SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How long does it take for the body and brain to recover? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/412662-how-long-does-take-body-brain-recover.html)

llk555 07-12-2017 10:49 PM

How long does it take for the body and brain to recover?

Hi. How long does it take for the body and brain to heal back to normal? And what can you do to help that along? When I went through detox, I had thiamine injections and some other supplements. And I took thiamine supplements for 3 months.

Now I feel like I'm not back to the level of health and cognition that I used to be. Physically I feel fine, but mentally I feel a bit "foggy", for lack of a better word.

It's nothing major, but I'm not as sharp as I used to be. What are the general timeframes for physical and mental healing?

BlownOne 07-13-2017 08:12 AM

I could be wrong, but I read somehere it takes the human brain roughly a year to heal from the repeated dopamine spikes that occur from repeated alcohol misuse. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. It took about 15 month for the fog to really lift for me. I think everyone is probably different. I imagine there are a lot of variables in play. I can't speak to anything else, cuz I just don't know. This in only my own experience.

tomls 07-13-2017 09:11 AM

It's nice that you have some sense of what "normal" is. I didn't or don't. Other than a setting on a washing machine.

lynnmarie123 07-13-2017 09:21 AM

I've read that PAWS can last up to 2 years and that insomnia can be a permanent thing, but that is just what I've read. Doesn't mean it will happen to you.

Andagain 07-13-2017 09:41 AM

Yeah I've heard similar stuff, although two years of PAWS from what I've read is really a worst case scenario.

Its one of those things where there's too many factors to say. But the way I think of it is that if it takes a long time then if I feel better today that means I can feel better and better and better.

Delilah1 07-13-2017 09:42 AM

I am 18 months sober, and feel clear headed, and my sleep has returned to my normal, I still get insomnia at times, but it is more to do with shitting down my mind at night.

I know I felt better each month, and by one year didn't feel any lingering effects, it may not have even been quite that long.

I do find that exercise works for me as well to help clear my head.

Andagain 07-13-2017 09:46 AM

I think there might be a typo in there Delilah1 =)

BrendaChenowyth 07-13-2017 09:58 AM

I think it's different for each person, how much damage you did with alcohol, and what your overall health was like before.. Everything may not go back to normal, but how old were you before versus now? After people quit, they blame any physical or mental symptom on alcoholism and PAWS.. we wanted everything to improve and stay improved after quitting alcohol, but we still have to work hard to maintain our health.. we just notice it more now because when we were drinking, we always felt like crap and we knew darn well why.

thomas11 07-13-2017 10:14 AM

I agree with others that how long it takes is pretty individualized but I can share my own experience and thoughts. I've been told that our cells die off and are replaced constantly. Think of skin cells. And within a period of time, almost all of our cells have died off and been replaced with brand new ones. I've also heard that process is expedited through strenuous exercise and good nutrition. With my current exercise program and diet, I truly feel like my entire body is new. Mind is sharp, muscles and joints are pretty decent for my age, and my bodyfat has gone down significantly. I've lost almost 3 inches on my waist. Been sober for 21-22 months.

columbus 07-13-2017 10:17 AM

" but it is more to do with shitting down my mind at night."

;-)

2ndhandrose 07-13-2017 11:09 AM

My first year was pretty rough with cognitive difficulties. It was disturbing, to say the least, but, I am happy to report that IT GOT BETTER :)

August252015 07-13-2017 02:13 PM

I was taught the one year healing time, as well as up to two for women. Learned a lot about what alcoholism does to all of our organs- truly, to every part of our body.

Seeing a dr would be the only way to see what's really going on with you now. I had a clean bill of health on liver enzymes, vit B and potassium, and iron, by about 100 days.

That said, I suffered pretty much any PAWS symptom you could find listed- and I thought of it as alcohol "effects" rolling out of my body from my head down and out of my toes. Every part of my body had to heal. I would say that by 8-9 mo most of this had resolved itself, including the cognitive parts. That really scared me. Now I'm what I'd consider a pretty normally healthy 40 year old!

I find that sleep can still be a struggle for me and fatigue and irritability are cues I am over-doing it or getting emotionally unbalanced a little. Anxiety is something I have realized I have had to a degree all of my life so learning how to deal with the physical and emotional effects of that has been important.

The only way I know how to keep seeing myself get better is to stay sober!

Dee74 07-13-2017 04:57 PM

Like others have said it varies from person to person.
For me I felt pretty good at 3 months.

D

llk555 07-13-2017 07:52 PM

I had to look up PAWS and fortunately I don't have that.

Right now, it's been 3,5 months since I last drank. And I've lived healthy. So I guess it won't take that long for everything to be back to normal again.

Stev0 07-13-2017 07:59 PM

depends

im 8 months sober from alcohol and xanys, i just got over a rough week, panic attack, and anxiety....went to the gym last week, had a panic....today i went back, felt completely different, before, during, and after the workout, feel great. give it time....ur 3 month in and thats the acute withdrawals that uve gotten over, now the body has to even out...it slowly climbs up, then slowly comes down till it evens out, like a few up there have stated, give it about a year. WHats also dependent is how much and how long...but give urself a year before u make any assumptions about something being wrong...good things take time...ur gnna be alright

Mizzuno 07-13-2017 08:53 PM

I can see it varies.

I feel "normal" and I am a few days shy of 4 months.
Energy is good. Eating is good. Brain is firing on all cylinders. Exercise daily.
All is level.

Are you tired? Is something going on that is taking a lot of energy and depleting you? How long has this been happening and have you considered going to your GP?

llk555 07-13-2017 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mizzuno (Post 6536903)
I can see it varies.

I feel "normal" and I am a few days shy of 4 months.
Energy is good. Eating is good. Brain is firing on all cylinders. Exercise daily.
All is level.

Are you tired? Is something going on that is taking a lot of energy and depleting you? How long has this been happening and have you considered going to your GP?

Fatigue is the main problem. I have an appointment with my GP on Monday to talk about it. The only thing that is taking a lot of energy is learning to cope without alcohol. I have weekly CBT sessions and those are pretty intense. You might not expect it from just one hour, but it touches on pretty heavy issues and that drains me.

Fatigue has been a problem for me all my life. Which is why I've made the appointment. I want to exclude physical causes and see what can be done, whatever is causing it.

D122y 07-14-2017 09:57 PM

I'm about 26 months and the anxiety and paranoid moments are disappearing fast.

I relapsed about 200 times in 30 years. The recovery time escalated exponentially.

1, 2, 4, 6, 8 days.....1 month...then boom....2 years.

I guess i killed all the weak brain cells and the important ones started going.

All i know is the next relapse might leave me insane and dead.

Uncle!

Thanks.

Delilah1 07-14-2017 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Andagain (Post 6536290)
I think there might be a typo in there Delilah1 =)

Aaaaahhhhh, *shutting

I hate that I can't edit after a short time. Sorry guys!!!

Delilah1 07-14-2017 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by columbus (Post 6536311)
" but it is more to do with shitting down my mind at night."

;-)

I'm not going to live that one down!!:headbange