Notices

Horrid experience on facebook

Old 07-05-2017, 01:11 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
That's awesome!

You gotta cool tattoo as well bro.
I'm glad you enjoyed the Law!

The tattoo is not mine- but symbolizes my journey.

Nice work reaching out and accepting some different perspectives. It shows character and resiliency.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I agree, Chilled - never hesitate to share your feelings here. I tend to be hyper-sensitive too. It led me back to drinking a few times - to try and calm down. We now know it does just the opposite - only adds to our anxiety. Take care of yourself.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I agree, Chilled - never hesitate to share your feelings here. I tend to be hyper-sensitive too. It led me to drinking a few times - to try and calm down. We now know it does just the opposite - only adds to our anxiety. Take care of yourself.
Alcohol just doesn't push the anxiety away anymore, it used to but it ran it's course. I do miss the taste but one day at a time :-)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I build things up in my head, I can't help it right now. It's difficult fir me at times to recognise reality from unreality.

I just ALWAYS think of the worst.
Ditto. I did something stupid one night, I think it was the weekend before Thanksgiving? I knew it ticked a couple people off and my boss caught wind of it and asked me about it but I extinguished the situation.. but I didn't know who else the couple people who were ticked at me had told of my behavior.. and then I didn't know what my old and current bosses new of it.. and I literally spent from Thanksgiving through.. God, I probably only stopped obsessing over it at the beginning of my summer semester of school, because honestly I've just been too busy to retreat in to my own thoughts too much.

Point is, the people I ticked off probably moved on with their lives A SIGHT faster than I did, possibly immediately. But I obsessed daily for months and carried around a lot of fear, genuine anxiety about what these people all potentially thought of me.. and they were probably not even thinking about me!

It's the addict's personality.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Ditto. I did something stupid one night, I think it was the weekend before Thanksgiving? I knew it ticked a couple people off and my boss caught wind of it and asked me about it but I extinguished the situation.. but I didn't know who else the couple people who were ticked at me had told of my behavior.. and then I didn't know what my old and current bosses new of it.. and I literally spent from Thanksgiving through.. God, I probably only stopped obsessing over it at the beginning of my summer semester of school, because honestly I've just been too busy to retreat in to my own thoughts too much.

Point is, the people I ticked off probably moved on with their lives A SIGHT faster than I did. But I obsessed daily for months and carried around a lot of fear, genuine anxiety about what these people all potentially thought of me.. and they were probably not even thinking about me!

It's the addict's personality.

The therapy I am in is all about diversion and retraining my mind to think and act differently , I spoke to a psychotherapist who is goona help me walk out of my old ways :-)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:25 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Trudgin

If you want it out, shout it out. For every experience posted like this we never know how many others it helps, likely many. Thus far there are 300 + views of your thread. How many nod there heads saying yea, that's my problem too!

You've helped others today is my point. The law of large numbers applies here - we never know where those ripples go.

Well done
It's the first drink - the engine that's kills, not the caboose.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:26 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
If you want it out, shout it out. For every experience posted like this we never know how many others it helps, likely many. Thus far there are 300 + views of your thread. How many nod there heads saying yea, that's my problem too!

You've helped others today is my point. The law of large numbers applies here - we never know where those ripples go.

Well done
Thanks I really appreciate that!
Old 07-05-2017, 01:27 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

The therapy I am in is all about diversion and retraining my mind to think and act differently , I spoke to a psychotherapist who is goona help me walk out of my old ways :-)
I need to get on that. Schools intense right now but in August I'm looking in to it.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Alcohol just doesn't push the anxiety away anymore, it used to but it ran it's course. I do miss the taste but one day at a time :-)
Right there with ya!
Old 07-05-2017, 01:28 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I need to get on that. Schools intense right now but in August I'm looking in to it.
You can do it
Old 07-05-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I bet the Facebook stranger had no idea his/her nastiness would spark such an interesting and informative thread. For that, we should feel grateful to nasty facebook stranger. And pity. Happy people don't need to be mean.

And like so many others, my life is much better since I left Facebook behind. I'm glad you sound happier now chilledice
Old 07-05-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
I bet the Facebook stranger had no idea his/her nastiness would spark such an interesting and informative thread. For that, we should feel grateful to nasty facebook stranger. And pity. Happy people don't need to be mean.

And like so many others, my life is much better since I left Facebook behind. I'm glad you sound happier now chilledice
LOL I never thought of it like that!

nasty facebook person

I feel better lol
Old 07-05-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling better chilledice

D
Old 07-05-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I'm not making excuses for the person who wrote nasty comments towards you, but maybe they were under the influence of something. We all have experienced being under the influence and know what it entails. So try not to take their words personally.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I got out of Facebook completely about 5 years ago ,it was one of the best decisions I ever made.
^^^I was just about to post something exactly like this^^^
Old 07-05-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
I agree!

Get off Facepoop.

It brings nothing good and it's all FAKE!

I rather work on my real life.
Facepoop!!!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:45 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I have kept my FarceBook account as I do use it for keeping in touch and sharing photos with family and friends overseas, and find it useful for that purpose, and also the events notifications are handy. If don't tend to spend much time browsing through more general stuff any more, and no longer believe all the projection that people plaster on there. After all, if I look at my own posts and photos from back in the drinking days I would see a smiling face, pretty dresses, a highly social existence. It hid the truth pretty well. It gives me a wry smile when people campaign via FB about the unrealistic body expectations society projects and promotes via models and advertising, when the unrealistic life expectations projected and promoted via social media can be just as damagjng. I loved Nadia Bolz-Weber's sermon about the cutting-room floor of social media... Sermon on how the good is so good and the bad is so useful

Anyway. Well done for reaching out and talking about how you were feeling so people who were in a calmer place with the benefit of distanced perspective could help work it through. This place and the friends I have made in the fellowship of AA have got me so many of these kind of emotional-haemorages while I worked through my recovery and learned how to do life on lifes terms without deadening its emotional impact on me by acting out (using drink or whatever).

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 07-05-2017, 10:11 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I have the obsessive and worst case scenarios going too chilledice but it's improving, and in trying not to state the obvious stopping drinking has been critical in being able to walk myself out, as you say.

You sound heaps better now. It just ain't worth it, and glad you got rid of face comic. Why entertain them?

I have never been on fb in my life, had a bad feeling about it from the start.

Yours was a great post kenton.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:35 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Sounds like your are feeling more calm about the situation, I'm glad.

I use FB because many of my friends and family live across the country, and it is a nice way to share pictures and life events with them.

With the tense political climate in the US right now many things end up on social media and people have said some awful things to and about each other. I have a definite opinion, but I am not going to share it online and open myself up to crazy and unkind remarks. I think we need to use social media in a way that makes our lives better, not causes more anxiety.

I use SR for support, FB to communicate with far away family and friends, LinkedIn to network and keep up with professional reading, that is actually where I networked with someone who told me about the job I will be starting soon, I also use twitter, instwgram and Snapchat, but those are to keep on top of what my kids are posting.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

LOL I never thought of it like that!

nasty facebook person

I feel better lol
and he helped ya learned, so YAY for assclowns!!