My friend knows my work schedule is abnormal that way so it shouldn't seem too obvious.
However, after tonight I think it might be best for me to avoid happy hours/ dinner plans for the time being.
Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I think that you should maybe avoid places like that for a while, and tonight just try keep in mind that 1 won't be enough.

Think of how you will feel tomorrow? Think worst case scenario? what's the worst?

Cause more than likely if you do have 1 or 2 that's exactly what will happen!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've decided not to go. As much as I LOVE sushi - it's not worth the risk. I want to wake up tomorrow morning hangover/ guilt-free. My friend understood.
Instead I'm going to treat myself to sushi takeout from the "2nd best" sushi restaurant in my city.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
under new management

Excellent decision, Flinders