SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello, I'm new and on Day 3 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/412557-hello-im-new-day-3-a.html)

Stacey999 07-10-2017 11:31 PM

Hello, I'm new and on Day 3

Hello everybody,
I'm on my day 3 of sobriety today. I'm feeling better than I did yesterday but am so worried that I'm going to fail again.

On my last attempt, I joined AA and the voice told me, I wasn't as 'bad' as the people in the room, and convinced me to practice harder. So, I did just that.

I have been a heavy drinker for about 15 years. Most recently, drinking about 100 units a week. I only discovered this after going onto one of those unit calculators.

The last time I stopped was after a horrendous, blackout night and wetting the bed. That, I thought, was a low point and enough to make me stop. You guessed it, it wasn't.
I guess, I'm here to find somewhere to go when the voice starts up. It's pretty constant at the minute.
Hope everyone is doing good today!

X

MythOfSisyphus 07-10-2017 11:37 PM

I'm glad you're back at it, Stacey. It can be hard but ultimately it's worth it. The life you can gain will amaze you.

Ghostlight1 07-11-2017 02:24 AM

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on three days. That's great.
The fourth day was always a killer for me.
I realized, too, that I wasn't as bad at some of the people in AA groups .
I learned I wasn't that bad YET. I got that bad. And worse.

This is a great place to come to when the voice starts up. Or any time, for that matter.
Other can learn from you as I just have by the reminder of what it's like 'out there'. And I'm over seven years sober.
I drank for over twenty years and like an alcoholic from the first time I picked it up.
I hit some amazing lows. I was a low, low bottom drunk.
Save yourself some misery. No matter how much we drink, or how low we've sank, there is redemption.
I wish you the best, and remember, you never have to drink again.

D122y 07-11-2017 02:54 AM

Stacey,

Eat when you crave. Sweets trick the brain. Exercise helps.

Wetting the bed during a blackout is bad. Sorry that happened, but it could have been worse. Right?

Booze is a killer. We get addicted and then tell ourselves anything to keep medicating.

Getting clean is hard. Staying clean is not as hard, but drags on forever. Years and years.

The av lies in our emotions. We defeat it w analysis.

Thanks.

PhoenixJ 07-11-2017 03:49 AM

Stacey- welcome. A courageous share. One share at a meeting which resonated with me recently was someone who said when they first gave AA a go- they thought 'I am not like them'. He said that to someone who added..'yet'. Have not lost job...yet, house, car, partner, children, reputation...and some need to go through the entire being kicked down the stairs - to homelessness and death befor they get it. One thing I do like is people who at least have the awareness who, with resources like SR- which is a living library- to heal and stay sober before the 'yet's'.

Optimist4ever57 07-11-2017 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Stacey999 (Post 6533176)
Hello everybody,
I'm on my day 3 of sobriety today. I'm feeling better than I did yesterday but am so worried that I'm going to fail again.

On my last attempt, I joined AA and the voice told me, I wasn't as 'bad' as the people in the room, and convinced me to practice harder. So, I did just that.

I have been a heavy drinker for about 15 years. Most recently, drinking about 100 units a week. I only discovered this after going onto one of those unit calculators.

The last time I stopped was after a horrendous, blackout night and wetting the bed. That, I thought, was a low point and enough to make me stop. You guessed it, it wasn't.
I guess, I'm here to find somewhere to go when the voice starts up. It's pretty constant at the minute.
Hope everyone is doing good today!

X

Welcome, Stacey! Please remember some of the people in AA meetings are there because it has been court ordered. They are most likely to have committed some crime while intoxicated, which makes it seem like they're worse than you. You don't want that to be your situation.

I commend you for attending and not waiting to be court ordered!!! Hang in there, Stacey and post often.

MidnightRider 07-11-2017 04:12 AM

Hey welcome Stacey- thanks for sharing and congrats on Day 3.

Alcoholics come in all shapes and sizes.... I've learned it's not a quantity thing. There's no scale.... but I'm glad you are giving sobriety another go.

First days are tough..... what worked for me when AV was tapping me on shoulder. Was to keep my mind busy. Eat and drink regularly... I always had a glass of water handy....snacks kept me feeling better. I also was lucky to step down from my high pressure job for a while. The less stress the better........

Good luck today and stay close to SR.

Dee74 07-11-2017 05:02 AM

Welcome back Stacey :)

Have you thought about what you might do differently this time?

D

August252015 07-11-2017 05:36 AM

Welcome!

Stacey999 07-11-2017 10:16 AM

Hello,
Thank you for all your support :)
I'm not sure what I'm going to different this time. My partner is a heavy drinker and it is always in the house.
I have filed for divorce but in the meantime, I have to find the strength from somewhere.
Thank you again, here's to tomorrow
X

Anna 07-11-2017 11:50 AM

I'm glad you're here Stacey.

Fly N Buy 07-11-2017 12:59 PM

When I got the gift of desperation, everything changed. Fortunately, I didn't have to be a last gasper - but hearing their stories certainly provided me the clarity of where the path was leading. Once it was apparent I had lost the choice in drinking I became willing to take some action.

You showing up here is indeed some willingness. Hope to see you posting frequently.

SoberLeigh 07-11-2017 01:07 PM

Welcome to SR, Stacey; very glad you found us.

You may want to check out a couple of threads on the importance of a plan.

I will post a couple of links in a moment.

SoberLeigh 07-11-2017 01:19 PM

As promised:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=Psst

SoberLeigh 07-11-2017 01:21 PM

The other:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...=Recovery+plan

PurpleKnight 07-11-2017 03:45 PM

Welcome to the Forum Stacey!! :wave:

Purplrks3647 07-11-2017 05:06 PM

Welcome, Stacey! I, too, was on day 3 when I first posted. Stay close to SR ~ this site is awesome! :grouphug:

Hevyn 07-11-2017 06:38 PM

Welcome to an encouraging & friendly place, Stacey. SR helped me quit a life long drinking habit - and checking in here daily keeps me motivated. :) Be proud of yourself for making this life changing decision. 3 days is fabulous. :)