SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Bastille Day Weekender - our raison d'etre 14-16th July (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/412672-bastille-day-weekender-our-raison-detre-14-16th-july.html)

saoutchik 07-13-2017 03:11 AM

Bastille Day Weekender - our raison d'etre 14-16th July

This week I thought that for the benefit of anyone new to SR I would give a recap of why Weekenders is here.

It goes without saying that the weekend is traditionally the time for R & R, even though many of us have to work, do chores, DIY projects or have family commitments so it follows that it is the weekend is when lots of us find it the toughest to resist our addictions. The upside is that it is also the time we can most appreciate the benefits of doing so.

The main Newcomers forum is the place for specific points or questions but this is somewhere you can post to let us know how you are doing - it might be that you are struggling, in which case the thread will rally round or it might be that you are doing well in which case we would like you to share that with the group.

Food, music, pets, travel and humour are all frequent topics of conversation, as fellow Weekender Gilmer memorably put it, you might just want to say "I am eating cheese" (which would be rather fitting during France's national day).

Basically any contribution or observation you might have that would not warrant a new thread is more than welcome here.

A little bit of history, this thread was started about 4 years ago by Weasel and Mecanix, and I want to offer my sincere thanks to them for this thread which was a great help to me in the early days of my recovery.

The Opening Post has also been written on occasion by, in alphabetical order, Dee, LBrain, Nonsensical and Venecia and I would like to thank them too. I hope I haven't missed anyone out.

BRING ON THE SOBER REVOLUTION!

BixBees505 07-13-2017 03:12 AM

Shotgun?

saoutchik 07-13-2017 03:15 AM

Congratulations BixBees!

saoutchik 07-13-2017 03:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"raison d'etre"

Pretentious Moi?

BixBees505 07-13-2017 03:20 AM

I am in for the weekend. Thanks for the new thread and opener, Sao.

Not sleeping well lately. Oh well.

BixBees505 07-13-2017 03:22 AM

I thought it was clever! And Miss Piggy knows how to dress for every occasion.

lunar 07-13-2017 03:26 AM

Thanks for the intro, sao.

I'm in.

Soberandhealthy 07-13-2017 03:26 AM

I'm struggling what's new .

Soberandhealthy 07-13-2017 03:27 AM

My husband is in the hospital because of me

Soberandhealthy 07-13-2017 03:28 AM

You want to know a secret I'm ugly im bad and I don't deserve anything good

Soberandhealthy 07-13-2017 03:29 AM

He went out for his burthaday and I was supposed to walk the dog but I passed out then he took the dog out and he injured his hand

Soberandhealthy 07-13-2017 03:31 AM

He is in the hospital now and thi is my fault. Why I don't die already I'm an ugly nasty waste of space I hate myself deeply this is never go

Dee74 07-13-2017 03:38 AM

I understand why you feel responsible but I din;t think blaming yourself is very helpful - especially if its making you feel bad about yourself or leading you back to drinking.

It must be early morning there.

Make today a sober day. I believe you can do it, SAH, even with all this other stuff going on.

D

Vinificent 07-13-2017 04:08 AM

Just checking in to pledge a clean and present weekend.
Soberandhealthy - I am sorry you are going through this but guilt is a useless emotion...use this as a motivation to stay sober and make a vow to never go through this again.

MidnightBlue 07-13-2017 04:27 AM

Sober revolution - I Love it!

SAH - I suppose you are drinking now? I think it will be a good idea to come back here after a good sleep and re-read your posts. Probably it will be the last think you will want to do because we are often ashamed of our actions under the influence and try to avoid facing the consequences at all costs.

But yo have to face yourself under the influence and start your recovery from there.

Will you help your husband if you keep calling yourself all sorts of names? No.
If you really want to make your life and life of your loved ones better you have to stop blaming yourself, bite the bullet, and start taking actions.

Otherwise you will keep running the same vicious circle over and over again.

Make a plan. Work it. It is that simple (not easy).

STDragon 07-13-2017 04:49 AM

Good morning everyone. Had a bit of a sleep in, it' supposed to be a sunny day today. Hoping to get a little yard work done.

Nonsensical 07-13-2017 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Soberandhealthy (Post 6535959)
You want to know a secret I'm ugly im bad and I don't deserve anything good

I have that voice in my head, too, SAH. It's a liar and a thief. It tries to control me by making me believe I'm not worthy of anything good - because if I'm not worthy of anything good I might just as well be a drunk.

I stopped taking advice from a known liar and my life got a lot better. I highly recommend it. :grouphug:

happyandfree 07-13-2017 05:08 AM

I'm in!
Thought I could try for shotgun but I'm not even close. Congratulations Bix.
SAH....I hope you can get some sleep and reassess when you wake up. It doesn't have to be this way....life is better after you quit drinking.
Ok, have a great day everyone! Bring on the weekend!
:)

applewakesup 07-13-2017 05:15 AM

I'm in! Starting off tomorrow morning with a sunrise standup paddle class before work. My running training group starts Saturday morning at 7 am. Previous years I was hungover most of the time. It will be so much better to train without a hangover!!!

saoutchik 07-13-2017 05:20 AM

Morning Soberandhealthy, your husband hurting his hand was not your fault. As Nons says those negative thoughts are just lies in order to keep you drinking. Give not drinking a chance and you might surprise yourself.