Notices

Struggling

Old 07-20-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

I have been reading this site for months and not really got involved. I certainly haven't put any real effort into getting sober up til now. Then a few days ago I got my fishing tackle out and I think it's saving my life. I've revived an old passion of mine and for the last 2 days I haven't been in a pub! 2 days in a row without going into a pub is a record for me. I'm struggling tho, I haven't gone 2 days without a drink for 15 years and I feel terrible. Off balance and sort of disconnected. Is that normal? Thanks for a brilliant site
Old 07-20-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hi Jtimber, congratulations on 2 days. I guess if you do anything repeatedly for fifteen years it is going to feel strange when you stop.

It is very common to feel disorientated in early recovery - people often refer to it as "brain fog," it is not a permanent condition.

Hobbies like fishing are a great way of keeping yourself occupied which in turn minimises the impulse to drink so stay with it.

Good luck.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

1st thing JIM, this is the addiction/Habit, call it what you will. It will start to tell you to "get a drink youll feel better" but if you really want to stay off it, do your best. Excersise when you feel foggy, this boosts seratonin, gets your blood pumping. Do anything to take your mind away from it. Find a place where there is no pubs, no alcohol.

The first 3 days or 4 can be the worst, for the headaches, foggy brain etc, at least give yourself that chance of getting to that stage and see how you feel.
Oh and yes it is normal, Ive gone through it more times than i care to rememeber
Good luck
Old 07-20-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Jtimber, congrats on 2 days and of reminding yourself of an old interest!

That's been one of the insights I've had, since quitting drinking .. Realizing how very much of my day -- time, money and thought -- had gone into drinking (preparing for it, regretting it, recovering from it, hiding the damage of it), and as a result how little room there was for much else. I'm looking forward to rediscovering the "old me" and new passions too.

I've found posting here has really made a big difference. Once you are engaged and "all in" with this community, it makes you stronger.

Hope to hear more from you!

Old 07-20-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jt, sounds like you are actually doing well given how often you drank. I'm surprised you are not going through withdrawals. Keep at it!

So are you fishing?
Old 07-20-2017, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not fishing today but will be tomorrow. I do have withdrawals, feel spaced out can't feel my hands and very anxious but I'm trying to keep going I really want to break through this time and just stay sober. I really want sobriety and the happiness that you guys seem to have found. I've lost so much through drinking and drugs over the years, every problem I've ever had has been caused by drinking. I can't think of a single time I had a problem that wasn't caused by that. Everything in my life that I've lost I've lost through drinking. It's ridiculous. I'm 32 now, I feel 20 years older and I can sense that I'm getting close to death if I carry on. I've had that feeling for a few months
Old 07-20-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The withdrawals are no fun, but you've come this far, no sense in drinking now. You can achieve sobriety if you want it bad enough and it sounds like you are pretty certain that the drinking life is better left behind. You won't regret your decision to not drink.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's no life is it. Self centred, selfish. The lies upon lies I've told to girlfriends, family, work, friends absolutely everyone. I can't remember what I've told people and at the time I think I'm fooling them but I wasn't was I. I was only fooling myself.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, check out the term AV in the sticky notes at the top of the form. Your AV is going to start hounding you and getting some ideas on how to deal with him the first couple weeks especially is super important! Be here, post often, read , learn and stay sober!!