Notices

Someone's funeral

Old 07-18-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Someone's funeral

My friend, someone I know from addiction and recovery died around two weeks ago from (heroin) addiction consequences although he wasn't a best friend just a man I knew and was very fond of. A really nice guy. Anyway it his funeral next Wednesday, and I d like to go to his funeral. However, I am unemployed currently on benefits (US: social security I think) and have nothing black to wear, like a black suit, I have black chinos but no black top and only own a blue suit, do you think it would be appropriate to wear something not black or should I just not go?
Old 07-18-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
My friend, someone I know from addiction and recovery died around two weeks ago from (heroin) addiction consequences although he wasn't a best friend just a man I knew and was very fond of. A really nice guy. Anyway it his funeral next Wednesday, and I d like to go to his funeral. However, I am unemployed currently on benefits (US: social security I think) and have nothing black to wear, like a black suit, I have black chinos but no black top and only own a blue suit, do you think it would be appropriate to wear something not black or should I just not go?
You don't have to wear black to pay respects and be there for someone who has passed.....

Dress nicely, avoid wearing bright magenta, red, orange, athletic gear, anything with writing on it (like a beastie boys t-shirt for example) and you'll be fine.

It's not about what you wear - it's about honoring a person and being there to share in the grieving.

I'm sorry for your loss and the loss of another life to addiction.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

First off.. Sorry to hear about your loss.

YES ! It is absolutely appropriate and OK to not wear black to a funeral. I have been to a few including my parents and brother. I have never owned a black suit either.

Your Blue suit or the Black pants and button down shirt is fine...
Paying your respect is most important.. Your friend would approve.. I'm sure!
Just my opinion!
Old 07-18-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss James.
The two most recent funerals I've been to, I have worn smart clothes in bright colours. The first one as it was a requested dress code ' please wear cheerful clothes as this is a celebration of xxxx life'. The second because it was a very close friend and I wanted to be me at the funeral. Both outfits were respectful of the more traditional mourners but also a leap away from black. Even at the second funeral I wasn't the only one in colours.
Please don't absent yourself over clothes, funerals in my opinion are really important times for grieving , celebrating a persons life and paying our respects to the life lived, seeking the companionship of others at this tough time.
Go well
Xx
Old 07-18-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss James. I wore a navy blue dress to a funeral last week, it was important for me to be there for my friend, she wasn't looking at what I was wearing.

I am glad you will be able to pay your respects, and say goodbye.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't usually wear black to funerals although I don't wear Hawaiian shirts either.

Just wear something 'nice', and respectful

Think about a plan too - the get togethers after wards can be rough for alcoholics trying to quit.

D
Old 07-18-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wear anything that is neat and respectable. Go. If you are anxious- like me, check out the op-shops.