Notices

Camping

Old 07-13-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Camping

Hi sober friends -

I'm 3 hours into my first sober camping trip. I thought I was in a good place mentally, but I'm already feeling the tug of AV trying to convince me to have a beer. I'll be here for 4 more days. Can you guys help me fight off my itty bitty s#!++¥ committee?

I have plenty of NA beverages, candy; I'm not tired or hungry. Just sitting around a campfire sober seems so wrong. I need to get in a better headspace.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, but sitting around a campfire sober is soooo right! You can do this. We are here for you. I just did it a couple of weeks ago and, wow, it was a beautiful, calming experience.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
Oh, but sitting around a campfire sober is soooo right! You can do this. We are here for you. I just did it a couple of weeks ago and, wow, it was a beautiful, calming experience.
Thank you. The encouragement helps. I know I can do it! I just didn't expect to be so tempted. Or to start siding with AV. The past hour I've just had circling through my head, "Well, what would it hurt? You can just start at day one when you get back. You're relaxing in the woods for the weekend! Come on, everyone else is enjoying a drink, you should too!"

I know I'm not deprived. I'm CHOOSING to be sober. I'm choosing a better life and to get this monkey off my back.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Think of the conversation you will remember, the constellations at midnight impressed forever on your mind's eye, the odors only you will detect and remember, of honeysuckle, wet grass, and verdant moss.

So. Worth. It.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Me again...think of the pain avoided, not tonight, not even tomorrow morning...
Think of the pain avoided two weeks from now after you are back to drinking full strength, whole hog.

Been there. Done that. Gave away the tee shirt.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stick with it BrandNewLife 💜 your AV is trying to trick you into thinking alcohol+campfire=amazing ...I would hazard a guess that if that was the answer to the equation you wouldnt be embracing sobriety. Try making some new sober associations with camping...focus on the things you never noticed before about camping because you were likely more focused on the booze x
Old 07-13-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just sitting around a campfire sober seems so wrong.

but then so does sitting around in the woods on the phone......

you have the opportunity to re-imprint your associations with being out of doors and camping and to DIS-associate all that from drinking. 'tis a beautiful thing.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by BrandNewLife View Post

I know I'm not deprived. I'm CHOOSING to be sober. I'm choosing a better life and to get this monkey off my back.
Best advice I've seen yet , see You Got This
Old 07-13-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Check out the stars, forage for more wood for the fire. Journal.
Personally I'd be cooking everything on an open flame if I could.
A drink would spell 4days of disaster and would serve no purpose other than a full on relapse with all the trimmings! A wrecked Vaca. and another day one, 7 days of withdrawl hell and a boat load of shame and remorse.
You'll be so thankful tomorrow plus bragging rights!
Toast a marshmallow for me please!
J
Old 07-13-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Take on the fresh air, the stars, the smells - the goodness of nature and the universe which surrounds you.

Think of the pride you will feel when you tuck in for the night totally sober. Think how magnificent it will feel to wake up hang-over-free in the morning, ready for a campfire breakfast and the day before you.

Stay close to SR.

We will stand with you against your AV,
Old 07-13-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hear + REMEMBER the owls, maybe the Whip-Poor-Will. Watch the bats circle the light of your fire, catching moths and mosquitoes.

Gosh it is great!!

These are the very things that make sober eves and nights so good for me. I live on a slightly rural place.

Of course I fight ticks and chiggers and snakes full time.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks so much guys. I knew I could count on you for words of wisdom. I just needed to hear (read) them. I'm feeling much better and will push through.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Old 07-13-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just sitting around a campfire sober seems so wrong.
Nah you just haven't enough experience of the alternative yet

getting drunk and falling into the campfire - that's wrong...

forgetting every minute of some of the *great* places you've camped at...thats wrong...

ruining your mates camping trip because you need to go to hospital (and not even for the campfire thing) thats wrong too.

You have a great chance to make some great memories and start some new traditions - take it

if that AV keeps working on you tell it you know it's not that last glass that does you in, but the first.

Don't take that first drink - no matter what,

D
Old 07-13-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If it gets to much go exploring or take a hike. Sometimes a change of scenery may help! Make sure to eat good too.

You will thank yourself in the morning when you wake up feeling good you will be able to enjoy the quiet while everyone else is sleeping it off!! Have fun!!
Old 07-13-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Look at it as practice. I totally understand how you feel. Watching everyone else get louder and loaded made me feel pretty icky in the early days. Now I really enjoy camping sober.

I go to bed a bit early if things get stupid and I wake up feeling great! (Pay xtra attention to that morning part).

Keep on keepin on! We are cheering for you.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Night one down! Waking up sober does feel amazing. Ready to face the day and make some memories (that I'll actually remember!!) Thank you all for helping me get through last night
Old 07-14-2017, 05:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Awesome!
But where's my marshmallow?
😉
J
Old 07-14-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great work. Its good there is internet for you so you can post and get support when you need it.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jules714 View Post
Awesome!
But where's my marshmallow?
😉
J
I did roast one and toast it to sober life for you all If only I knew how to post pics! I'm hoping I can fight off AV tonight myself, but if I need some extra encouragement, I might be back to bug you all again. Thank you for being here