Notices

Hi

Old 07-11-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Hi everyone. I'm 34, I'll be 35 on July 23rd. I started really drinking in Jan 2012 but it wasn't daily, it was 4-5 days a week, four lokos and the cheap 20% vodka and I couldn't handle too much and I'd atleast wait until 9pm to start drinking. I mostly drink alone do to being bored and social anxiety.

As the years went on I could handle more and more of course and ever since Feb 2016 when I moved I've been drinking daily . I've mostly been buying the cheap 20% vodka for $7 and 2 liters of whatever soda. I start drinking anywhere from 2pm-5pm now but I stay up drinking anywhere from 1-7am before I some how find my bed. I've never actually done anything stupid while drinking except confess my love to a girl...last night. Luckily she was drunk and feels the same way .

I just realized my drinking has become a problem because my BP is going all over the place, from normal and a few times when I'm sober it'll go to 140/110. I plan on tapering myself off of alcohol but after seeing how much I drank from 5pm - 7am this morning I tried to hold off until the evening to begin tapering today =\ My vodka and a 4 loko yesterday added upto 15-16 drinks or so.

But I noticed my BP was really high and started getting the shakes around 3 pm so here I am drinking again but trying to make it a little less that last night and hopefully taper off within a week safely.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 07-11-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

SpankedbyLife, consider doing the detox with the help of a physician. Might be a lot easier.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been thinking about asking the DR for help but I don't want it on my medical record and he's always in a rush to get me out of there when I'm there for just being sick. At my last 2 appointments last month I didn't even know about my elevated blood pressure since he didn't even say anything about. I only found out because the printed out visit summary had a note to eat more veggies and exercise. =\
Old 07-11-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to the forums. You'll find a lot of support here.
My drinking accelerated, too, until I would buy cheap vodka.
I was going to the liquor store at 8:30 am and buying two shooters of whiskey for the walk home, and then beer all day from there.
So you could say drinking became a problem for me, too. This went on for five years in the final stages of my alcoholism.

You're wise to recognize you may have a problem now before you hit the lows I did.
I hope your taper works. I never could have doe it, but others here have.
Best to you and stick around and let us know how you're doing. we care.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Spankedbylife; very glad you found us.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm working on a taper. So far for me....its not working. I have had about 6 shots of hard alcohol and 2 beers. Just to keep the panic away. Everyone here has been thru the same things. You aren't alone and anytime you need to chat someone is always around.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and I'm glad you plan to stop drinking.

Tapering is torture for alcoholics and it doesn't work, not for long. Most of us here have tried and failed, and I ended up drinking more while attempting to taper. I do hope it works for you and we do understand how hard this is.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, SpankedbyLife!

Add me to the list of failed taperers. I tried over and over again and like others, I wound up drinking more.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hope I can do it as from what I've read cold turkey is too dangerous and can't go to a rehab or anything. I made a list starting with the 15 drinks I had and am working my way down by about 2 drinks a night and hopefully will be done after the weekend. ;(
Old 07-11-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

im 8 months sober from alcohol and xanax abuse....its been hell, its not easy at all...in fact its been worse than ever....but im fighting through it....u gotta find that will power to get through it, i think thats the toughest for many of us...the anxiety and panic is ridiculous...ive had 2 panic attacks so far in my 8 months, had to go to the ER. one of them was recently, thought i was having a heart attack or dehydration. nope, just pure panic. i understand u dont want it on ur medical records, but at this point thats probably one of the things holding u back. Alcohol abuse is not uncommon, its actually pretty freakin common in todays world...but u gotta understand that there will always be haters, or people that will have something to say because of ur past, or mistakes, thats a given. but atleast in the end ull be able to say that u got through it and out of it, and will be able to help someone else later....people are gonna talk no matter what u do, u gotta focus on urself and the will the get out of the hole ur in...cuz the longer u keep urself in there, the deeper the hole is gonna get, and the harder it is going to be later to get out. just keep ithat in mind. fight for ur freedom brother. it wont be easy, give it about a year long fight....
Old 07-14-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well that didn't work as planned at all. Tuesday night I started drinking and ended up staying awake drinking until 5 am with a friend. I did cut myself off at the taper point of 2 less drinks the night before. I woke up at 11am feeling kinda weak, by 1:30pm or so I just didn't feel right, got shakey so I checked my BP and pulse, they were 160/112 and pulse 170 .

I decided to just go to the ER. They did an blood test, lots of questions. They mostly just kept me over night Wed, all Thurs and until early monrning today hooked upto a saline drink and vitamin drip. They gave me just a little bit Ativan but not much. Dr said I was good to go today and just wants me to take b1 100mg 3x a day for 90 days.