SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What has he done! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/412368-what-has-he-done.html)

Charli23 07-07-2017 02:21 AM

What has he done!

Hi everyone,
Still going strong here thank god.
As I mentioned before I come from a family of alcoholics, some recovering some not. My brother was rushed to hospital yesterday with pancreatitis. I went to see him , Jesus Christ he is in a bad way. Purple face, swollen and bloated. Stinking with bruises all over his arms. He has been a daily drinker for 10 years now and it's finally caught up with him. The doctor said he is lucky to be alive. This is the first time he will try to give it up. He has 2 choices , live or die. He is on morphine for the pain of his swollen organs.
It was a shock for me and a reality check. It could be me one day. I will never let that happen.
Wishing everyone a good weekend. X

Dee74 07-07-2017 03:11 AM

best wishes to your brother charli - he has the same chance as we all do - if he gives it his all, he'll get that effort back in spades :)

d

Maudcat 07-07-2017 04:01 AM

Hi, Charli.
I had a similar situation. My sib was taken to the hospital because he had a withdrawal related seizure. Very sick, almost died.
Told not to drink anymore.
Several years later, still drinking, still, amazingly, alive.

thomas11 07-07-2017 04:54 AM

Prayers to him, congrats to you on staying sober.

NoahJ 07-07-2017 05:52 AM

Thanks for sharing. It's sad and my heart goes out to your family. But stories like this help me understand what's out there if I go back.

In hereditary alcoholism, the alcoholic's liver just can't breakdown alcohol like a non-alcoholic. The liver can't efficiently metabolize acetylaldehyde (which itself is the first step of ethyl alcohol metabolism). Acetylaldehyde is incredibly toxic to the body's systems. It also is presumed to have a role in the dopamine system in the brain that facilitates addiction - science is still working on that.

Anyway, I hope you can find some relief in knowing that sharing your grief regarding your brother is helping others. Best of luck, and I will mediate on my hope for his recovery.

Charli23 07-07-2017 08:38 AM

Thanks all, it's just a waiting game to see how much damage is done.

PippoRossi 07-07-2017 08:43 AM

Sorry to hear about your brother, Charli23. That's very sad. I hope he's able to quit and turn his life around.

Mizzuno 07-07-2017 09:37 AM

I am so sorry to hear of this. Heartbreaking.

I will send prayers up for your family member and for you as well.

Thank you for sharing this. We all can hear and see the reminder of what alcoholism leads to.

Hugs to you.

Anna 07-07-2017 10:25 AM

I'm sorry, Charli, and I hope your brother decides to work on recovery.

SeaOfSerenity 07-07-2017 10:39 AM

stay strong Charli! for yourself first and then for your brother

kenton 07-07-2017 10:50 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. That must be truly awful. For him and for you. I really hope that he gets the help he needs and makes a good recovery. Please take care of yourself. Wish I could do more but I just said a prayer. I hope it helps. Stay strong xx

Midwest1981 07-07-2017 04:01 PM

sorry to hear that. Glad you are taking care of yourself. So scary. :(

ThatWasTheOldMe 07-07-2017 04:47 PM

Thanks for the reminder of where I was headed. I wish your brother the best with his recovery, and you too.

CreativeThinker 07-07-2017 05:17 PM

So sad...prayers go out to your family Charli!

Dee74 07-08-2017 03:27 PM

Keep us updated Charli .

D

Jules714 07-08-2017 07:27 PM

Hi. Yes, what Dee said...how is your brother?
I had pancreatitis a couple years ago. Truly awful, horrendous pain. Sadly it didn't stop me. This disease lulled me back into drinking within little over a month. Really sick, I know. A large catalyst for my quitting this time was feeling my pancreas ache (plus the unending anxiety, the failure to eat, the plothrea of really dandy things that happen as the disease progresses) I just cannot do it anymore. Not an option. Not even a consideration. If I do not stay stopped game over. Anywho, I'm rambling...sorry 😉

I hope he is doing better. Update us please as you can. Thanks.
Jules

Delilah1 07-08-2017 11:19 PM

Sending lots of love and prayers for your brother Charlie. Please let us know how he is.

❤️Delilah

Charli23 07-08-2017 11:28 PM

Hi all,
Thank you for the good wishes. He is still in the hospital and having more tests. It seems when the morphine wears off the pain comes back and is travelling around his back so they want to keep him where he is for the moment. So really no change , but he is making plans for when he gets out . He wants to get right and get back to work. He lost his job 8 years ago and boredom has been a huge factor in his alcoholism.
My dad is here to support him and my dad has 33 years sober so he knows what he is talking about. I'm on day 35 not counting the one slip that I had. This situation has reinforced my strength and though the AV raised its head yesterday and screamed I knew it was screaming because it was dying! I'm determined not to feed that demon again!
Thanks again everyone it means a lot and I will keep you all updated.
Xx Charli

RetiredGuy 07-09-2017 05:01 AM

"I knew it was screaming because it is dying"

Good one, thanks!

I hope your brother recovers and joins you in sobriety.

Charli23 07-14-2017 10:17 AM

Hi all ,
Just an update . My brother came home from the hospital and went straight to the liquor store and bought non alcoholic beer. He was drinking this. (No idea why ?) j think it would just put a graw on you! Anyways. He was brought back to hospital last night with a swollen hand /arm and the needed to cut it open to drain it . Have no idea what this could be . He is still there .