Notices

When is right to go back to work???

Old 07-17-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When is right to go back to work???

I have only been on this site a week or two, and I am on day 3. I have nothing much to do with myself during the day and I think this is why I keep drinking?

During the day it's all the usual stuff, household chores, deal with the pets, and watch my partner sleep until 1-2 in the day because he has sleep apnoea. Over the past few months I have looked into volunteering but I am still waiting on an induction for 1 and the other just hasn't seemed to kick off. I want to return to full time paid work as I know this would reduce my drinking and keep me busy....... what's everyones thoughts???

I have been a choatic binger for 7 years and always had money coming in so never really had to worry, is anyone else feeling this way????
Old 07-17-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I started back as soon as I felt mentally able to 'handle the world' without thinking about drinking non stop ALL day. I think it's best to stay as active as possible..you know 'Idle hands' type thing..
Old 07-17-2017, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Day 3 is fantastic!

I think that finding a balance is the best way to approach it. I cut back on my activities somewhat because I needed more time to just 'be'. However, having not much going on can lead to boredom and thinking about drinking. Whether you pursue volunteer work or paid work, it sounds like it would be a good thing for you. I know that sometimes if people are concerned about money coming in, they decide to buy something special for themselves which keeps them focused on not spending the money on alcohol.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

back in 2002 i thought i had hit bottom,what with adding crack into the mix of what i was already doing,crashing my truck, getting fired, a d evicted all in 1 week.i started going to NA meetings. the fog started lifting after a few weeks. i had the thought, and said it out loud at a meeting," if i just get back to work, ill be doing a lot better."
aaaand i heard," good luck with that."
and," works good, but dont make an alkie/addict stay clean and sober."
1st paycheck i was at the store for a 40 ouncer. within a week it was a pint and a 6 pack.

"I know this would reduce my drinking and keep me busy....... what's everyones thoughts??? "

i get the idea that by using "reduce my drinking", youre thinking of drinking in moderation?
Old 07-17-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

work won't curb or cure your drinking. only 100% commitment to never drinking again will do that.

get yourself some solid consistent contiguous recovery time under your belt first...and know that thinking we want a job is a lot different than doing the footwork to get and then keep a job.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Allyson,

Great job on your first few days!! I was working when I first got sober, so can't help with the timeline, but I do think that having a schedule/routine helps. What kind of jobs have you had in the past? What would you like to do?
Old 07-18-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi,

Maybe you could learn a language or how to code, both are very interesting intellectual journeys.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Allison!

I managed to hold down my job when I was drinking so I've worked all through my recovery. I do think it will be good to have something to do, whether voluntary or paid. It can be helpful to distract yourself from thoughts of drinking.

That said, just be aware that your AV will use anything and everything to make you drink. When you're not working, your AV will tell you to drink because you're bored. When you're working your AV will tell you to drink because you survived your first day, your first week, or because you had a tough day in the office. It will also tell you that "proper" alcoholics can't hold down a job so if you're working you're probably ok to drink.

As long as you recognise that your AV is never acting in your best interests and should therefore ALWAYS be ignored, I think you will hugely benefit from getting out there and getting engaged in something meaningful to you. Don't rush yourself and don't start working all hours straight away. Build it up slowly. I wish you lots of luck
Old 07-18-2017, 12:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your comments, I definitely need to get into a routine and keep busy. It's the commitment though and I fear that if I fall off the wagon then I'll lose everything and it does scare me. The thought of going back to where I was terrifies me too.

The past few years I have been a full time mum so it has been a while since I last had a job, and it's not easy just to walk into one.

This morning I have to call my doctor for blood test results and hopefully get put onto acamprosate ( don't know if that's how it's spelt) so maybe get on that and get into a routine and look into learning something new and training maybe before I try running before I can walk..........