Notices

Dealing with emotions/anger (Day 15!)

Old 07-15-2017, 02:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with emotions/anger (Day 15!)

Hi,

I'm now 15 days without alcohol and feel physically very well.

Emotionally I am not doing so well. My emotional responses to people/events etc seem very extreme. I have experienced so many intense feelings these last few days.

Yesterday I got into a disagreement with a colleague at work and behaved totally out of character. During the discussion I was so frustrated, I was pacing around and waving my arms about very animatedly explaining my point of view, talking over the other person, crying, saying how angry I was and not really caring about the consequences. (Previously, when I was drinking, I would just be really passive and agreeable for the sake of a quiet life).

Today I went to a social event with a group of complete strangers, I had never met before. I felt very confident and happy. Felt like I had loads to talk about and had so much fun. I was literally laughing hysterically at some of the jokes I heard. And I felt extremely connected with some of the people I met....like "These people are so nice, like soulmates!!" Very intense! (previously, when drinking, I was always self conscious, reserved and quiet)

I then went to the gym and felt unusually euphoric 30 minutes into my work out.

All emotions feel strong and at times overwhelming. I have a bad headache now (and I have no painkillers available in my apartment as I was at risk of overdosing while drunk so had to get rid of all meds).

The anger about yesterdays argument has persisted. I feel that I cannot tolerate the feeling and don't know what to do with it. Previously I would have drank wine and the feeling would quickly be gone. I am too angry to attempt meditation or distract myself with TV/Book.

Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of the bad feeling?

Has anyone else experienced these intense emotions in the early days of quitting drink? How long does this last for? I'm not sure how long I can cope with the intensity of my feelings! Although there is no other option than to cope (I won't drink). It would be nice to know how long this goes on for though?

Can anyone help?
Old 07-15-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Peppermintea

I liken it to a dam - for a long time we dammed up our feelings..

now we're sober the dam wall is cracking and all these emotions are spilling & tumbling out.

It can take a little time to re-learn how to use emotions properly again...but you will.

In the meantime, I had to learn how to stop, breathe and think of the appropriate level of response to things.

When I got that wrong, I had to learn how to apologise...

It really will get better, I promise

D
Old 07-16-2017, 01:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hang in there. What you are experiencing is normal. My emotions were all over the place for about 6 weeks before they started to level out, or maybe before I could channel them and analyze them. Try and just be very conscious of this. If you feel anger or some other emotion coming on at work, it may be best to step out of the situation, if you can, for a minute, take a deep breath and collect yourself.
You're doing great. This too, shall pass.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My emotions were asleep. I drank them into submission. Being sober means very labile, fluent and at times overwhelming emtions still overcome me..17 months sober. The most important thing I have learnt is not to make any decisions when emotionally charged- good or bad. To wait, journal, talk to people and reflect. Counselling helps. I am not stupid, and have a lifetimes experiences....that run through an emotionally immature filter. They will not be put back into the box. CBT helps with a psychologist.