Notices

How long does it take for the body and brain to recover?

Old 10-06-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It took about 5 months before I felt the fog lift. I just woke up one Saturday morning and it was as if the scales from my eyes had fallen and I finally had my clarity back. What a relief that was! However as many people have mentioned here before, the time that it takes for the speed of recovery to happen pretty much varies from person to person, depending on how much they used and for how long they used. You do hear of some unfortunates who have suffered from as much as up to a year or even 2 years . . Yeah.. not fun.

However from my experience I thoroughly do believe that you can speed up the process in which the brain heals itself. For me it was having a healthy balance of diet, exercise, meditation (Wim Hof Method) and applying myself to the AA Program. My diet consisted of eating 3 balanced meals a day however I included having natural supplements (which I do believe helped alleviate a lot of the brain fog and fatigue) listed as follows -

- Vitamin B Complex (necessary for energy and cognition)
- Ginkgo Biloba (Helps enhance memory and cognitive function)
- A-Z Multi Vitamin (compensates for weak spots in your diet and repairs
deficiencies you might not know about)
- Triple Strength Omega Complex Oil (helps regenerate brain tissure, improves mood)

Hope that this helps you as much as it did help me. Sending good vibes your way and always remember this, things will get better with time. The brain can indeed heal itself,
Old 10-06-2017, 04:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Best to give it 6 months to a year
then -- that's probably what one has to work with.

Some character defects caused by long term drinking
may take years to change.

M-Bob
Old 10-06-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lynnmarie123 View Post
I've read that PAWS can last up to 2 years and that insomnia can be a permanent thing, but that is just what I've read. Doesn't mean it will happen to you.
I was a hardcore alcoholic. I have also read and been told and heard people in AA (my program) describe the one year- two year (the latter especially for women) process of healing. I have experienced severe PAWS that lasted about 5-6 weeks, and an ebb and flow to my health - overall, at 19+ mo, I am healthy and feel so, but fatigue is a big thing for me. I have struggled with insomnia and night sweats still. Emotional fatigue is also something I watch out for.

The best thing I can say is that on the whole, it keeps getting better and better. The brain fog and aphasia (at it's mild end of the scale, a loss at grasping words, forming sentences and such) lifted for me (thank God- I was worried)....my energy is high (I do hot yoga 5x a week, run a 5K every month, have full days, etc) yet I protect it carefully and nap as needed, etc.

Everything is better sober. Keep going!
Old 10-06-2017, 05:22 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post

Some character defects caused by long term drinking
may take years to change.

M-Bob
Can you elaborate on this alittle?
Old 10-06-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I felt a lot better within a few weeks but I would say it was a good couple years before I was back in proper balance. Mentally and physically.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChloeRose63 View Post
Can you elaborate on this alittle?
Well most of us picked up some bad habits while drinking if we may call them Character defects. Some of these run very very deep and can take many years to correct.

Sometimes called our stinking thinking.

First I sobered up and then I had to let go of some old ideas.

Many drunks while out there drinking do many unmoral things and when some sober up they don't necessarily stop all of these may take some time and much serious hard work on one's self.

M-Bob