SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hello (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/412274-hello.html)

skipper63 07-05-2017 11:56 AM

Hello

Hi everyone,

I guess it's obvious that I am looking for some help. Some perspective. And I guess some hope as well.

I am 53, with a good sized booze habit. I quit May 2, 2017 and that lasted for 32 days. I was hopeful and then decided to drink again. Light at first, but by the time two weeks had gone by, I was right back where I was. I am ashamed. I was proud of what I had done. I felt better in some ways, but I know that I had a ways yet to go before feeling better in a general/physical/psychological sense.

A friend of mine who is 8+ years sober, but lives 3,000 miles away told me to be kind to myself.

bimbott 07-05-2017 12:15 PM

Hi Skipper and welcome to SR. You made a great start, you knew you felt better for not drinking. Did you have a plan for stopping before? If not, have a look at the threads on Recovery Plans (I don't have the link), but someone more knowledgeable than me will most likely post it for you. Good luck.

tomls 07-05-2017 12:37 PM

Welcome!! You are not alone. You would not believe how many of us were /are just like you! It gets so much better, it just takes time. one day, one hour at a time. Best wishes on your journey!

starstarstar 07-05-2017 01:17 PM

Glad you're here!
The remorse and shame felt is horrid, isn't it? I'm only on day 2 again as I relapsed in June.. looking forward to feeling good about myself soon. You will too. :)

starstarstar 07-05-2017 01:22 PM

Oh! If you'd like additional support and accountability you can join the July group. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html

Hevyn 07-05-2017 01:24 PM

Great to meet you, Skipper! Being here helped me stop after 30 yrs. The encouragement & friendship is wonderful - and everyone understands. It's so hard for the normal drinkers in our life to get what we are going through. Before finding SR I felt all alone. We're glad to have you with us. Welcome!

least 07-05-2017 01:27 PM

Welcome to the family from one who was born in the Windy City. :)

Be kind to yourself is good advice. Early recovery can be hard, but if you stick with it, the rewards are many. :)

saoutchik 07-05-2017 01:31 PM

Welcome to SR skipper, this is an extensive site with lots of information on how to stay quit. 32 days was a good start.

MidnightRider 07-05-2017 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by skipper63 (Post 6525865)

I was hopeful and then decided to drink again. Light at first, but by the time two weeks had gone by, I was right back where I was.

Been there done that and bought the T-Shirt too!

Sometimes it takes a few swings at the ball to hit it out of the park.........

Yes.. be kind to yourself and stay close to SR !

Dee74 07-05-2017 02:49 PM

Welcome Skipper :)

You'll find a ton of support here :)
How did you stay sober for 30- days?

D

SnazzyDresser 07-06-2017 03:32 AM

Welcome aboard, skipper!

ClearPath64 07-06-2017 04:13 AM

Welcome Skipper. A fellow 53 year old here, and lifetime drinker. Been on the same roller coaster, over and over again. Starting fresh and really focusing on the exercise and nutrition this time. Our bodies can regenerate if we treat them right. We've got a lot of life yet to live and who knows what a sober existence can lead to? I'm right there with you.

sugarbear1 07-06-2017 04:19 AM

I quit at 50. I have 6+ years sober now.

You are worth sobriety!!

You CAN do this!!!!

Teetotaler56 07-06-2017 04:24 AM

Welcome back. There is no shame in not giving up. I also just joined the July group that Star posted. Last night Dee added some links to having a plan. Please check those out. I'm working on a plan today. There's great stuff there. We can do this! :grouphug:

skipper63 07-06-2017 08:30 AM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the welcomes.

Some one asked what my plan was in May when I quit first. I am not trying to sound flip, but my plan was to stop drinking.

Someone else asked how I did the 32 days I went without a drink... well, I quit drinking.

I am using a little humor to say that other than an awareness of the FACT that I am drinking too much and needed to stop... I had no plan. I have been writing back and forth with a friend of mine (we were very close in HS - partied a lot together) who recently passed his eight year mark. His words have been very helpful.

I have been lucky to not experience any "yets" (I have been reading about those on here), but I know that they are waiting for me to mess up again. I also have spent some time reading a very exhausting thread about "perfect weeks". Wow, seems like too much work... and I am not strong enough to do that. The last month has proven that to me.

I will continue to read. I thanked my HP for a sober day yesterday and a clearer morning this morning. I plan on having those thanks again tomorrow.

MidnightRider 07-06-2017 08:43 AM

Good to see you today Skipper!

There is group support thread you may want to check out..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html