Notices

Birthday drink

Old 07-09-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Birthday drink

I think I've made a mistake. I've been sober a number of months. It's my birthday tomorrow and I was toying with the idea of drinking for my birthday all week. I rarely thought about drink during my sobriety the idea only came in when I knew it was my birthday. I told my dad I was drinking and he said fine it's only your birthday once even though he knows I drink too much. "At least it's not drugs" he says. I was with my mate and he said come round for watch TV. I did and I said I might have a drink why it's my birthday I bought two bottles of 7.5% wine and drank them yesterday, today I intended to not drink "it was a one off." Now I'm drinking a bottle of 12% wine, I think I can see where this is going, I hope that tomorrow I can stop.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why not through the wine away now James and end this? You deserve so much more for yourself...especially as it's your birthday. Please take positive action right now...don't wait until tomorrow 💜
Old 07-09-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"I can see where this is going."

It's already there. You're relapsing and your "one-off" so far is a two-off.

The thing is that this will make it worse. The little addicted neurons are waking up, shaking themselves off, and sinking their sharp little teeth into your life again, but this time they'll grip harder.

And does it make any sense to celebrate your birthdays by ingesting something that will only lead to you have fewer of them?

Dump what's left before it gets even more difficult to stop, yes?
Old 07-09-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel sick to my stomach for you! I don't have the answers but I bet you are struggling right now. I guess look at it like it's just a day and a half and you can get back with sobriety. Would you change your choice if you could go back? Ugh. I'm sorry. Hope you can just dump it and start back.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

James, I was hoping you were posting your thoughts so someone could talk you out of drinking for your birthday. I am sorry that you drank yesterday, and today, pour out what s left and get some water, and some rest. Make tomorrow your new day one.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh, James, a one-off doesn't usually happen with alcoholics. Why not stop today and give yourself the gift of starting recovery for your birthday?
Old 07-09-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It pains me to read this James. As nova said, you deserve better. Do not let this go any further man.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry to hear this, James.

Don't hope that you can stop tomorrow; stop TODAY, NOW. Pour whatever is left out, drink lots of water and go to bed.

You have fueled the dreaded Beast. Time to starve it.

Stay close to SR.

Reactivate your plan and make the needed adjustments.

We are alcoholics. We can't have just one without consequence.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

" I hope that tomorrow I can stop."

" I've been sober a number of months."

It seems you have answered that question already, the other question is will you stop ( now would be best, but you know that too) , so are you going to or are you going to fool yourself into thinking that you 'can't' ?
Rootin for ya
Old 07-09-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

James, I'm sorry you have been drinking, but you can stop it. You say you "hope" you can stop tomorrow, but there's no hoping, just doing. You have the power to not buy the wine, to not pour it through your body.

You are right; you know where this is heading. You don't "deserve" drinking for your birthday: you actually deserve much, much better and more for yourself. Give yourself the gift of a healthier, stronger you without drinking driving your life.

You can get back on the right track. Even happier birthdays are ahead!

We are here to help.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

howz about using that power of choice ya mentioned before,dump it out and get back to

I said in another thread what works for me:

I follow my own path really which consists of: Gym most if not every day, keep good diet eat at least five fruit and veg, good 8 hours + sleep. Looking forward to nice food and enjoying tea and coffee. Limiting my cigarettes but I enjoy smoking one in the morning. Read science on various psychology and medical stuff. Read articles which fit my viewpoints e.g. leaving AA etc, here. A bit of AA phrases and lifestyle e.g. Letting people get on with their own stuff and I get on with mine, gratitude. Learning to be relaxed and laid back. Not stressing and cutting out stressful things. Some SMART. Some AVRT. Rational thinking things through instead of being irrational. Doing non-drinking activities like watching movies, dating people I fancy. Acamprosate medication, Antabuse, and antidepressants (for now). It's a mixture but it's working.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Once the corrosive thought of drinking enters the mind, it is a real struggle. Once you take that drink, the struggle becomes that much harder. Your post reminds me while I can never take that drink...not one drink...not for just one day.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

in sobriety, we don't accrue "vacation days" where we can drink with impunity. there is no such thing as ONE drink on ONE day.

james, i hope you rethink this, dump out the rest of the booze.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I hope you can dump out what you have and not buy any more James. If not this won't end well.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 07-10-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When you're driving towards a cliff you put the brakes on, not the pedal to the metal dude. Save yourself and stop right now.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi James. I'm glad you posted. Every time I tried having 'just one' it led me down a dark path & into danger. I never once stuck to my plan of having 'one' - & was never able to predict how many days (or years) my relapse would last. It was so much safer to never touch a drop. Not worth it, James.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

:STOP now while you still can dude! It will sink it's teeth into you so quickly!....You want more birthdays not less.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What a sad way to spend your birthday. Please stop now, dump it out....that's the best gift you can give yourself.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you dumped the bottle James.

I decided to have one night off from not drinking once...took me over two years to stop drinking again.

I think the stakes are that high.

D
Old 07-09-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

James,
you've always known your birthday would come. or some other 'occasion'.
toying with the idea, and saying the idea only "came in when i knew it was my birthday" might well be fooling yourself...don't know.

and then you could neither wait for the day nor stop after one day, and can't stick to your intentions around not drinking.
so i'm wondering what your take is on your power to control?