Notices

Alcohol

Old 07-14-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol

I am 24 years old and have severe anxiety since the age of 10, and I've been drinking every day since I turned 21. At first, it started off with just a couple glasses of wine a night and then turned out recently to be multiple bottles all day long. I can go 16-18 hours without a drink and then start feeling kinda "weird" I don't know how else to describe it. I know how dangerous withdrawals can be and with my anxiety as soon as I feel any symptom of withdrawal, I start having a panic attack. I am about to graduate with my bachelors degree and I don't want this to get in the way of my success. I have read a lot about tapering and I am.l curious if anybody has had any positive experiences. I know I can stop no problem if it wasn't for the withdrawal symptoms. I don't crave alcohol at all. In fact, I just drink it to feel better.

Thankyou for your time,

E
Old 07-14-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Evan

if you're worried about withdrawal, why not see a Dr? They can help you through and make sure its as risk free as possible?

That's preferable to tapering IMO, which never worked for me.

If I could control my intake, I'd have no need of tapering.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-14-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Man, do you sound exactly like me.

I could have almost written this entire post.

I'm a couple of years older than you but turning 21 was also when my alcohol abuse got bad. I can still remember my birthday, I was not in a good state.

I've had anxiety issues a little less than that, but I've had mental health issues since around the same time. But two years ago I suffered from panic attacks and drinking made them go away, I got rid of the panic attacks but the alcohol never left.

All I can say to you is you sound like you're in a similar place to me, and a couple of years flies by fast. You've no idea what I would do today to have given up two years ago.

Don't waste anymore of your life like I've done. You don't get the time back.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I've tapered before and my thoughts on it..

Ok, so I was fine tapering. However, through some sheer force of dumb luck I've never had bad withdrawal symptoms, even when my drinking was far worse than it is now. So I am a bad example.

So, I tapered before and all it did was prolong my drinking because I'd of been fine without it.

I know different countries have different ways of coming off alcohol so go to the doctors and see what they recommend, but I think that if you can avoid drinking in any way then that sounds like a solid idea to me.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Saying "if you can avoid drinking" by the way means you should go to a doctor and see if they can help you get sober, I'm in no way suggesting you go cold turkey . My dumb luck on this particular subject does not mean it is a wise thing to do.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Evan

if you're worried about withdrawal, why not see a Dr? They can help you through and make sure its as risk free as possible?

That's preferable to tapering IMO, which never worked for me.

If I could control my intake, I'd have no need of tapering.

D

My biggest fear is being hospitalized, so if there is anyway I can detox from home that would be my preference.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi.
Get a doctor's appointment and they should help you to get some meds to safely detox. Detoxing at home, alone, cold turkey can be deadly.
GL
Jules
Old 07-14-2017, 11:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Call your doctor and make an appointment. Let them k ow how much you are drinking, and that you want to stop. You can talk to your doctor about options to help you.