Notices

AV - poor thing!

Old 06-24-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AV - poor thing!

I'm spending a lot of time today on SR and other sites, holding on. This one made me laugh, though - best line of the day! From AVRT "Crash Course":
"... Best of all, only you control your muscles...
Your beast is quadriplegic.
Poor thing. "

All I have to do is not pick up that bottle - I've heard it before but somehow this line not only cracked me up but brought the point home in a different way. Whoever wrote the crash course has a wonderfully wicked sense of humor!
Old 06-24-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
waking down

And to top it off, the AV is kind of a bonehead, and it goes without saying that it is best not to take the advice of a bonehead.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

lmao Love it!
Old 06-24-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you Lascaux holding on 💜

Wishing you well on your recovery journey x
Old 06-24-2017, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Im goona drag my av outta my head place it on the floor and do jumping jacks on its head...............THEN im setting my pit bull onto it
Old 06-24-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here's my AV - all mouth (and those creepy little eyes from the Crash Course) ...

Pooh - link not working...
Old 06-24-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I assume Jack Trimpey wrote it since it's his technique. I recommend his book too Rational Recovery, it really changed my thinking and once that happens there's no going back. I'm so glad that RR has stuck a chord with you Lascaux, it's been a life saver for me!
Old 06-25-2017, 04:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

I got his book from the library!
Old 06-25-2017, 04:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, Zenchaser, I'll definitely get a copy! I was always a secret drinker and introvert, so the AA method never appealed at all. RR seems to dovetail with another book I've mentioned on SR "The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield; I'm thinking that they have a lot in common.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lascaux View Post
Thanks, Zenchaser, I'll definitely get a copy! I was always a secret drinker and introvert, so the AA method never appealed at all.
Lauscaux,

While you wait for your own copy of Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction by Jack Trimpey to arrive, you may want to visit the Secular Connections forum here on Sober Recovery. There is a lot of information on AVRT contained therein, which may help you.

There are several excellent threads on AVRT in SC, but this one is the longest-running:

RR

Please feel free to post any questions in SC.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Lascaux View Post
I'm spending a lot of time today on SR and other sites, holding on. This one made me laugh, though - best line of the day! From AVRT "Crash Course":
"... Best of all, only you control your muscles...
Your beast is quadriplegic.
Poor thing. "

All I have to do is not pick up that bottle - I've heard it before but somehow this line not only cracked me up but brought the point home in a different way. Whoever wrote the crash course has a wonderfully wicked sense of humor!
From my understanding of AVRT, the "wicked humor" comes out in quite a different fashion. It truly is wickedly humorous, tragically comical, the extent that our society has publically bought into the ridiculous excuses that addicts fabricate, and their loved ones and friends buy into (and business capitalizes on) to justify why they cannot make the simple stand alone pledge to never ever pick up the bottle again.

Guess what, quitting an addiction by simply taking the pledge is STILL the most common way that people end an addiction (AND their recovery) to get on with life as a common teetotaler. And it all stems from the fact that the Beast is a quadriplegic - poor thing. Now THAT should be wickedly refreshing to everybody.