Notices

She always knew!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

She always knew!

I'm on day 7 and had a revelation today. I have tried to go sober many times but not tell my wife. She hardly drinks and I figured she didn't realize how much I did. Well tonight she told me she knew. I was floored.

I am having some tough withdrawal symptoms this time and finally told her about it. She is supportive and wants to help me stop. Before I was afraid of her finding out so I had no support by my design. I would last a day or two but start drinking again. Turns out my buddy at work knew too.

Lesson learned. Talk to people. They want to help.

Sorry for the ramble but it feels good to write about it.

Now on to day 8
Old 07-12-2017, 09:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup, people know...they might not say anything, but they know. It wasn't until I opened up about that I found out just how many people knew. It makes me sick to think of how many of my business associates and customers I must have turned off because they could tell I was drinking or hungover.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes. Turns out that for many people it was the elephant that was in the room with them. They never mentioned it and neither did anyone else, but it was there all the same.

That's what I love about this place and AA. We all park those elephants outside or we if we do bring them in, someone will take a good hard look and talk about them.

We're only as sick as our secrets. Even the ones that are only secrets in our own minds.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 07-12-2017, 10:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the first of many sober weeks! I have found support from many close friends, and family. I hope you are just about past the withdrawals.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congrats from me too on your first week, it's great to know your wife is giving you so much support , well done to both of you!
Old 07-13-2017, 06:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your progress so far! I totally understand what you are feeling. I thought I was hiding the extent of my drinking from my family, but they knew.

It's such a relief to "come out" about it here, and with them. It gives more accounability.

I have tried to quit countless times. A wise poster here, Doggonecarl, said I had been drinking in secret and trying to quit in secret and it wasn't working. That was an epiphany for me. (I hope he sees this so I can thank him.) This forum has been such a blessing.

Continued best wishes to you! I am 2 months without a drink, and it just gets better and better!
Old 07-13-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

We're not nearly as good as hiding our drinking as we think. I'm glad you've got some support from your wife and work buddy.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It just goes to show us how impaired we really are. We think we are fine and in reality everyone knows what's going on.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wish people understood the urgency of speaking up when you feel someone has a problem.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
It just goes to show us how impaired we really are. We think we are fine and in reality everyone knows what's going on.
This is so true. My husband drinks daily, sometimes in front of me and sometimes not. I believe he thinks I don't know if I don't see it.

I see it.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lol. Even if my partner literally falls in the doorway his first words are always "I'm not drunk." I just say "Yeah, I know." Pointless to argue.