Notices

Tomorrow

Old 07-02-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jules714 View Post
Hi.
Call your doctor. You can't do this cold turkey. Very dangerous.
I'd taper if you can't get ahold of your doctor. Drink lots of water and eat as healthy as possible. Post here as these folks are immensely supportive and knowledgeable. It's going to be rough for first 4-5 days, but it's much better than being drunk.
GL,
J
Scared.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best advice for now is to cut your losses, dump the rest, drink some water, and go to bed.

we'll be here tomorrow

D
Old 07-02-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If you can't talk to your doctor openly than go to the ER. Detox from alcohol & withdrawal can be deadly. You will need to take meds and be supervised. A medical professional has to oversee. I meant if you can't get a hold of your doc bc of the Holiday, then attempt to taper to stave off the withdrawl. That might work until Wed. Speaking for myself, I was never able to taper and quit...I just stretched it out until I got more money, or got through the family gathering, etc. Vodka too was my DOC. And it was brutal to withdrawl from my 1-2 pint a day habit the seemingly 1457 times I attempted to quit before. I'm at day 11 for what I truly hope is the last time.
If it's an option for you, try an AA MTG. I'm headed out to one now. Honestly cannot get there soon enough. It helps me tremendously to be with people who get me..and support me...as much as it helps reading/posting here.
Take good care. I think I spent the first 3 days in bed or in the shower, this last go around. But I had doctor prescribed meds to get through the withdrawl safely.
J
Old 07-02-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The best advice for now is to cut your losses, dump the rest, drink some water, and go to bed.

we'll be here tomorrow

D
Thanks, Dee. Glad to see you are still here, five years later.

Just forced some food

As in, Forced. Wowsa. Never thought I would get to the point that food would need to be forced. 😕
Old 07-02-2017, 04:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jules714 View Post
If you can't talk to your doctor openly than go to the ER. Detox from alcohol & withdrawal can be deadly. You will need to take meds and be supervised. A medical professional has to oversee. I meant if you can't get a hold of your doc bc of the Holiday, then attempt to taper to stave off the withdrawl. That might work until Wed. Speaking for myself, I was never able to taper and quit...I just stretched it out until I got more money, or got through the family gathering, etc. Vodka too was my DOC. And it was brutal to withdrawl from my 1-2 pint a day habit the seemingly 1457 times I attempted to quit before. I'm at day 11 for what I truly hope is the last time.
If it's an option for you, try an AA MTG. I'm headed out to one now. Honestly cannot get there soon enough. It helps me tremendously to be with people who get me..and support me...as much as it helps reading/posting here.
Take good care. I think I spent the first 3 days in bed or in the shower, this last go around. But I had doctor prescribed meds to get through the withdrawl safely.
J
Thank you.

I have never been afraid of Cold Turkey before. I am now. ****. Can we swear in this forum? OMG
Old 07-02-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you can't see your doctor, for whatever reasons, then just don't drink, and go to the ER if your withdrawal gets bad. The first few days are rough, but it gets better.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Sorry to read of your struggles to get sober...to even get to day one.

Originally Posted by LSNP View Post
I am getting desperate.
Desperate enough to do anything to get sober?

You resist going to your doctor for reasons you care not to divulge, and that's your prerogative.

Fear has a great way of overriding our desperation. What other fears are keeping you from obtaining recovery? Fear of AA? Fear of Rehab? Fear of counseling and therapy. If you are truly desperate to get sober, then desperate times require desperate measures. Take the leap to do what it takes to recover from alcoholism.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You can do this, and SR is in your corner!!
Old 07-04-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi LSNP how are you doing today?

Peace X
Old 07-04-2017, 09:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LSNP View Post
I realize that. Thank you.

I need to wean. I cannot go from a Texas Fifth to Cold Turkey and seeing my doctor is not an option for reasons I do not want explain.
If you cannot speak to YOUR doctor, then go speak to a different doctor. Weaning is not something that alcoholics can do alone and unsupervised as once we take the first drink we're back in the zone.

I've heard many people's different reasons for not being able to consult their doctor or get help. I was one of the people who convinced myself of lots of 'reasons' that I couldn't speak openly to a doctor, but at the bottom of it all was basically fear (of judgement, and of stopping drinking, and of finding something out about my health that I would prefer to remain ignorant of) and shame. If I'd lived somewhere I had to pay for my doctor consultations, then finances would have been a convenient addition to my excuses, even though I had always managed to find money for booze somehow or another.

I thank God for the gift of desperation. Without that I would have continued living a Not-Life full of excuses for why things couldn't change. It took me a while to be ready to quit though (years of effing about with attempts at moderation,and cuttings back, and changing my poison, or my poison shop, or fellow-poisoners). Eventually though, I got desperate enough to believe had no choice but to believe it when I was told that actually there are no problems, just solutions we don't like, and was able to really acknowledge that if nothing changes, then actually nothing will change, and that change had to start with ME, not everything or everyone else around me. Well, actually it wasn't really 'believing' at that point, that came a bit later I suppose. At that point I was more just choosing to trust what others told me had worked for them (people on here, and then later at AA as well) - I decided to just give their sobriety and recovery malarkey a proper shot, and if it didn't work after a year, THEN I could kill myself if I still thought that was a better solution (and for a while there it did seem the only way that I would ever be likely to find some peace).

I would suggest that before you have that coffee you...
tip out any left over booze - yep, all of it
eat some breakfast
get yourself showered and dressed
and find out the times and locations of the support meetings near you with a view to getting yourelf to one today. (AA really IS anonymous - I am a teacher, and honestly would not have wanted any of my colleagues, parents or kids knowing!)

If you think the coffee is going to trigger you then don't have it, but having a simple plan for the rest of the day will help.

The HALT triggers really are more powerful than I ever appreciated, and even at over 3 years sober if more than one is present for me then it really does affect the quality of my sobriety even if I do not drink. So, HALT! These are the things to plan your day around avoiding.
H is for Hungry. A is for Angry. L is for Lonely. T is for Tired.

I'd also suggest staying close to this forum and reading and posting throughout the day.

You CAN do this.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.
BB
Old 07-04-2017, 10:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you today LSNP?

D
Old 07-04-2017, 10:06 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi LSNP,

Just saw your post, wondering how you are doing tonight. You can hear in your posts how much you want sobriety, and that is the first step. Sometimes the best thing we can do is reach out for help. If you are struggling physically please go to the ER, there will not be any judgement. Also, consider some face to face help, or even rehab to give you that jump start on sobriety.

Check in and let us know how you are doing. You can do this, one day, or Edwin one minute at a time.

❤️Delilah
Old 07-05-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Sorry to read of your struggles to get sober...to even get to day one.

Desperate enough to do anything to get sober?

You resist going to your doctor for reasons you care not to divulge, and that's your prerogative.

Fear has a great way of overriding our desperation. What other fears are keeping you from obtaining recovery? Fear of AA? Fear of Rehab? Fear of counseling and therapy. If you are truly desperate to get sober, then desperate times require desperate measures. Take the leap to do what it takes to recover from alcoholism.
I went through a horrifying custody battle. All of my medical records were deposed. Damning "evidence" of a session I had with a doctor that wrote it down wrong. Even my ex said she screwed me. I later found out she had a brain tumor.

I do not like medical records. I told her my brother was a prison guard. She wrote he was in prison. And more.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
How are you today LSNP?

D
Not good. Reached out to a friend for a meeting. Right now just experiencing what the aftermath of a five day bender feels like. Not so fun.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi LSNP,

Just saw your post, wondering how you are doing tonight. You can hear in your posts how much you want sobriety, and that is the first step. Sometimes the best thing we can do is reach out for help. If you are struggling physically please go to the ER, there will not be any judgement. Also, consider some face to face help, or even rehab to give you that jump start on sobriety.

Check in and let us know how you are doing. You can do this, one day, or Edwin one minute at a time.

❤️Delilah
Not good today. Tomorrow I am going to try for Day One. My plan is to go eat a country breakfast dinner, come home, sleep .
Old 08-30-2019, 03:08 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Time....

....passes on.

Cannot believe I posted that so long ago.

I had one day sober. For my daughter alcohol, like any drug, sucks.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Will desperation override your fear this time?
Old 08-30-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many people don;t make it back LSNP so it's good you did. Got a plan for going ahead now?

D
Old 08-30-2019, 04:20 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

LSNP, hello, man, it doesn't sound like you can you cut down to one or two drinks every now and then. If you can, you should be good to go; if you can't, are you willing to do whatever it takes to stop drinking?

Bear in mind, you may not like what you have to do.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:58 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

What's up LS? Many of us stray from here, less make it back. Maybe you can be one of us who gets it right this time. Clearly you have something in you that wants to get sober and live sober.

Welcome back.