Blogs


Notices

Horrid experience on facebook

Old 07-05-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chilledice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 2,057
Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
yeah, you might have overreacted there just a smidge......trust me, closing your account is the best thing you could do!!! as an online forum one is exposed to the views of others, and FB doesn't have the same rules or wonderful mods/admins that SR does to keep things civil.

what are some ways you can bring yourself back down a few rungs on the stress ladder??
Goona go into the garden and have a rollie and a cuppa :-)
Chilledice is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chilledice For This Useful Post:
Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), PippoRossi (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017), tomsteve (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Member
 
Jules714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: North East, USA
Posts: 704
Next month it will be a year since I logged onto FB. It's the most disingenuous display of "life" ever. It has been a relief.
Feel better.
J
Jules714 is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jules714 For This Useful Post:
Caramel (07-05-2017), Chilledice (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), PippoRossi (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chilledice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 2,057
Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I'm sorry you were hurt, Chilledice.

Different people are deeply sensitive about a million different things.

When it comes to issues I know are controversial, I ask myself, "Would I be willing to risk persecution for my opinion? Is it that important to me?"

If not, I don't offer it.

PS--I'm another one who stays off of Facebook!

Some people get a big thrill out of picking fights (it's easy when you're anonymous)!
I just gotta stay off there for a while, I created a new account for a christian forum my parents run, an incognito profile with no pic etc
Chilledice is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chilledice For This Useful Post:
Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017), tomsteve (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 11:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,981
People talk a ton of crap all over facebook, and if it is really bothering you, I'll be another vote to just stay away from it.
Forward12 is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Forward12 For This Useful Post:
Chilledice (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017), tomsteve (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,869
I agree!

Get off Facepoop.

It brings nothing good and it's all FAKE!

I rather work on my real life.
Nowsthetime is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nowsthetime For This Useful Post:
Chilledice (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), PippoRossi (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017), tomsteve (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Trudgin
 
Fly N Buy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,345
When most people get a flat tire, they call a road repair facility. I call suicide hotline!

As an alcoholic I am prone to extremism. Something was either the best or the worst - no real middle ground what so ever. It took me a pretty good time period, but today if something bothers me that much I have the tools to understand why without letting my emotions run wild.I am learning emotional sobriety - it took the pain you're experiencing today to get to that point though.

All that said, I am in the deleted my FakeBook account camp as well.

Nothing to drink over
Fly N Buy is offline  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fly N Buy For This Useful Post:
aasharon90 (07-05-2017), Ariesagain (07-05-2017), Chilledice (07-05-2017), CreativeThinker (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), Hevyn (07-05-2017), PippoRossi (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017), tomsteve (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chilledice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 2,057
Sorry guys I feel a bit silly now, it's iust the state of mind im in right now.

I didn't know where else to turn, I use this place as a venting tool and therapist office, hope that's ok.
Chilledice is offline  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Chilledice For This Useful Post:
Berrybean (07-05-2017), BlownOne (07-05-2017), Caramel (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), PippoRossi (07-05-2017), ScottFromWI (07-05-2017), SeaOfSerenity (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017), tomsteve (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forum Leader
 
ScottFromWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 16,173
Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
Sorry guys I feel a bit silly now, it's iust the state of mind im in right now.

I didn't know where else to turn, I use this place as a venting tool and therapist office, hope that's ok.
This is exactly what SR is here for, no reason to feel silly at all. Sharing our experiences and struggles is what recovery is all about.
ScottFromWI is offline  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ScottFromWI For This Useful Post:
Caramel (07-05-2017), Chilledice (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), Hevyn (07-05-2017), PippoRossi (07-05-2017), SeaOfSerenity (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017), tomsteve (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chilledice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 2,057
Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
This is exactly what SR is here for, no reason to feel silly at all. Sharing our experiences and struggles is what recovery is all about.
Thank you so much!

And hey, I didn't drink :-D ...before the bottle would be the first thing id go and grab, something has changed in me!
Chilledice is offline  
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Chilledice For This Useful Post:
Ariesagain (07-05-2017), August252015 (07-06-2017), Caramel (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), Ina123 (07-05-2017), ScottFromWI (07-05-2017), SeaOfSerenity (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017), tomsteve (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,950
No matter how horrid it was, it's just words on a screen. How could it have been so bad that you were forced to shut down your account? Who did they tell these things about you to? An employer? A family member? Why is it such a threat to your reputation? Furthermore deleting your account doesn't delete THEIR comments. No need to shut out all of your other fb friends.

Never argue with strangers on public posts. Otherwise, fb is nice.
BrendaChenowyth is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrendaChenowyth For This Useful Post:
Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 523
No need to feel silly. I've been in that boat as well. It's all good =)
BlownOne is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlownOne For This Useful Post:
Chilledice (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:54 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 523
Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
No matter how horrid it was, it's just words on a screen. How could it have been so bad that you were forced to shut down your account? Who did they tell these things about you to? An employer? A family member? Why is it such a threat to your reputation? Furthermore deleting your account doesn't delete THEIR comments. No need to shut out all of your other fb friends.

Never argue with strangers on public posts. Otherwise, fb is nice.
deleting your own account does delete the comments by the other party if they responded directly to your comment.
BlownOne is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlownOne For This Useful Post:
Anna (07-05-2017), Chilledice (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,950
Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
When most people get a flat tire, they call a road repair facility. I call suicide hotline!

As an alcoholic I am prone to extremism. Something was either the best or the worst - no real middle ground what so ever. It took me a pretty good time period, but today if something bothers me that much I have the tools to understand why without letting my emotions run wild.I am learning emotional sobriety - it took the pain you're experiencing today to get to that point though.

All that said, I am in the deleted my FakeBook account camp as well.

Nothing to drink over
Emotional extremism is exactly right, and I definitely think that's an alcoholic trait.. Change your name, change your phone number, your life is over. Nobody will ever let you live down the fact that Susan's brother's neighbor caught you picking your nose in the car and told everyone. I'm trying to be funny, I know it's not THAT trivial, but I'm saying understand that in the moment it does feel dire and then later it is not so much.
BrendaChenowyth is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BrendaChenowyth For This Useful Post:
Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chilledice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 2,057
Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
No matter how horrid it was, it's just words on a screen. How could it have been so bad that you were forced to shut down your account? Who did they tell these things about you to? An employer? A family member? Why is it such a threat to your reputation? Furthermore deleting your account doesn't delete THEIR comments. No need to shut out all of your other fb friends.

Never argue with strangers on public posts. Otherwise, fb is nice.
I build things up in my head, I can't help it right now. It's difficult fir me at times to recognise reality from unreality.


I just ALWAYS think of the worst.
Chilledice is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chilledice For This Useful Post:
Berrybean (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Member
 
Ultramarathoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,175
David Pollay may suggest situations like these call for one to recognize the "Law of the Garbage Truck":

The Law of the Garbage Truck: "Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. . . . And if you let them, they'll dump it on you. So when someone wants to dump on you, don't take it personally . . . move on."

While I prefer to think that "some" not "many" resemble garbage trucks, I think the analogy is strong.
Ultramarathoner is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ultramarathoner For This Useful Post:
Chilledice (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chilledice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 2,057
Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
The Law of the Garbage Truck: "Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. . . . And if you let them, they'll dump it on you. So when someone wants to dump on you, don't take it personally . . . move on."
That's awesome!

You gotta cool tattoo as well bro.
Chilledice is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chilledice For This Useful Post:
Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-06-2017), PippoRossi (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 30,206
Originally Posted by Chilledice View Post
I build things up in my head, I can't help it right now. It's difficult fir me at times to recognise reality from unreality.


I just ALWAYS think of the worst.
That's the beauty of SR: like-minded, kindly, objective people are here to rein us in when we start veering off into excessive territory.
Gilmer is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gilmer For This Useful Post:
Caramel (07-05-2017), Chilledice (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Fly N Buy (07-05-2017), Hevyn (07-05-2017), PippoRossi (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chilledice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 2,057
Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
That's the beauty of SR: like-minded, kindly, objective people are here to rein us in when we start veering off into excessive territory.
I knew I had to come and vent and have you guys put it into perspective for me.

Im amazed I didnt drink and totally excited about it.
Chilledice is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chilledice For This Useful Post:
Berrybean (07-05-2017), Caramel (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), PippoRossi (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator
 
Anna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dancing in the Light
Posts: 53,764
Chilledice, don't feel bad about coming here and posting. We are here for just this reason. We don't want you to turn to alcohol when you're upset. You did great. You came here for support and closed down your account. Very positive!
Anna is online now  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Caramel (07-05-2017), Chilledice (07-05-2017), Dee74 (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), Hevyn (07-05-2017), least (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Chilledice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 2,057
Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Chilledice, don't feel bad about coming here and posting. We are here for just this reason. We don't want you to turn to alcohol when you're upset. You did great. You came here for support and closed down your account. Very positive!
I might just do a victory dance now lol
Chilledice is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chilledice For This Useful Post:
Berrybean (07-05-2017), Delilah1 (07-05-2017), Gilmer (07-05-2017), PippoRossi (07-05-2017), Steely (07-05-2017), tomsteve (07-05-2017)

Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 PM.