Notices

Closest I've come to drinking

Old 07-02-2017, 01:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Closest I've come to drinking

It has been a absolutely horrible week for me. My computer crashed with everything in it and NO.... no no no.... I had not backed up to iCloud or an external hard drive (go do that right now folks). I took my computer to three different places who all said there was no hope, everything was lost. I finally found a shop that was able to take the destroyed hard disc and extract the data out bit by bit and save everything. Thank god. But I then had to buy a new computer. I do not have the budget for this but have to have a computer for work.
The money thing stressed me to no end.
Being without a computer for a week while work commitments swirled around me, feeling lost without my files and calendars stressed me to no end.
Being blamed for this problem by my ex (and horribly, my "boss" as he owns the property I manage) stressed me to no end.
I was ready to drink it all away, I was.
Setting up my new computer and facing tons of new issues with my mail system (still not working) and figuring out the Belgian keyboard (I could only afford a used computer and it happens to have a Belgian keyboard, fml) stressed me to no end.

Yesterday the week culminated in the check-out check-in day at the villa, all going on the fly. I had to speak to my ex about emails and such, hoping he would be willing to help but he was (as usual) in a nasty mood and was emotionally and psychologically abusive to me. He is a narcissist with near sociopathic tendencies. I got closer to the edge.

But I didn't drink, I knew it would only make things insurmountably worse. I would have checked in here earlier but have not been able to do anything computer wise until now.

I just needed to vent and would love some sympathy for my computer woes!!! Nothing like technology to send one straight to the edge of sanity.

PLEASE, go back up your computer RIGHT NOW. I cannot stress this enough. I knew it, everyone knows it, but we all put it off. Let me be your example, back it up today!
Old 07-02-2017, 01:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel your pain that sounds horrendous! It's quite scary how much we rely on technology and I must admit I'd too be near the edge if that happened. You did GREAT staying sober and organized to get it sorted. Plus your ex in the picture? Yuk!
Keep going this was a big test and you passed with flying colours!
Old 07-02-2017, 01:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sending lots of empathy your way Meraviglioso

Great job on not resorting to alcohol to 'check-out' on life when it gets tough...see what I did there...'check-out...check-in' 😉 yes it was poor lol

Wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 07-02-2017, 02:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you stayed sober Mera - and glad you got all the old data.

D
Old 07-02-2017, 03:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Mera, I had the same experience about 2 weeks ago.

Stress is tremendous.

I've now keep all the important documents in the OneDrive synchronized folder.

And kudos for not drinking. Staying sober helps us to make the best out of the worst situation.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done on staying alcohol free. Thinking about how much more stressed out you would be now if you had had that drink must give you a great feeling, right?
Old 07-02-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Meraviglioso
I can so relate. when something goes wrong with my computer or smart phone I get so frustrated and angry. It is a huge trigger for me no doubt.

I glad you did not drink over it. but I can so relate.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Can you get an external keyboard? I know I had a piece of junk used laptop a few years ago,when I was first getting started on my new business and half the keys didn't work. I bought a cheap external keyboard to use with it.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Much respect to you Meraviglioso, I bet you will come back stronger after this episode. Hopefully it will not be too long before you are in a position not to have to work with your ex who does not sound like he is good for you.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just checked on Amazon on the external keyboards and they range from $10-$20US...Might be worth a look for you. Hang in there either way!