Notices

Checking in

Old 07-18-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Checking in

Hi guys,

Checking in, been busy at work this morning this is the first chance I've had to post.

Sober plans are made for the remainder of today, going to see my friend later and do a work out.

It was good to wake up with no hangover this morning....
Old 07-18-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad to hear you had a sober night Stewy.

What exactly is your plan for today - specific to staying sober?
Old 07-18-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm back into a few days since a slip on the 4th also. I've been focusing on buying good, high calorie foods and treating myself to a little chocolate or ice cream at night. I bought cases of coconut water I love to hydrate and flush my system. Ice cold water to dilute the poison and rejuvenate my vehicle; flush the body of the remnants. Everything is loud and bright at work, so I wear sunglasses and put in calming music.

The more I plan, the easier I find the earlier stages. I've been falling down a lot, but I'm getting back up.

I finally have the support of 3 good friends I've reached out to. It's a good time to call it good.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Doesn't matter how many times we fall as long as we get back up. My fitbit is happy with my 7 hrs and 45 min of sleep. Ever want to see how much alcohol interferes with your sleep get a fit bit it's amazing. I'm with ya Stewy sober mornings are the best !!
Old 07-18-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Waking up without a hangover never, ever gets old!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good going, Stewy. Keep on.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Glad to hear you had a sober night Stewy.

What exactly is your plan for today - specific to staying sober?
Hi Scott

4pm-530pm seeing neighbour
530-630pm- cooking tea for me and a friend
630pm-830pm doing my garden
830pm-1030pm watching some videos of Kevin o hara (alcohol mastery), read SR, post update
1030pm- bed
Old 07-18-2017, 07:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersolstice View Post
I'm back into a few days since a slip on the 4th also. I've been focusing on buying good, high calorie foods and treating myself to a little chocolate or ice cream at night. I bought cases of coconut water I love to hydrate and flush my system. Ice cold water to dilute the poison and rejuvenate my vehicle; flush the body of the remnants. Everything is loud and bright at work, so I wear sunglasses and put in calming music.

The more I plan, the easier I find the earlier stages. I've been falling down a lot, but I'm getting back up.

I finally have the support of 3 good friends I've reached out to. It's a good time to call it good.
Hi sobersolstice

I'm glad you have your friends for support as well as SR!

Best wishes to you
Old 07-18-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by graciepearl View Post
Doesn't matter how many times we fall as long as we get back up. My fitbit is happy with my 7 hrs and 45 min of sleep. Ever want to see how much alcohol interferes with your sleep get a fit bit it's amazing. I'm with ya Stewy sober mornings are the best !!
Might be time for me to get a Fitbit

Thanks graciepearl!
Old 07-18-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Waking up without a hangover never, ever gets old!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good going, Stewy. Keep on.
Thanks soberleigh
Old 07-18-2017, 09:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post
Might be time for me to get a Fitbit

Thanks graciepearl!
I just got a Fitbit and I love it! Get yourself one Stewy, it's well worth the investment.

Keep going buddy, you got this!
Old 07-18-2017, 12:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Stewey,

Sounds like you have a great plan to stay busy. Have you thought about a plan for recovery? I had a few brief periods of sobriety in the past (and of course pregnancy.) but I never really had a recovery plan, I just had things to keep me distracted. My plan this time really focused on getting physically, and mentally healthy. I used this site, have a few trusted friends that I've checked in with, journaled, read, and used exercise and mindfulness as part of how I alleviate stress, and keep grounded.

I know alcohol is not an option no matter what, and there have been some very difficult days as well as big celebrations during the past 18 and a half months, but no matter the situation drinking just wasn't an option.

I know you've had a long stretch of sobriety in the past, and I also know you've been struggling to get that sobriety back. It might be helpful to really thi k about recovery, and what you need.

Glad you are here and posting.

❤️Delilah
Old 07-18-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Scott

4pm-530pm seeing neighbour
530-630pm- cooking tea for me and a friend
630pm-830pm doing my garden
830pm-1030pm watching some videos of Kevin o hara (alcohol mastery), read SR, post update
1030pm- bed
thats a great plan for staying busy.
maybe i can rephrase scotts question:
what is your plan for RECOVERY?
Old 07-18-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good to see you here Stewey, how's it going tonight? I agree, let's talk about your plan for recovery going forward. What do you have in mind? I know you want this so bad. I also know you can do it, I believe in you. I too was a serial relapser but after making major changes I am feeling really very strong. What kind of other changes can you add other than just staying busy? Staying busy does help a lot- it is something I try to do daily, but let's get some other recovery specific stuff in the mix. Do you have some idea? Can we help?
Old 07-18-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Evening guys

Yeah I'm just making plans to be busy at the moment aren't I. That will carry me some of the way but it's not really what I need to sustain this effort to quit drinking. I could stay busy for another 20 years and still be wishing for a drink!

The 2 odd years I did not really class as "recovery". The reason being is I switched alcohol for junk food and just scoffed my way to bed every night. It was replacement for alcohol and didn't aid recovery.

So yeah, Please assist me in understanding what recovery may look like. I get that it involves effort and action on my part but I need to make sure I'm focussed in the right way to "recover" and not just switching one habit for another.

Does anyone have any pointers for the steps I could take to promote recovery?

What works?

What doesn't work?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Does anyone have any pointers for the steps I could take to promote recovery?
Not sure "pointers" are going to do it. You've got three years of SR posts to draw on, and yet you struggle. This isn't a fault of yours, or a fault of SR. People "recover" differently.

I liken it to learning a language. Some folks can pick up a "Learn a Language" book or CD and be conversing in no time. Others need a classroom setting, learning on our own isn't a strength. That's why I think you've gotten so many suggestions to seek face-to-face support, attend AA, get yourself into rehab, and so forth. Learn the language of recovery with others in the same situation.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a pretty simple intro into what I call recovery plans Stewy

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

D
Old 07-18-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dee's link is a great one.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey Stewy,
The recovery plan link that Dee posted was a GREAT first step for me.
Somewhere along the line I heard it referred to as a toolbox.
So I looked at it like I could keep in my toolbox whatever tools worked for me and toss the ones that didn't.
Eventually I figured out I had to put AS MANY tools in there as I could possibly get my hands on to figure out my own way of putting myself back together.
Now, I'm figuring out the most important tools and putting aside the less important ones. Keeping track of the best tools and taking good care of maintaining them.

At the beginning, I think the best thing I learned was, there are a crap load of tools, that you are not going to know what to do with, the instructions don't make a whole lot of sense if there even is any...

Some things you can figure out on your own how to make it work. Other things you'll get further ahead faster if you open your ears and your mind to the experience of others.

In the end, the toolbox is yours and yours alone to use, however you wish to use it.
Good luck Stewy, Recovery is a lifelong process of working to live your best life. Make that first choice and commit to yourself! You can do it.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Not sure "pointers" are going to do it. You've got three years of SR posts to draw on, and yet you struggle. This isn't a fault of yours, or a fault of SR. People "recover" differently.

I liken it to learning a language. Some folks can pick up a "Learn a Language" book or CD and be conversing in no time. Others need a classroom setting, learning on our own isn't a strength. That's why I think you've gotten so many suggestions to seek face-to-face support, attend AA, get yourself into rehab, and so forth. Learn the language of recovery with others in the same situation.
This is excellent!
Old 07-19-2017, 05:03 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I used to be stubborn and be like "what's with all this 'plan' talk?"; "plan for what?" I soon discovered that it is simply a way to re-direct yourself when your mind/body wants to cave in and hit the bottle. In the beginning, I used 'alcohol is poison', and that was all. Worked for a while, and got a half year in on being stubborn. I'm wide awake at 5:45am ready to eat healthy and go about my day.

I've had many relapses, as I've read you have too. I can only tell you what I've put in my plan, but the biggest part for me in the beginning is to replace the calories you've consumed via alcohol with good food. I'm still very early in recovery, but I learn from each experience. I used to confuse hunger with alcohol cravings. Buy plenty of good, dense calorie food to sustain and heal your body. A lot of the time, you'll realize that you just needed to eat. I have to force feed myself sometimes, so I get 'cheat' food like ice cream and soda for emergencies. The tricky part is having a tool-kit for what happens after a couple/few weeks when you start feeling better. I have a few people to hold me accountable this time, so I hope to develop my notes to go back to for most situations. I'm finding that a broad scope plan for say after work, weekends, invitations to alcohol events, holidays, lonely days. For me it's about what to do during those occasions is where planning is helping. Broad scope planning seems to cover more bases than super specific planning. I'm beginning to bracket things into more specific plans, but the broad spectrum ideas are there.

Everyone is different, but a good start is to have a recourse for each one of H.A.L.T.'s elements, and how you can address them for how those things affect you. Planning takes work, and it's easy to put off, but it has slowly given me more and more tools to stave off the sauce. I'm not perfect, and am making the same mistakes at times, but finding ways to get through the moments are helping with my overall state of mind toward sobriety.