Notices

Why so anxious?

Old 07-05-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Why so anxious?

Did anyone get really bad anxiety around 8 months?

I know I've got a lot to deal with at the moment but my anxiety is off the scale. And I'm never usually anxious. Couldn't sleep last night and today I'm worrying about everything..even stupid things that I can't control and never usually bother me.

I meditated earlier and went for a long run yesterday; doing the things I know should help. Just wondered whether this is another normal part of recovery or whether something else might be going on. I know you can't give medical advice but wondered if anyone can relate.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. Could be the situations you are in. I know I had some stuff come up around month 10 that gave me horrible anxiety when it probably shouldn't have. I hope you feel better soon. Sounds like your taking the necessary steps to help alleviate it.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Coffee?
Old 07-05-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kenton, congratulations on 8 months of recovery.

I experienced anxiety long before I began drinking and it's still part of my life. It's how I'm wired, I guess. It was so much worse during the drinking years, and I'm grateful it's more manageable now. It could be a normal part of recovery or it could be that you might experience anxiety in your life from time to time. There are healthy ways to deal with anxiety, such as breathing exercises and meditation, which might help you get through days like this.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes.
I am a VERY anxious person.
Most addicts and alcoholics are nervous people. We have that "nervous disposition."
It gets easier to deal with over time.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Yes...

But I no longer think it has anything to do with quitting drinking.

Sometimes the mind is overloaded....

Or I think ....sometimes the "stars" are out of wack or it's a full moon kinda thing (but that's just me and the way I think).

One thing for sure......... it too shall pass!!!
Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone,

Good to know I'm not alone. Maybe I've always suffered from anxiety from time to time but drank through it and then blamed the anxiety on whatever drama the drinking led to. I guess it's good to feel things as they truly are - not distorted by alcohol. I probably just need practice at dealing with these tricky emotions when they arise without hitting the bottle.

The good thing is I'm far too anxious to even think about drinking. Drinking couldn't be further from my mind. Every cloud ...
Old 07-05-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My anxiety was off the scale at month 3 worse than when I was drinking. Apparently it's not uncommon but I have suffered with anxiety long before the drinking, I just self medicated it!!
But with CBT therapy, yoga and mediation it's much better.