Notices

pros and cons of anti drinking meds

Old 07-14-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

pros and cons of anti drinking meds

Wondering what people's experiences are with anti drinking meds and side effects. i think there are about 6 different products, the oldest one may work the best but has the most dangerous consequences if a slip occurs, the newer ones are less severe but have more side effects over all. thx
Old 07-14-2017, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have tried most of them..... Antibuse only works if you dont drink, and I was able at one point to become almost immune to it during past attempts at sobriety..lol.. I think that the others help with cravings, but at the end of the day, it is up to us. As I posted earlier this morning, I have made it for my paltry 12 days not because of the wife, not because of shame, guilt, etc, I just keep remembering how hard it is to detox after a good 5 day bender. The pain, the mental anguish, the sweats, the shakes, etc....
I want to drink 6 beers too Bob, but I know deep down that it will lead to 10,000 more after that, and likely another divorce, DUIs or even death... Best of luck to you!
Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I would be interested to know too. I have no personal experience of them.

My guess is that none of them can be that good because if any one of them was really good ie stopped cravings, minimal side effects then news of it would spread like wildfire.

Medical advances means there is hope though.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used antabuse for a short time to help me get through my time right out of treatment.
My most noticeable side effects were extreme fatigue after taking them, so I took them at night. And the listed side effects that said skin eruptions were really not exaggerating for me. My face broke out horribly in pimples and boils and ultimately, this was why I stopped taking them and found myself over the hump of vulnerability and gone into my after treatment maintenance routine.

I also take wellbutrin. This was prescribed for me as an anti-depressant. It's also as you may know, a smoking cessation medication. For me, it curbed cravings not just for smoking, but for my cravings for alcohol and over eating.
That's all I have taken. I did not test out the mix of alcohol and antabuse. I had zero desire in finding out how that sickness would feel.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I currently take Wellbutrin which helps reduce cravings. I haven't had any side effects and I believe it helps. I didn't find a difference at the 150 dose, but once I started the 300 dose I did feel a difference. It's also an anti-depressant so that helps with your mood and anxiety as well.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'd ask people to stick to experience in a thread like this rather than opinions.

I have no experience with any of them

The best advice I think for any one thinking about going down that route is to see your Dr. Not every medication will be suitable for everyone.

D
Old 07-15-2017, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No experience with drinking meds. It seems like some might think of antabuse as a "magic pill" or instantaneous fix for drinking. But like AA, therapy, and other methods to get Sober, at the end of the day you need to put in the hard work to make and keep your Sobriety.

~Bunnez
Old 07-15-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have been on antibuse for a couple weeks. For me it has been a great addition to the toolbox. I found that a lot of my headspace was being occupied by thinking/obsessing about drinking (Should I? Shouldn't I? How much? When? Etc). Now I take a pill in the morning and that seals my fate for the day...I have zero desire to test out how well it works!

In my opinion it is a band-aid fix, but it's allowing me to focus my thoughts on recovery rather than fighting the urge to drink. I have noticed I do feel a bit more tired than normal, but that could be because my body is adjusting and healing.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used antabuse in the past and am currently taking it. I honestly would like to get off it but I am taking it more to satisfy the father of my children. WHICH, is not how it is supposed to be used, but we live in a colourful world full of all kinds of different circumstances, so let's be flexible, shall we? The pill is designed as a crutch to get you through a period of enforced sobriety to get you going on the path. You MUST have a plan in place such as AA, therapy, rehab, smart recovery, whatever else your plan consists of to stay sober. The pill alone isn't going to do all the work for you. I think it is a good medication though to get someone started.
I suffer really bad side effects though- I am very tired nearly all of the time and am down to taking a very small dosage 1/4th of the recommended dosage. I am still suffering the exhaustion. I also have had some skin issues/break-outs. Both of these are common side effects but some suffer worse than others. I am particularly sensitive to medication and almost always suffer the listed side effects of anything.

I have also been on and love Campral, it is the anti-craving medication which also works to repair pathways in your brain. Again, not a magic pill. Cravings do not disappear completely but I have found them to be much less frequent and much less strong- entirely manageable IF you decide to manage them, again, this is where your plan comes into play. Despite my earlier statement that I suffer side effects heavily, with Campral I have noticed zero side effects, it is like taking water for me. I have had periods where I took only antabuse, only Campral and both in combination so I have been able to decipher which one the side effects were coming from. I currently take a minimal dose of antabuse simply as a show of dedication to my children's father and a minimal dose of Campral for me because I like it. The normal dose is based on weight. For example, I weight just under 60kg and the full dose is 2 333mg pills/3 times a day, so a total of 6 pills a day. After speaking with my psychiatrist honestly about my recovery and the fact that I feel very strong right now, I now take 2 in the morning and 1 at night.

I have heard that Naltrexone, another anti-craving med, works even better but I could not get a prescription for that here. But it is another one to consider speaking to your doctor about if you are going that route.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am a big fan of any meds that support my mental health and emotional sobriety. I took Antabuse incorrectly at great danger to myself, when I was still drinking and didn't really want to quit; I am lucky that my skipping doses, etc didn't result in terrible things.

When I actually decided to quit, I took Antabuse for the first 90 days of my sobriety. My dr is very serious about it- actually has some patients come in daily to take it- I didn't have a car so I had a sheet I signed, got a witness to sign and date, and it became automatic. I haven't need to take it since then, but it is always an option should a situation or risk to my physical sobriety present itself.

That is because I focus on my emotional sobriety - I believe it is the key to everything and protecting it protects my physical sobriety. I have taken Campral from the beginning and expect to be on it indefinitely; I have had zero cravings, ever. No bad side effects, at all.

I also take meds for sleep and mild depression/anxiety/BPD symptoms- all of which are in check thanks to the meds and my AA program and just the way I live my life. I take Ativan, for anxiety, which is a controlled substance and one alcoholics need to be careful with especially ones like me who have a history of taking more/more often than prescribed. I take Seroquel (quetiapine) for sleep nightly, and it also has an anti-anxiety component. The meds not related directly to my alcoholism are Paxil (paroxetine) at a low dose and lamictal (lamotrigine) for BPD "management." Since I got sober, the latter has been almost a moot point, but we keep me on the med for maintenance.

Again, everyone's experience is different, and drs have different philosophies, etc- I will say that all my meds, and everything else, are tools in my arsenal to keep me living my best life.