Notices

One day, one night alone.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One day, one night alone.

Tomorrow my family is going out of town for the day/night and I will be alone. I have been staying with my family since I've been sober and I don't have a lot of support outside of them. I isolated myself from everyone in my life during the last couple years of my drinking and I don't have friends I can call on or who understand what I'm going through right now.

I'm terrified of drinking because I will have the opportunity and because I have been struggling emotionally. I plan on going to two meetings, but I'm afraid to spend the night alone. Once 5:00pm hits my AV kicks in and I'm afraid I will give in.

I guess dealing with this alone, I just wonder what others have done. I am determined to not drink, but being so up and down lately, I'm worried I will crash and give in.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi giraffegirl, something I did early on was post before I drank, it helped me a few times. Being alone was a killer for me too. I could indulge in my secret and no one would know. Its really a wrong headed way to think. Stay strong...post often.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that planning is the key. Is there a movie that you've been wanting to go and see, or how about treating yourself to a spa evening or massage? Hopefully you can find something special to do for yourself. Be sure to remind yourself that you are doing this for YOU. And, you can always come here to SR and find support.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is it possible to remove the ability to leave your house? like send the vehicle keys along with the people who are leaving? Of course this doesn't work if the store is within walking distance. The easiest way to remove temptation is to remove the ability to be tempted.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have in the past given my keys, my debit card, my cash and even my change jar to someone I trust to hold onto for me. (Store in walking distance)
Keep posting! I will be alone, going through it and feeling tempted too.
GL,
J
Old 07-02-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jules714 View Post
I have in the past given my keys, my debit card, my cash and even my change jar to someone I trust to hold onto for me. (Store in walking distance)
Keep posting! I will be alone, going through it and feeling tempted too.
GL,
J

I do this too, and it helps me so so much as when I'm alone and have money then that means trouble
Old 07-02-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SR is open 24 hrs!
Old 07-02-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

GG, ya know how you learn to be by yourself and not drink?
by being by yourself the 1st time.

got an HP?

where ya at in the steps?

got a big book to read? other recovery literature?
Old 07-02-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
GG, ya know how you learn to be by yourself and not drink?
by being by yourself the 1st time.

got an HP?

where ya at in the steps?

got a big book to read? other recovery literature?
I've been going to meetings. I have the big book, but haven't started reading it. I haven't found a sponsor, but I do have family I can call.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm not the best at giving advice on abstaining, but listen to what the others have said and remember that when you get past this hurdle you'll become stronger and next time it will be easier for you. You got this
Old 07-02-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am alone too. I'm in CO, and my folks are in CA. I speak to them once a month or so to keep them fed, and to pay their rent.

My best friend is with her amazing family, and she is supportive of my quitting, but okay if I'm not. She's over in the east coast with family for the weekend, so it's been tough.

Go out there and do something you're passionate about. That's helped me in the past...
Old 07-02-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going giraffegirl ?

when my inner addict whispered who'd know I answered I would.

Just because I have the opportunity to behave like a irresponsible teenager doesn't mean I have to take that opportunity any more

I'm not who I used to be - and I think the sameholds true for you too.

You're not a hapless victim in all of this - no bottle is going to leap up and force you to drink from it

It's your choices that dictate what happens - I have faith that you'll make good choices.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi
I d suggest that you share what you shared with us at the meeting. Ask if anyone is going for dinner or coffee afterwars... Aka the meeting after the meeting and if u could join them.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Hi
I d suggest that you share what you shared with us at the meeting. Ask if anyone is going for dinner or coffee afterwars... Aka the meeting after the meeting and if u could join them.
That's a good idea. I have struggled asking for help. There is a part of me that is worried about coming off as selfish. I will try to share tomorrow and see where that gets me. I've shared, but nothing personal. I just don't trust people.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hows it going giraffegirl ?

when my inner addict whispered who'd know I answered I would.

Just because I have the opportunity to behave like a irresponsible teenager doesn't mean I have to take that opportunity any more

I'm not who I used to be - and I think the sameholds true for you too.

You're not a hapless victim in all of this - no bottle is going to leap up and force you to drink from it

It's your choices that dictate what happens - I have faith that you'll make good choices.
You're right. I am not who I used to be. The bottle can't make me drink from it. I'm on day 47 and I've noticed the urge to drink has gotten stronger.

Did anyone else experience this during this point in their recovery?
Old 07-02-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

My addiction certainly progressed the more years I gave to drinking GG. It does get easier tho
D
Old 07-02-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Giraffegirl2013 View Post
You're right. I am not who I used to be. The bottle can't make me drink from it. I'm on day 47 and I've noticed the urge to drink has gotten stronger.

Did anyone else experience this during this point in their recovery?
I had a lot of trouble around the two month mark. My guard went down and I relapsed, twice. It's a long time to get to two months again and I beat myself up over it a bit.

Now I'm almost 5 months off the booze and it is getting easier, hang in there you've made it a long long way so far!
Old 07-03-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No harm in camping out on SR for the evening, plan ahead, thoughts are thoughts, we don't have to act on them!!
Old 07-03-2017, 11:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Giraffegirl2013;6522688 There is a part of me that is worried about coming off as selfish. .[/QUOTE]

early recovery is the right time to be selfish.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Giraffegirl2013;6522694 I'm on day 47 and I've noticed the urge to drink has gotten stronger.

Did anyone else experience this during this point in their recovery?[/QUOTE]

extremely stronger, although i called it the mental obsession.
thats where working the steps came in. as i worked the steps, the promises occured, which one set of them are
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone-even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality—safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.