Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Anecdata thought: Why did you quit? (are quits successful if not for the Ls?)

Notices

Anecdata thought: Why did you quit? (are quits successful if not for the Ls?)

Old 12-23-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Great question, I suppose I stopped for all 3 L's.
My grandma has fatty liver, I don't want that.
I didn't want to lose my lover
And I couldn't bare to pay more in lawyer fee's for my stupidity.
But I also quit because it was just time to. I have a 2.5 year old and I promised myself he would never see me drunk. While he has seen me drunk, I'm hoping there was no damage done to him. I want him to have a better life, a family life where alcohol isn't around. I want to stop the cycle, per say.
I've also done a lot of hurtful things to those close to me and I never want to do those things again.
I also want to live a life of adventure, not surrounded by alcohol and the hangovers the next day and canceling plans due to them.
I like to be a person of my word, which has been broken to often because of the effects of alcohol.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I quit after spending several years dealing with my 'generalized anxiety'. Never willing to admit that I knew exactly what was causing it. My drinking patterns.
Add on a very expensive trip to the ER and ever lengthening hangovers before I finally admitted my drinking was causing major problems in my life.
I'm lucky to still have a job and a roof over my head
Old 12-23-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by readyt0change View Post
The thought probably came as early as 21 but this summer I was drinking the most I've ever had, going to the bar 3 times a week on average.

Slowed down at the end of July but still drank and smoked thru august to october.

My last night I had a moment of clarity heading home on the streetcar. I had the spins, puked, (wasn't even that wasted but the joints got to me) and never in my life have I wanted to be sober. That moment was straw that broke the camels back it seems. Many many nights of disappointment heading back on the subway wondering why the **** am I doing this to myself? What's the point?

Woke up the morning of October 23 and I've been sober since.

Drugs and alcohol have been the main priority for the past 7 years and it's done nothing but harm to me and my family. I quit for my health and because it's limited me so much in my life. Who am I kidding? it's ruined my life until now. I was such a promising student in high school, when I didn't smoke or drink (my mom kept me on a tight leash.)

25 years old and I could barely keep a job with my habits. My dad is right when he says the substances affect me more than most. My addiction is by far my biggest weakness.

61 days this morning and I'm thankful. Have some money in the bank, will move out and leave my abusive mother and build a life for myself. I will change my life.
You are so smart to stop at 25, you have your whole life ahead of you. I wish I was smart enough to stop at that age!
Old 12-23-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I knew I was drinking too much for a long time. I never had a rock bottom moment, just lots of moments when I wasn't st my best. I got sick of waking up with that foggy feeling. I had wavered between short periods of sobriety and failed attempts at moderation for a long time, and finally was just done.on NYE 2015 I made the decision that I had my last drink, and I am nine days away from two years sober.

SR has been the biggest part of my recovery plan, and I am very grateful for this site, and the amazing people I have met.

For anyone thinking about quitting, I can promise you sobriety is worth it!
Old 12-23-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I quit because I was tired of the roller coaster. Drink hard on the weekend. Hungover every weekend. Horrible anxiety on Monday/Tuesday. Starting to feel normal by Wednesday. Rinse and repeat. Many small things that could have turned into big things. I knew at 23 it was a problem but didn’t stop till I was 34.

There is a huge community out there of people who are quitting drinking before they hit bottom. Google gray area drinkers or early exit from drinking. A few Instagram accounts are drybeclub and healthy discoveries. Those 2 women also have a podcast called edit which deals with this very topic!
Old 12-23-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I got sober cause I was sick to death of waking up feeling horrible and hating myself.