SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   new to sobriety- 6 weeks and struggling (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/412799-new-sobriety-6-weeks-struggling.html)

Rosesarered81 07-15-2017 09:25 PM

new to sobriety- 6 weeks and struggling

New to this forum and sobriety. I've been thinking about getting sober for the last few years. I am in my mid 30's have two small children, a great career and husband. After a final embarrassing drunken night I decided it was time to stop. I don't know if I am an alcoholic, I don't know if I want to label myself as an alcoholic. I just know alcohol and I don't mesh. I went to one meeting, and then got busy and seemed to be doing fine. But this last week I've been feeling so lonely and angry. I miss drinking. I'm irritated , sad, bored, about it all. I know I need to stay on this course but I am feeling so resentful about it all. Anyway think its time to get involved with the sober community and am here. Thanks for listening.

Dee74 07-15-2017 09:36 PM

Hi rosesarered :)

I think a lot of us can identify with how you're feeling - for some of us drinking was our only respite, our only downtime...in some cases drinking was our social life too.

We can rebuild a sober life - and it will be even better than the old drinking life - but it takes time and support.

Please do lean on the support you'll find here.

you already know what drinking brings you..it bought you here.
Give sobriety a chance :)

D

Rosesarered81 07-15-2017 10:00 PM

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement Dee74. It is a very strange process, and am sort of craving support from like minded people. My husband is great, but he doesn't 'get it'. So thank you :) Looking forward to digging into some of the posts.

CaptainHaddock 07-15-2017 10:52 PM

Welcome to the forum Rosesarered! As Dee said, a sober life can replace a life with alcohol, with plenty of change (pardon the pun). Well done on your decision - stick with it and keep reading and posting.

SoberLifeForMe 07-15-2017 11:48 PM

Welcome to SR, Roses! I'll second what Dee said, that your new sober life will be even better than your drinking life. Just give it some time and effort.

I'm almost six months sober. I went to a friend's 40th birthday party tonight. He's a non-drinker (always has been). But I knew there would be people there drinking. Nobody was out of line or drunk like I would have been. I had a great time chatting with friends and catching up. Then, we came home and watched a late night movie with our older children.

It sure beats my old life of drinking to blackout, acting like a fool, not remembering anything the next day, and feeling like death. I rather enjoy my new, calm, "boring" life.

Please stick around and learn about recovery and get a plan together. I guarantee you you'll never regret waking up sober.

SeanFox87 07-15-2017 11:58 PM

Hi Rosesarered, welcome to the forum. In my experience from previous attempts at quitting you get to a certain stage where you forget about the bad things alcohol has done to your life and you start to romanticize about the drink. 6 weeks is amazing though and you should be proud of yourself, it's only going to get better for you. I remember being 8 months clean once and thinking I could drink again, I never felt so awful in my life at losing all my good work. The thoughts about alcohol will go away with time and I'm sure you'll feel so much better about your sober lifestyle.

PhoenixJ 07-16-2017 02:56 AM

Welcome Rosey. Hmmm
your words ring true of the anacronym I use ..which is used by many..HALTS
if I am stressed, overwhelmed or feeling like crap..am I Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired/Thirsty or Sad? Often I find eating, hydrating or sleeping WILL help. Just for that day. The other stuff? I talk to people- at meetings or professional friends- like my psychologist.
Support to you.

RetiredGuy 07-16-2017 04:43 AM

Roses, welcome and congrats on 6 weeks. The thing that has amazed me is how much happier I am now that I am not constantly craving a drink. Stick with it and you will feel the same way soon!

MidnightRider 07-16-2017 06:42 AM

Hey Roses! Welcome

SR really helped me with a place to come ... The Support system is incredible... Saved my life for sure.

CHECK out the July Newcomers Thread..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html

FeelingL0st 07-16-2017 06:54 AM

HI Rosey,
Continue to hang in here with us.
This forum is a wonderful place for support.
You mentioned a meeting. Maybe when you are bored or feel irritated you can attend another one. I know they help me and it gives me a plan and I come away with determination.
Good luck to you and thank you for sharing
P.S. I wanted to add, your thoughts and feelings are so normal. Try to remember that's all they are and as long as you don't act on them, it's ok to feel crappy on some days

Rosesarered81 07-16-2017 07:22 AM

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. This is definitely a process, and I am hoping with therapy, yoga, trying to eat well and rest things will get easier.

BrandNewLife 07-16-2017 07:53 AM

Hi Roses -
I'm also a newbie, early thirties, 2 small kids, with a husband who is a 'normie' :) I've also been working through yoga for recovery and it has been amazingly helpful. If you need a sober buddy to chat with, I'd love one too!

Rosesarered81 07-16-2017 03:13 PM

Hi there, thanks for the kind words! Would love a newbie chat friend :) Any advice/tips is welcome. I am currently willing myself to go to a yoga class because I know it ill make me feel better, but I am feeling extraordinariy lazy :)

Midwest1981 07-16-2017 04:19 PM

Roses- I am the same age as you I think! Welcome to SR! 6 weeks is great. It does get better and you do get more content as time goes on. Things really start to get better when you start embracing sobriety and start realizing how much alcohol has held you back. Exercise has been key for me!! It really helps my mood and gives me something to look forward too.

I did realize I am an alcoholic. I hate to think that but I would rather admit it then try to pretend I am not and be drunk all the time! I am just accepting I can't handle alcohol. Not even just one.

least 07-16-2017 05:54 PM

If you want a little inspiration, read our stories of recovery in the stories forum. :)

Stories of Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Rosesarered81 07-16-2017 07:47 PM

Thank you!

Rosesarered81 07-16-2017 07:50 PM

I'm 35 :) 6 weeks is the longest I've ever gone, outside of being pregnant! I know the voice creeping in saying maybe I can moderate is bull, and from what I've been reading this is pretty normal for this point. When I look at every ****** thing that has happened, from embarrassing drunken escapades, to promiscuity, to dangerous situations. Everything bad that has happened has been because I was drunk. I don't know why I don't want to call myself an alcoholic. I guess it just sounds so ominous and "final"

SoberLifeForMe 07-16-2017 10:29 PM

It took me a while to accept the term alcoholic as well. But in reality, you get to define who you are. Nobody can put a label on you. If you don't like "alcoholic," why not use something that you may perceive has a positive connotation, such as "person in recovery." There's something powerful about putting a positive spin on something that others may sometimes use to label us as being weak.

Just something to consider.

PurpleKnight 07-17-2017 09:46 AM

Welcome to the Forum Rosesarered!! :wave: