Notices

Day 5 and alive

Old 07-08-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 and alive

Hey everyone, just wanted to check in this morning. I woke this morning to 5 days sober. The past few days have been rough emotionally, but I'm so grateful to be waking up with a clear head this morning. Actually my daughter was sick last night all night, all I could think about was if I had drank heavily (like I usually would) before I had gone to bed, I wouldn't have been able to be there for her last night. It makes me want to cry actually. I've been so weepy, but I actually think that's good. I'm an emotion stuffer- as soon as I start to feel something slightly unpleasant I'll pick up a drink.. so I think over the past 5 days I've had a lot to release that's been pent up inside me, as I just sit with the feelings and not try to change/cover them up.

Anyway, I am interested in AVRT- I've never heard of it before. Where do I find more support or info. on this? I've been in and out of AA since 2011 and have learned some great tools but just don't feel it's right for me at this moment. What little I have read about AVRT rings true to me right now, so if anyone has advice or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it so much! Thanks everyone!
Old 07-08-2017, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome- no advice, but participate in the other newcomer's threads (class of July 2017?). Read, learn, share, grow.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Phoenix, oh ok- I was wondering what the Class of July 2017 was... I will go join that! Thank you
Old 07-08-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was emotional and weepy early on, too.
It passes.
Good luck.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done on 5 days
Old 07-08-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 days, hns! I was an emotional wreck in early sobriety. After 18 months my feelings have stabilized quite a bit but still a trifle off-kilter. I also have issues with depression and take meds for that-they have been helpful. I don't know much about AVRT but what I have read makes sense. I have been in the rooms of AA off and on for many years and especially in early recovery it was helpful to know someone was always there to help, just a call away. I am autistic and sometimes certain interactions caused me to be very uneasy, but most of the people I met through AA were kind and really wanted to help. Wishing you all the best in your sober journey.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Please be sure to read Thomas11's Day 5 post!

Stay strong and you never have to have another Day one!
Old 07-09-2017, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hns0685 View Post
I am interested in AVRT- I've never heard of it before. Where do I find more support or info. on this? I've been in and out of AA since 2011 and have learned some great tools but just don't feel it's right for me at this moment. What little I have read about AVRT rings true to me right now, so if anyone has advice or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it so much! Thanks everyone!
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/secular-connections/260412-avrt-explained-long.html

There are a few additional threads in secular connections that might be useful. AVRT has been hugely helpful for me.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice job! Keep it going!!
Old 07-09-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You can check out the secular connections forum on this site which has quite a bit of info/discussion on rational recovery.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi hns0685 -- that link that rascalwhiteoak posted is a great place to start. It will take you to the secular connections subforum. Read and start posting your questions -- there are lots of folks there who will share their experience with AVRT. Welcome!
Old 07-09-2017, 11:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 07-09-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

congrats on day 5! It is normal to be emotional after quitting and you are right it is a good thing to let it all out. You don't ever have to have another week like this one again.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

HNS, congrats on 5 days! it will get better and better. A big reason I quit was so I could be a better, more engaged mom to my kids. It is such a relief now to not feel guilty and regretful, for things I didn't do as well as I should have. To remember conversations, to be truly present and aware.

You can do it! Take a day at a time. Your body will heal, your emotions will stabilize, you will rediscover the old you!

We are here for you
Old 07-09-2017, 12:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! There is also a book called Rational Recovery which you should be able to get on Amazon. Phoenix mentioned the July class, that is a great place to ger support. You can also check in each day on the 24 hour thread, there are many wonderful and supportive people there.

One other thing that has helped me a lot, and may complement AVRT is mindfulness, there are many great resources online.

Looking forward to seeing you on SR!
Old 07-12-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all SO much for the links and book recommendation- I'm checking them out now! I didn't log in yesterday, but still going strong! Thank you again