Notices

Day 1

Old 07-17-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hey guys,

Back on day one, been nearly 4 months of solid daily drinking, before that over 2 years sober.

Did I find any answers from the huge number of beer cans I've just ploughed through - no

The last few drinking sessions I've had I've started to notice that it's getting harder and harder to actually stomach the alcohol, I was buying more than I could drink and there were a couple of nights when I was wishing that I didn't have to drink anymore. That's AV for you, it totally brainwashed me to the point I genuinely believed I needed to drink everyday and that it was a task that needed doing like going to work or washing the car.

It's going to be hard but I'm willing to do what is necessary to make the changes. And I will need to make some big changes.

I'm grateful for my family, daughter and my job, and very fortunate that all of this is intact still

Have a good day everyone
Old 07-17-2017, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

You CAN do this!
Welcome back Stewy
Old 07-17-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 7/10/17

I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

1) What made you break your sobriety after such a long time?

2) How quickly, if at all, did you return to your prior drinking level?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Stewy- you have an awareness that drinking is not good. You have not lost your family, daughter or job.
Yet.
I was aware and gave up -or was too addicted or whatever. Embrace that knowledge- use it.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
You CAN do this!
Welcome back Stewy
Thanks midnight rider!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post
It's going to be hard but I'm willing to do what is necessary to make the changes. And I will need to make some big changes.
Welcome back Stewy. What specific/big changes are you planning on making? It might help to actually write them down so you have some motivation/accountability right off the bat. There are a lot of people here who use a whole host of recovery programs and plans that are more than willing to help you - but you have to take action first.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DyerMaker View Post
I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

1) What made you break your sobriety after such a long time?

2) How quickly, if at all, did you return to your prior drinking level?
In reference to 1 I moved out of my house after breaking up with my girlfriend. Stupid reason for starting drinking again

Regarding number 2 I returned to the exact same level of drinking which was between 5 and 10 pints of beer daily, every evening for nearly 4 months. There was no real discussion that went on in my own head about moderation / cutting down , nor was there any thinking that I would in any way be able to control the drinking so it was completely ridiculous to even start again in the first place

It became top priority in my life, I made sure I worked and saw my daughter as these things to me are essential however rather than enjoying / living life in a mindful and productive way, I just lived for the next time I could drink (which was mostly until I passed out)

On the rare occasions I did not pass out, I became very irritable and grouchy, jittery as the effects of the alcohol wore off- but still I just continued to plough through can after can- this was noticeable the weekend just gone- awful feeling

I need to stop for me
Old 07-17-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am glad you are back and willing to start working on sobriety again!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Please go to your doctor. Seek the professional help you need to get sober..
You can do this for you and your daughter !

Once and for all!
Old 07-17-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back! Like others have note you still have your family and job for now.. I was starting to alienate everyone/everything because,like you, I lived to drink. I did the bare minimum at work on everything,jobs,relationships,ect..came after my want/need to drink. This video really helped me..Hopefully it'll help you/others as well,my friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foj3lB7vtDo
Old 07-17-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since 7/10/17

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post
In reference to 1 I moved out of my house after breaking up with my girlfriend. Stupid reason for starting drinking again

Regarding number 2 I returned to the exact same level of drinking which was between 5 and 10 pints of beer daily, every evening for nearly 4 months. There was no real discussion that went on in my own head about moderation / cutting down , nor was there any thinking that I would in any way be able to control the drinking so it was completely ridiculous to even start again in the first place

It became top priority in my life, I made sure I worked and saw my daughter as these things to me are essential however rather than enjoying / living life in a mindful and productive way, I just lived for the next time I could drink (which was mostly until I passed out)

On the rare occasions I did not pass out, I became very irritable and grouchy, jittery as the effects of the alcohol wore off- but still I just continued to plough through can after can- this was noticeable the weekend just gone- awful feeling

I need to stop for me
Thank you for the insight. I think our experiences are helpful to others as well as our selves.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Go well, Stewy
Old 07-17-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Drinking is a death sentence for people like us. Losing all the things that are important to us is a big sacrafice (sp) but losing our life to this devil is the worst. Drinking now reminds me when I was a kid. I'd take all kinds of chances thinking nothing bad would happen to me. I thought nothing of the dangerous things I did. And I really didn't think of the affects my actions had on others. I was in my own world and thought nothing of it. Today I feel lucky I'm alive but have many regrets of all the people that paid a price for my foolishness. My wife, my child, family and friends paid dearly for my self-centeredness and addiction. Sadly, my story is common. I truly hope you take the many suggestions you have been offered seriously before you end up like me. Losing yourself is much worse than losing everything you think is important to you. John
Old 07-17-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

One last thing. One of my best friend's mother in high school was an alcoholic. She never left her bedroom. My friends father was a great guy but knew back then that there was nothing he could do to help her other than keep her comfortable and supply her with alcohol. She eventually died. There wasn't the resources available back then that are available today. I can't imagine the pain that family went through. My point is that for most people there are many resourses that are available to keep this from happening. People don't have to die from this sickness like they did before. And families don't have to suffer like they did before. So Stewy, what are you going to do different this time? John
Old 07-17-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, I agree with Scott's suggestion of putting your plans down on paper so that you are focused on specific ways to get through each day.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Big changes were what I needed too Stewy. I didin't regret making any of those changes tho - I got my life back.

D
Old 07-17-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Better days are coming, Stewy. You sound fed up and ready to stick to a plan.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you're ready now to get back into life Stewy. Great decision! Hold strong...you already know the beginning isn't easy, but it's all worth it!
Old 07-17-2017, 03:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome back Stewy. What specific/big changes are you planning on making? It might help to actually write them down so you have some motivation/accountability right off the bat. There are a lot of people here who use a whole host of recovery programs and plans that are more than willing to help you - but you have to take action first.
Thanks Scott, I'll make that list in the morning when I'm at work, a lot of it is going to be how I plan to fill the free time in
Old 07-17-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your wisdom and advice. I will post again tomorrow as I'm sure cravings will be around.

Good night everyone