SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Horrid experience on facebook (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/412273-horrid-experience-facebook.html)

Chilledice 07-05-2017 10:42 AM

Horrid experience on facebook

I was just horrendously attacked on facebook by a total stranger, to the point I have reported her for slander to Facebook's team.

All I did was give my opinion on a public post, I don't need this stress I almost had a panic attack!

Can I take this to the police?

Sorry guus I didnt know where else to turn.

Chilledice 07-05-2017 10:55 AM

Just dont need this stress

Ariesagain 07-05-2017 11:00 AM

Get off Facebook...it's a festival of passive aggression and immature acting out.

The police have other things to do than track down people being snotty to each other online. Unless this person threatened you with physical harm and knows how to locate you, it's not a police issue.

There will be another drama along any minute that will take the spotlight off yours. Try logging off and going for a walk...I find I usually forget all about it by the time I get back.

suki44883 07-05-2017 11:00 AM

I don't think this is a police matter. No one is forced to participate in Face Book. If you were threatened, then maybe, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

You can block that person so you don't have to put up with them again.

Chilledice 07-05-2017 11:02 AM

Defamation of character is a crime, this was more than being snotty.

I have an anxiety disorder so this sorta thing can send me over.

ScottFromWI 07-05-2017 11:06 AM

I got out of Facebook completely about 5 years ago ,it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

SeaOfSerenity 07-05-2017 11:08 AM

defamation of character and libel would moreso cover damage to reputation, sadly not hurt feelings

social media is terrible for anxiety disorders. id take the silver lining from this and use it as an example as to why you should consider not using any platform while suffering your disorder

MidnightRider 07-05-2017 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chilledice (Post 6525816)
Defamation of character is a crime, this was more than being snotty.

I have an anxiety disorder so this sorta thing can send me over.

Please take the advice and remove FB from your life...............

Why make yourself sick?

suki44883 07-05-2017 11:10 AM

Face Book isn't for everyone. If you have anxiety issues, I would recommend you not use it.

Anna 07-05-2017 11:11 AM

I agree, get off Facebook.

Chilledice 07-05-2017 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by SeaOfSerenity (Post 6525822)
defamation of character and libel would moreso cover damage to reputation, sadly not hurt feelings

social media is terrible for anxiety disorders. id take the silver lining from this and use it as an example as to why you should consider not using any platform while suffering your disorder

What she said could easily ruin my life, just because of an opinion I gave on a court case on the tv.

Ive been forced to delete my account

Opivotal 07-05-2017 11:14 AM

Sorry, this happened to you, Chilledice. If I had an anxiety disorder the last place I'd hang out is Facebook. It's a known mecca for bullies.

Do yourself a favor and either close your account or post only to friends and family.

Berrybean 07-05-2017 11:14 AM

Likelihood is that most people reading her remarks will just think she was nasty rather than agree with her. If your post was inflammatory or argumentative in any way maybe it's best to remove it if you're of a sensitive disposition. With most places, but definitely public forums, I try to heed the advice someone gave me once which was to "just ask yourself, does it need to be said? Does it need to be said now? Does it need to be said by me? If the answer to any of those questions is No, then keep it to yourself." It wasn't advice I particularly cared for at the time, and I can't say I manage to heed it 100%, but I'm a work in progress. And the times I have heeded it have saved me plenty of unnecessary resentment and anxiety, no doubt. Esp places like FarceBook where people really do want to be offended and offend and create drama to make their lives more interesting it seems.

Hope you feel better soon.
BB

BlownOne 07-05-2017 11:17 AM

If the person is a total stranger and doesn't know you personally, I doubt there could be anything she could know about you that could ruin your life. All they can do is speculate, and those aren't facts. It's happened to me as well, and I usually tactfully try to remind those ppl that they do not know me or anything about me. When I'm more agitated than is good for me, I simply deactivate my account for a time and go back when my peace has returned. That being said, I suffer from anxiety as well, so I try to be aware of what is a real threat and what is only a perceived threat on my part, because knowing the difference is key for my well being when agitated or feeling overly ill at ease. Best wishes to you!

Chilledice 07-05-2017 11:18 AM

It was just she called me THE most horrid thing in front of everyone, just because I thought a certain tv person was innocent.

I build mountians in my head, maybe this isnt as bad as it seems!

I reported her either way.

Ariesagain 07-05-2017 11:21 AM

It says lots more about her than about you.

Besides, for some internet bullies, the more upset you get, the better they like it. Don't give them the satisfaction, yes?

Chilledice 07-05-2017 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ariesagain (Post 6525835)
It says lots more about her than about you.

Besides, for some internet bullies, the more upset you get, the better they like it. Don't give them the satisfaction, yes?

Im breathing and calming down woooosaaah

miamifella 07-05-2017 11:34 AM

Liable is not a crime---it is a tort. There is nothing any law enforcement entity can do about it. If you can show damages and sue, that is the option open to you.

However, if this person is a stranger, it seems unlikely that any claim that they could make about you is likely to have enough credibility to actually do any damage. But if you find that you lose business opportunities. suffer damage to your property, or that friends drop you as a result of this FB comment, it might be worth consulting a lawyer.

AnvilheadII 07-05-2017 11:43 AM

yeah, you might have overreacted there just a smidge......trust me, closing your account is the best thing you could do!!! as an online forum one is exposed to the views of others, and FB doesn't have the same rules or wonderful mods/admins that SR does to keep things civil.

what are some ways you can bring yourself back down a few rungs on the stress ladder??

Gilmer 07-05-2017 11:44 AM

I'm sorry you were hurt, Chilledice.

Different people are deeply sensitive about a million different things.

When it comes to issues I know are controversial, I ask myself, "Would I be willing to risk persecution for my opinion? Is it that important to me?"

If not, I don't offer it.

PS--I'm another one who stays off of Facebook! :)

Some people get a big thrill out of picking fights (it's easy when you're anonymous)!