SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Encouraging physical signs (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/412886-encouraging-physical-signs.html)

tealily 07-17-2017 12:07 PM

Encouraging physical signs

I'm searching for every bit of encouragement that I can to sustain me in this new path.

I hope it's not annoying to be so "positive" because I certainly have my struggles and years of regret and shame, depression and cyclical worries.

But I'm finding that it helps keep me on track to remind myself of the emotional and physical benefits I'm already seeing of not drinking, rather than focus on what I might be "missing" -- though that is seeming less and less appealing and more and more ridiculous as time goes on.

So, an accounting:

-- I'm sleeping great, waking up rested and relieved, and falling asleep naturally at a decent hour, not just "passing out".

-- My blood pressure was 119/73 a few minutes ago, after having crept up to worrisome levels only a few months ago when I was daily drinking.

-- I've lost 6 pounds and my stomach is almost flat, after looking like I was 7 months pregnant with bloat just a few months ago.

-- I'm taking the antidepressant that had been prescribed to me but which I had stopped taking so I could drink.

-- I have been laughing out loud.

-- I have an early morning appointment tomorrow, and I don't need to worry if I will have wine seeping from my pores when I go in.

-- My skin looks glowier, my face less puffy, and my eyes white instead of bloodshot.

-- I'm in my 50s, and I'm getting more compliments/looks lately than I've had in years and years.

-- I've saved at least $550 on wine alone. I used to drink about a bottle a day. That's the calories of eating a Big Mac every single night.

I'm only 55 days in, so I know there's more good to come.

I truly see I was poisoning my mind and body.

Hope this encourages someone!

BobLobLaw 07-17-2017 12:16 PM

Be positive. Brag it up! 55 days is awesome.

My blood pressure was a big red flag that got me thinking I might be drinking too much. I'm down to 122/78 which is normal/ideal.

Alcohol is a nasty poison. It's amazing how well the body reacts when you stop poisoning it.

gregknight 07-17-2017 12:35 PM

Good for you, tealilly! Many of us spend so many days, months, years, in such poor, alcoholic shape, that when we get some sober time under our belts, suddenly people start asking us if we started working out, lost weight, just got back from vacation, etc. It came as kinda of a shock to me that so many told me how good and healthy I looked.

Keep it up and use that positive encouragement!

thomas11 07-17-2017 12:37 PM

Congratulations, that is a very good list of positives. In reality, many of the things you laid out are what "normal" people experience their whole lives. But since we are alcoholics, some of those normal things get out of whack and when they return we have a true appreciation for little things like a good nights sleep.

Chilledice 07-17-2017 12:45 PM

That's AWESOME news ! And never annoying for being positive! It gets better and better :-)

tealily 07-17-2017 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 6541209)
Congratulations, that is a very good list of positives. In reality, many of the things you laid out are what "normal" people experience their whole lives. But since we are alcoholics, some of those normal things get out of whack and when they return we have a true appreciation for little things like a good nights sleep.

You are so right, thomas11. They are all pretty basic, normal things, but they feel like such a blessing in comparison! Amazing how miserable we can make ourselves. I've been rediscovering such simple pleasures. And finding the "old me" again.

Crazy what harm we can do to ourselves, as if life isn't hard enough on its own.

:thanks

joandmelandhan 07-17-2017 12:50 PM

tealily don't hold back you're doing amazing!!! I personally find all of your post genuine, positive and kind. Not that I'm stalking you of course lol!
It is actually pretty amazing the changes we can see and feel and just imagine what's going on inside. Liver, heart in fact every internal organ is viciously attacked by alcohol abuse.
Your progress is brilliant long may it continue! xxx

applewakesup 07-17-2017 02:16 PM

LOVE this!!!! I can relate with most of your positive things and I am so grateful for those things too. It's the beauty of sobriety that keeps me sober more than the fear of drinking consequences. Thanks!

SimplyFree 07-17-2017 06:58 PM

Great stuff tealily!! Makes you feel young and new all over again in many ways!

Mattq2 07-17-2017 07:04 PM

I love the positive success stories. You're doing great.

SoberLeigh 07-17-2017 07:16 PM

Really good stuff, tealily!!!!!!!

Be proud! :)

Keep on.

Sobriety gets better and better.

axeman5971 07-17-2017 07:40 PM

Great Jon on 55!

I am starting to feel the physical/energy benefits and the mood/spirit benefits. I am excited about the complexion and glow, the brighter eyes, and hopefully a little weight loss!

You're an inspiration.

Normancita 07-17-2017 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by tealily (Post 6541170)
I'm searching for every bit of encouragement that I can to sustain me in this new path.

I hope it's not annoying to be so "positive" because I certainly have my struggles and years of regret and shame, depression and cyclical worries.

But I'm finding that it helps keep me on track to remind myself of the emotional and physical benefits I'm already seeing of not drinking, rather than focus on what I might be "missing" -- though that is seeming less and less appealing and more and more ridiculous as time goes on.

So, an accounting:

-- I'm sleeping great, waking up rested and relieved, and falling asleep naturally at a decent hour, not just "passing out".

-- My blood pressure was 119/73 a few minutes ago, after having crept up to worrisome levels only a few months ago when I was daily drinking.

-- I've lost 6 pounds and my stomach is almost flat, after looking like I was 7 months pregnant with bloat just a few months ago.

-- I'm taking the antidepressant that had been prescribed to me but which I had stopped taking so I could drink.

-- I have been laughing out loud.

-- I have an early morning appointment tomorrow, and I don't need to worry if I will have wine seeping from my pores when I go in.

-- My skin looks glowier, my face less puffy, and my eyes white instead of bloodshot.

-- I'm in my 50s, and I'm getting more compliments/looks lately than I've had in years and years.

-- I've saved at least $550 on wine alone. I used to drink about a bottle a day. That's the calories of eating a Big Mac every single night.

I'm only 55 days in, so I know there's more good to come.

I truly see I was poisoning my mind and body.

Hope this encourages someone!

Reading this helped me so much.....thank you!!!

TheProdigy 07-18-2017 12:13 AM

Great job, way to go!

Bib 07-18-2017 12:19 AM

Well done tealily! Thats a good aim for us newbies - who's skin is crap and weight is piling on - it really is encouraging to see light at the middle of the tunnel

thomas11 07-19-2017 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by tealily (Post 6541213)
You are so right, thomas11. They are all pretty basic, normal things, but they feel like such a blessing in comparison! Amazing how miserable we can make ourselves. I've been rediscovering such simple pleasures. And finding the "old me" again.

Crazy what harm we can do to ourselves, as if life isn't hard enough on its own.

:thanks

Most definitely, it also reinforces the saying around here that being an alcoholic is a lot of damn work. And if you think about it, its kind of true. Its much easier just living a normal life.

least 07-19-2017 07:02 PM

People used to say to me, oh, you must be doing well, you look great. :) My well being is reflected in my face. :)

My favorite physical sign of sobriety is waking up feeling good. That never gets old. :)

ThatWasTheOldMe 07-19-2017 07:43 PM

That's great to hear, tealily!

tealily 07-20-2017 09:16 AM

I'm down two more pounds today! 8 total.

I'm surprised because I'm subbing some chocolate for alcohol but I guess I'm also not gorging on junk food late at night while drinking or eating greasy, carb laden food when sick the next day.

Interesting how our bodies respond to decent nutrition. 😀

izzy8 07-20-2017 10:02 AM

so encouraging- thanks for posting!