Notices

Amends to a family member who is also probably an alcoholic?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:42 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
FreeOwl,
just a couple of thoughts:
it is not necessary or always possible to figure out or have an idea of what her issues are, and i don't see that entering into the amends-process, since that is about amending your part.
since you do not know your part but can see that she is resentful/ distressed/upset/ angry/whatever, you cannot make a direct amend when you do not know the harm you caused or if, indeed, it was you who caused anything, but you could possibly,if you wanted, follow miamifellows suggestion to ask directly.
another thought is that possibly your part in any of it was simply that you did not make the effort o have a closer relationship?

personally, i do not see that whether a person has a drinking issue or any kind of issue has anything to do with whether i make amends or not. Irrelevant. if i have harmed them, i owe amend.

just from reading and trying to imagine being in your shoes, i'd mention to her that she seems upset with me a lot and i'd like us to be able to chat about it and could she tell me what i have done and i'd like to hear about it and make amends if i have caused her harm.
I'd take that route if i were willing to hear.
good suggestions... thank you.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
Not with regard to alcohol or whatever it is that caused her to say what she said. She may not even remember it. She may not be willing or able to identify it in her sober moments.

I've asked her in the past what it is that she seems to carry anger toward me about. She's told me she would 'never forgive' me for not being there for her in life. She was born when I was 19, off on my own, living in Germany in the Army. The course of our lives was such that I wasn't able to be around for her much. I know she resents that. But, this was specifically about 'my drinking problem'....... so I don't know what it's all about. Could be something there. Could be she was sort of using me as a distraction tactic. Aiming resentment at my sobriety and my former drinking to refocus attention from her own obvious drinking issues. I don't know. I don't know if it'll be productive to ask. But I will try.

Just looking for sharing of others' experiences.
This is good information. The idea that a teenaged sibling is supposed to put his life on hold if his mother has a baby is so unreasonable that you know that there is no way to satisfy her--then keeping your distance is the most sensible thing to do.

There are some relationships we do not have the power to repair.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good Morning FreeOwl,

Just reading through your thread this morning got me thinking about my relationship with my older brother. He also left home when I was 5 and he was 18, he enlisted in the army and served two terms in the Vietnam War. He never really came back home other then for short leaves over the next 30 years. When I was younger, I was upset and angry that he 'left' us as my father had passed the year before and I felt abandoned by my older brother. I saw him as the man of the house, our protector. Completely unfair to hold him to that role but thats what my young mind and heart felt. I held onto that lack of trust and resentment towards him for many years, in part due to my alcoholism. My immature mind/heart held onto many 'unreasonable resentments' over the years....I think that is typical of alcoholism.
Anyways, just wanted to tell you that I recently had a visit with my older brother. We went on a hike and had a very nice talk and he said, I know you have had some upset feelings towards me over the years and I just want you to know Im sorry for anything I may have done or not done. We didnt get into specifics but when he said those words...all of the resentment and anger just melted away and I just cried with love for him.
My point I guess is that when your sister is in a better place ( I hope and pray she finds sobriety), maybe a conversation could take place that would bring loving forgiveness. Maybe amends could happen without pointing out ...you did this and I did this and etc but more so a general apology...etc.
Anyway, the fact that you are even concerned about her and her feelings speaks to the love you have for her. I hope she realizes that and embraces your relationship sooner then later.
Old 07-07-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
she wasn't on my 4th step list. I need to try and figure out what her issue is and why she maybe should be on the list.

yes. I have taken the steps in a different-than-'normal' fashion.

I know that's not what I'm 'supposed' to do - but it's what's working for me.
Respectfully, this goes back to my "my side of the street" comment previously. It's my job to figure out MY part in resentments/etc columns....not the other person's role or what their issue is (which would be by my perception anyway and a dubious guess at best).

Working the steps in non-order = working for you as in staying sober?
Or = working for you in keeping you growing and moving forward towards peace and strength in your program (on top of staying sober)?

I did some mental skipping around, so to speak - as I was thinking about 4-5 when I was still between 1-3 so I was prepared when I got there, and I made some 9/amends right after 4, and left others to follow....I had been living in 1,10 and 12 before my sponsor and I "officially" finished the steps a few days ago. My goal and focus is always on what keeps me on track and making progress. Just my $0.02 about step work.

I think many find that working them in order contributes to less angst because you begin to trust the process.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ooona View Post
Good Morning FreeOwl,

Just reading through your thread this morning got me thinking about my relationship with my older brother. He also left home when I was 5 and he was 18, he enlisted in the army and served two terms in the Vietnam War. He never really came back home other then for short leaves over the next 30 years. When I was younger, I was upset and angry that he 'left' us as my father had passed the year before and I felt abandoned by my older brother. I saw him as the man of the house, our protector. Completely unfair to hold him to that role but thats what my young mind and heart felt. I held onto that lack of trust and resentment towards him for many years, in part due to my alcoholism. My immature mind/heart held onto many 'unreasonable resentments' over the years....I think that is typical of alcoholism.
Anyways, just wanted to tell you that I recently had a visit with my older brother. We went on a hike and had a very nice talk and he said, I know you have had some upset feelings towards me over the years and I just want you to know Im sorry for anything I may have done or not done. We didnt get into specifics but when he said those words...all of the resentment and anger just melted away and I just cried with love for him.
My point I guess is that when your sister is in a better place ( I hope and pray she finds sobriety), maybe a conversation could take place that would bring loving forgiveness. Maybe amends could happen without pointing out ...you did this and I did this and etc but more so a general apology...etc.
Anyway, the fact that you are even concerned about her and her feelings speaks to the love you have for her. I hope she realizes that and embraces your relationship sooner then later.
Thank you. This is powerful. I appreciate it...... a very good core lesson here.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post

Working the steps in non-order = working for you as in staying sober?
Or = working for you in keeping you growing and moving forward towards peace and strength in your program (on top of staying sober)?
Both.

The steps are just a part of how I approach sobriety. There has also been therapy, counseling, introspection, journaling, self-work that have all led to my 'doing the steps' on specific issues in specifc ways that seem quite effective to me. I've grown and matured and moved beyond and in so doing, discovered new layers of self that then need to 'work the steps' in new ways.

I hear what you're saying and even agree that to an extent, following the rigid prescription of the steps as they are is very valuable. However I can say with full conviction that had I done "the steps" exactly as ordered in month one of sobriety - I'd have to do them all over again in month three, and in month eleven and month 36 and month 42...... because as I grow and deepen my sobriety and heal myself and my relationships and my life - I continually discover new things.

This thing about my sister is a great example. I have only one conscious memory of any sort of issue or impact to her from my drinking. We got in a hollering match when she was in her late teens and were at some party with her friends. I barely remember it because I was half-blackout-drunk and I'd be surprised if she remembers it fully either. I'd apologized back then - but that is literally the only thing I'm aware of. I'm also aware of her general resentment for my not being there...... but beyond that, I have been entirely unaware of her being angry, resentful or frustrated with me specifically about my drinking and any expectation or hurt stemming from it. So - I'm discovering. And whatever it is I'm learning in discovery about this thing with my sister is going to need 'stepping'..... I need to look honestly at myself and what her perspective is and be open to understanding it and making amends for it and letting go of any guilt of it and asking myself whether it represents some new character flaw I've not yet attended to and asking for help in transcending it and learning what I can about it to pass on to others in my ESH.

SO - my view is you're never 'done' with the steps. You adopt them as a tool in your sobriety and you learn to use them as a matter of course in your life.

I appreciate your viewpoint, I do hear and understand what you're saying and I am integrating your words into this as I listen to my inner wisdom for next steps.

Thank you.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I read your thread as daughter, not sister......my bad. That is indeed a horse of different color..........

You have developed a keen insight into sobriety while asking others to share experiences as well. Good for you in fighting the good fight.

One day at a time......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
horse.jpg (12.1 KB, 8 views)