SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I want to be sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/412761-i-want-sober.html)

RuneStone 07-15-2017 07:28 AM

I want to be sober

Hello Everyone,
8 days ago my dad rescued me from a 4 day binge. I detoxed at his house and it was terrible. I won't go into all that but I still barely have a job so that's good. I'm looking into programs here like life ring, Aa etc.
I think this sites great. Thank you for being here.

Mizzuno 07-15-2017 07:36 AM

Welcome to SR!
You can stay sober with the help of many different methods. AA, SMART, Life Ring, this forum, AVRT and others.

Removing alcohol from your life will change everything. Its good that you are reaching out for help. This forum is a very valuable tool in my life to remain sober.

Look around and see what works for you and then run with it!
So glad that you found us.

Allyson1986xxx 07-15-2017 07:37 AM

Glad your here, well done!!

jenuk 07-15-2017 07:45 AM

Hello RuneStone. Wanting to be sober and being willing to take action seem to be the key ingredients from what I have seen. You already seem to have these in place. You should join our July class, we have a good crowd in there now making progress. It really helps to check in daily.

Spidey03 07-15-2017 08:37 AM

Today is my 4th day sober. I just want to stay sober now. I go to AA and its great but i can nevet seem to get past 2 weeks. Do love this sight.

PhoenixJ 07-15-2017 09:37 AM

WELCOME...Runestone- SR is a good anchor..it is always here.
use whatever it takes-one day, your dad might not come. Every family has their breaking point. AA is a good start. It is most places, free and people there know what you have been through. No one is special in addiction, it is a common crap factor. I go to meetings- not because I am an AA born again reformed person. I go because it gets me out of my headspace, it gets me out of isolating and for the time I am at a meeting- I am not drinking. I learn, share and grow.

RuneStone 07-15-2017 10:04 AM

Thanks all. Good job spidey on 4 days. Physically that's the hardest.
Phoenix. It might have sounded like I was a kid but no I am 57. My dads in his eighties. I'm still acting like a kid. The big book is spot on in its observations of alcoholics and alcoholism in my opinion. I'm looking forward to attending as soon as I can.

Fly N Buy 07-15-2017 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spidey03 (Post 6538459)
Today is my 4th day sober. I just want to stay sober now. I go to AA and its great but i can nevet seem to get past 2 weeks. Do love this sight.

The fellowship had a huge impact on me but it was working with a friend who had been through the steps where changes started. Step work??

Welcome to you Spidey and Rune
Keep coming back

Dee74 07-15-2017 05:18 PM

Welcome to SR Runestone :)

RuneStone 07-15-2017 05:26 PM

Fly n by, The step part I have some trouble with. Powerlessness and character defects don't sound like a real 'pick me up'. I'm willing to listen though. I have the desire to stop drinking.

Fly N Buy 07-15-2017 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by RuneStone (Post 6539041)
Fly n by, The step part I have some trouble with. Powerlessness and character defects don't sound like a real 'pick me up'. I'm willing to listen though. I have the desire to stop drinking.

Haaa - yea, you not the first one. I am the same age as you and started my journey a few years back.

When I was young I first watched a couple of the classic alcoholic movies. The Lost Weekend stuck with me for some reason. I thought, wow who could ever get to that point?

In the last couple years of my drinking I thought of that movie as I hide vodka bottles from my wife in the garbage can. She'd never find them here.........naw, powerless?? Not me! I had my pride.

I struggled with powerlessness for a bit - mostly cause I didn't understand the context in the program.

At three years I can make a long list of things I am powerless over. I can also make a list of things I am not. My wife of 35 years falls into the first category :)

When I engaged in active alcoholism I am indeed powerless over alcohol. Today I do what I need to and don't pick up that first drink. Alcohol has lost it's power over me as long as I continue to do what I need to do. This isn't a sentence, btw - it's a reprieve = freedom.

"Willingness, honesty and open mindedness are the essentials of recovery." It's not a how program, but a Who program........

Glad your here, best on your journey Rune

Hevyn 07-15-2017 06:25 PM

Hi RuneStone. Add me to the list of those who were older when they quit. You've picked a good time to do it - there's still plenty of life left. :) It really helped me to share my thoughts here - you are never alone.

RuneStone 07-15-2017 06:27 PM

Powerless. Went and got some ice cream. I got home and started enjoying it. I looked at the label:'Rich chocolate with just a hint of vermouth'. What the...
I see what you mean. If I was to so much as have a sip of beer that would be the end. Key: no first sip. Ice cream without vermouth is good too. :)

Gottalife 07-15-2017 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by RuneStone (Post 6539041)

I hope someone has let you know that the desire to stop drinking gets you membership in the fellowship but not sobriety. In our description of the alcoholic we talk about the most powerful desire being insufficient. Also, knowledge appears to be inadequate.

But we do say, very definitely in our experience, that nothing short of vigorous action on the aa program as a way of life will bring about the much desired result.

I tried the osmosis method too and three weeks was the best I could manage. Listening to others was fine as far as it went, but nothing much was accomplished until I began to act on what I was hearing. Then everything changed.

Delilah1 07-15-2017 09:28 PM

Welcome to SR Rune, you will find lots of support here.