SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Back from a vacation with no drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/412472-back-vacation-no-drinking.html)

tealily 07-09-2017 10:49 AM

Back from a vacation with no drinking

It was a revelation. It wasn't a deprivation, it was a blessing.

For years I've drank a bottle of wine a night on this trip. At first openly but in the last few years (when I was supposedly cutting back), making excuses to go to the store to buy wine, hiding the empties, missing breakfasts out having to sleep in while everyone else was enjoying time together.

It was a joy to wake up feeling refreshed, healthy and guilt-free, instead of hungover and sick of myself. Everyone was so surprised: Hey! Mom is coming with us! It was such a relief and simple pleasure.

My bathing suit looked better on me, my stomach flatter, my skin, eyes and hair healthier-looking by the week. I feel such a burden lifted.

Every now and then the old associations would pop in.. romanticizing having a sparkling glass of wine overlooking the beach. Then I reminded myself what it would devolve to and actually be .. me hiding a bottle in a closet or behind groceries, surreptitiously drinking out of a plastic cup, collapsing into bed, waking up a few hours later feeling sick and miserable.

For me the trick has finally been to realize that Not Drinking is not "being deprived", it's a gift. Making that mental switch has been everything.

My counter on my phone says 47 days of freedom and $470 saved!

:tyou

Mark1014 07-09-2017 10:59 AM

That's fantastic tealily! True quality time with your family being the priority rather than second fiddle to alcohol. It is great isn't it!? Congratulations to you and yours. :)

bimbott 07-09-2017 11:02 AM

Amazing! Your post has cheered me up no end. .Thank you.

tursiops999 07-09-2017 11:11 AM

So proud of you, Tealilly, and so happy you are experiencing the gifts of sobriety. Well done you!

dwtbd 07-09-2017 11:40 AM

A
w
e
s
o
m
e
:)

kenton 07-09-2017 11:47 AM

So happy for you. Sounds like a fantastic holiday. And alcohol didn't steal or spoil any of your memories of the trip. Well done on 47 days :)

halfalife 07-09-2017 11:53 AM

That's incredibly inspiring and shows real commitment.

You just inspired me in my planning for my 40th bday trip. Thank you...

Midwest1981 07-09-2017 12:12 PM

I am glad you had a great vacation Tealily! You are right that change of attitude really helps....the embracing of sobriety instead of resenting it!

nova84 07-09-2017 12:47 PM

:bbj:

jellybean80 07-09-2017 12:53 PM

That's inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing. Congrats on a sober vacation!

Anna 07-09-2017 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by tealily (Post 6530946)
For me the trick has finally been to realize that Not Drinking is not "being deprived", it's a gift. Making that mental switch has been everything.

This is it!

I'm so glad you had a good vacation and more important, that you feel good about yourself.

MidnightRider 07-09-2017 01:28 PM

"For me the trick has finally been to realize that Not Drinking is not "being deprived", it's a gift. Making that mental switch has been everything. "

Nice !

Wow all positive .. I love hearing that you feel better and look better ... saved $$.

Winner!

skipper63 07-09-2017 01:35 PM

Very very good! Nice job. I needed to read this. My AV is active today :(

bradly22 07-09-2017 01:59 PM

Vaya

Dee74 07-09-2017 05:48 PM

awesome result tealily :)

D

myluckyday 07-09-2017 05:55 PM

I would love to get a counter on my phone. Is that an app?

RetiredGuy 07-09-2017 05:55 PM

Congrats and great post!

Jenni37 07-09-2017 05:59 PM

So proud of you and so happy for you!! I just came back from girls trip and had the same realizations. I felt better not drinking and enjoyed soaking up every sober minute. I kept remembering to be present and thankful for the ability to participate with my friends sober! I feel SO much better not drinking and I'm so proud of myself, knowing I can have the control to go on trips and not include alcohol. The truth is I enjoy my trip more because I could be clear and present. No waking up ashamed, unsure what I said or did the night before. Congratulations to you!!!! You are doing amazing! Keep going ❤️🎉

tealily 07-09-2017 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by myluckyday (Post 6531485)
I would love to get a counter on my phone. Is that an app?

Myluckyday, yes, I'm using an app called SoberTool, from the App store. There are many similar, but this one is very simple, and you don't have to create an account, so I like its privacy.

tealily 07-09-2017 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jenni37 (Post 6531495)
So proud of you and so happy for you!! I just came back from girls trip and had the same realizations. I felt better not drinking and enjoyed soaking up every sober minute. I kept remembering to be present and thankful for the ability to participate with my friends sober! I feel SO much better not drinking and I'm so proud of myself, knowing I can have the control to go on trips and not include alcohol. The truth is I enjoy my trip more because I could be clear and present. No waking up ashamed, unsure what I said or did the night before. Congratulations to you!!!! You are doing amazing! Keep going ❤️🎉

Jenni, that's great! Congrats to you. Isn't it nice to have the pressure relieved of the fear of having done, said or posted something stupid or forgetting conversations?

Whenever I'm in those gatherings now, with girlfriends, I am so proud of myself for not drinking and being calm and strong. (I realize too that many of them, for the most part, drink a lot less than I thought they did.)

So glad you had a good trip!!

:You_Rock_