Notices

Bastille Day Weekender - our raison d'etre 14-16th July

Old 07-17-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Sao- they call it the Niagara of the West. It is in Idaho and the Falls are actually higher then at Niagara Falls!

Dyer- that's beautiful!

Apple- I am glad you had fun at the cookout that always feels like a victory when you go somewhere and don't miss drinking. That is great your dog stayed on the paddle board!! That is amazing. He sounds really smart.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm off to see the Sandman, goodnight folks.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

My weekend was low key due to having the flu. Needless to say, not drinking wasn't too difficult for me since I wasn't feeling well. Looks like everyone else made the best of their sober weekends! KEWL!
Old 07-17-2017, 10:48 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone,

I do hope you feel better soon CreativeThinker.

Some sort of charity bike ride is starting near my flat this morning. Good luck to them.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Morning guys. Good luck to your bike riders Saou. This insomnia is making getting up harder each day. Hugs xx
Old 07-18-2017, 03:33 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I am in Cambridge today for what is potentially a good sized order. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morning all. Good luck Sao.....
Old 07-18-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

CT- I hope you are feeling better today!

Sao- I hope you get that order!

Nothing new to report here. I am just waking up and drinking coffee. It is my 16th wedding anniversary though.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Happy anniversary, Midwest! Got anything special planned?
Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Gilmer- my husband works today so we will probably go out to eat Friday to celebrate.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midwest1981 View Post
Gilmer- my husband works today so we will probably go out to eat Friday to celebrate.
Happy Anniversary MW! Make sure you splurge on dinner Friday night. You deserve it!

BTW-Feeling a bit better. Still don't want to push it too much.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy 16th anniversary Middy!

I did get my order (a little bit less than I hoped but OK) and managed 90 minutes or so in the historic old town. It really is very picturesque.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170718_173811.jpg (41.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-18-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Sober since 7/10/17

Very nice!
Old 07-18-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CreativeThinker View Post
Happy Anniversary MW! Make sure you splurge on dinner Friday night. You deserve it!

BTW-Feeling a bit better. Still don't want to push it too much.
that is a great idea! I am glad you are feeling better too!

Sao- that is great about the order! it looks like it is a beautiful day there.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Well I'm still here. I went back to work today (arm still in the cast t type thing) after 8 days off. The funny thing is that I woke up at my parents house last Tuesday and my mom had made a jug of coffee. I poured a cup and went to talk to my dad. I told him I didn't know what to do with myself that day. He said "yeah I know. Why don't you go for a walk or something?"

So on the Wednesday I went shopping in Athlone, Thursday I was out and about, Friday we planted flowers on my Granny's grave as she will be 2 years dead at the end of July (where does the time go?) Saturday I went to meet a friend, Monday I was back to see the consultant and today back to work! So the time passed in the blink of an eye.

I had some time this week to stop and think. When I went to the hospital last Saturday week I was waiting for my first x-ray and I was nervous. I started chatting to the man who sat beside me in the next chair with his 2 little boys. At this stage I was panicking and in pain, the father stood up and said he was going to the coffee shop if I wanted anything? I told him "no thank you but that's very nice of you". I remember the times when I was living in my parents attic, too afraid to even take the bus to town as I just didn't want to deal with people. Look how far I have come. I said to dad that most people in life are very nice. He agreed and said "people who would intentionally set out to harm another person are few and far between". Whether that is true I don't know but I wish I hadn't locked myself away for all those years.

Yesterday I went back to the clinic. I was told to type away but don't lift heavy boxes. Just because I am nosy and I wanted to see my past medical history I looked myself up on the hospital computer system. I was seen about once a year over about 6 years at the ED in the past years ago as a result of my drinking. Unfortunately one of the episodes says on the screen "overdose". I thought "oh my god when did I take an overdose?" Then I saw it read "overdose of cough syrup". Yeah the first time I quit I started drinking cough syrup. I look at my life as it was back then and my life as it is today and I did smile and think "you have come a long way so kudos to you".

I went to work today, wrist in cast and all. Every one I met smiled and said "it's great to see you but we didn't expect you back so soon". Then my consultant came in and his face lit up and he said "oh good you are back. That is great". He asked about my wrist and I explained it was a "non displaced something or other" and that I would prefer to be at work than at home feeling sorry for myself. The thing about him is that no matter what you tell him he will have some kind of "Fun Fact!" with a random statistic to back it up. He's not the worst I suppose.

So what I am trying to say in my roundabout way is whatever you are dreading, whatever sacred you, do not put it off any longer. I wasted years of my life because I was too afraid to go and meet people but it turns out that there was nothing to be afraid of after all.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:16 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Anxiety was through the roof today. I felt so sick all day until I got home and parked my butt in bed.

I got my little box of crazy Japanese snacks, which was an amazon impulse buy.. but none of it is appealing to me right now. The few things that have English on the label aren't grabbing me. Super sour bubble gum balls? Some pop rock looking things? Meh. This was a weird thing to buy.

I have to start eating better and get some weight off.. maybe if I get a little second wind, once the stimulant in the Sudafed kicks in, I'll go for a walk.. it should help with the anxiety..

What's everybody up to tonight? I'll be here..
Old 07-18-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Middy, weather wise today was near perfect,
about 28C or 83F but not humid and with a breeze.

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
So what I am trying to say in my roundabout way is whatever you are dreading, whatever sacred you, do not put it off any longer. I wasted years of my life because I was too afraid to go and meet people but it turns out that there was nothing to be afraid of after all.
I guess that applies to most things Tetra. I'm glad you are on the mend.

BrendaC I hope your anxiety level has reduced, I have had quite a good day but it did involve a 170 mile round trip drive on top of a days work so the answer to what I am up to is very boring, slumped in front of the TV watching the World Paralympic Games taking place a mile or two away from my flat.

I need to get back into the habit of eating earlier. Post 9pm dinners are not good for me or anyone really unless you are an owl.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Sorry about the typos in my above post. I took the cast off to take a shower yesterday because the consultant orthopaedic surgeon said I could. I have been bathing every day but with my left hand wrapped in a plastic bag. So I wanted to clean the hand underneath but I wish I didn't as it really hurt last night. It seems to be setting down again though. Typing with one hand on the phone is no fun.

The funny thing is that I had a repeat x-ray yesterday. I was at the other hospital and not the one I work at. I recognised the radiographer as you do see people around and recognise them. So I said "I think I know you. Do you work at the other hospital as well?" He said yeah I travel back and forth. I told him "I'm a secretary over there. I knew I recognised your face". He asked me which consultant I work for and I told him. There was complete silence for about 10 seconds before he said "I'm so sorry about that". I didn't know where to look. My dad burst out laughing when I told him and said "your Mr. X has made quite a name for himself".

But yeah. Every one has been super nice. The girls in my office told me "if you want a bundle of charts from your shelf just tell us and we will put them on your desk for you".

Yesterday I was seen by a registrar and not the consultant himself. I didn't really like her attitude and now I'm not surprised when I get calls from patients telling me that they want to be seen by my consultant himself and not a trainee. At least I got to see life from the other side of the bed so to speak
Old 07-18-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

I am feeling better. The sudafed helped my sinus symptoms and headache. My friend suggested it to me after I said no matter what I take for allergies nothing helps. I'll have to remember to thank him! Not that that was the cause of the anxiety and I think I will have some stress relief Yogi tea after my walk.. and then take the night time sudafed
Old 07-18-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

On Thursday if I can afford it I am going to buy new shoes from an actual shoe shop. Unfortunately I have been buying cheap shoes which I don't think fit so well. Added to the fact I have always been the least graceful person I know, no wonder I tripped. My sister was always brilliant at ballet dancing and the piano where as I was better at Irish dancing and playing the fiddle. Irish dancing is beautiful in its own way but probably not as graceful as others

Anyway things could be worse.