Notices

Commitment

Old 07-01-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Staying intoxicated eventually became more work than getting sober. Sick and tired of being sick and tired - It was then I became willing and sought help.

Alcoholics are funny people - at times the simplest path is never considered. Once sober though, it becomes remarkably habit forming.

Good thread Dee, yes the daily little things are what build a solid foundation. Well said.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Inspirational as always Dee. How did your leg feel after walking?
Old 07-01-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh it's better than it used to be Delilah - I'll never run a marathon, but I can walk a few 100 metres now without getting breathless through pain/anxiety/ effort.

That's a fair ways back to how it used to be, so I'm happy with that for now.

With the way things are set up in my life now I don't need to walk any real distance...but...you know us stubborn alcoholics

D
Old 07-01-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

As others have said awesome post. What you said is exactly the way I feel I have to be to stay sober.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee...as always...very inspirational! *R*O*C*K*S*T*A*R*
Old 07-01-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee, for all of your sage advice. You have made such a big difference in my recovery and that of others.

Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself by being as fit as you can be.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Great post Dee.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wise words indeed - thank you Dee 👍🏻
Old 07-02-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just think what we can achieve by harnessing all that energy we used to secure our next drink!!

Great post Dee!!
Old 07-02-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Dee,

You truly are an inspiration. I read countless threads a day on SR and there isn't one piece of advice you have offered that isn't sound, comprehensive, practical, sincere, kind and open-minded to the myriad of struggles we all face on here.

Thank you for what you do for others.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:52 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Do your best

To anyone who wants to stop drinking or is in the early days, weeks & months of recovery it's threads like these that will really help - read the words find that understanding within yourself .. It's up to you but just look at the quality of recovery of people who post threads like these it's incredibly powerful

D is known for the quality of his threads that are directly linked to his recovery and broadly speaking to our own recovery too

Maybe i am a tad bias but i know quality when i see it and it's threads like these that will really help

Thanks for posting another great thread D
Old 07-13-2017, 01:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Love this man. Thank you ! You're an amazing guy.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kenton View Post
Thanks Dee ... for this awesome post and all the other posts that have helped me immeasurably over the last few months xx

Ps I never used words like "immeasurably" before I got sober. Sobriety is making me smart
Well said Kenton. This made me chuckle. Sobriety does indeed make us smart, doesn't it?

Thanks so much Dee, your work here is helping so many of us.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Nicely put, Dee!

When I joined SR in August 2012 and stayed sober for 4+ years, I valued your posts. I value them even more this time around as I have been very introspective, trying to figure out why I chose to go back to drinking last November (it was a celebratory event, nothing sad). What made me think I could do it and not fall back down the alcoholism rabbit hole?

This time, I am taking in everyone's posts, especially those who have maintained their sobriety for years. I am making sure that every single one of my actions is 100% for my sobriety because that IS my end game. (It is now and it will be forever more.) I am doing EVERYTHING different - no joke. I even switched up my office configuration so that I am facing the door and able to greet people as they walk by! This is definitely out of character for me, but I am challenging myself.

It's difficult for me to articulate, but in my prior stint of sobriety all I did, really, was quit drinking. I never went any further with it - and therein lied the problem. I didn't explore any new hobbies (or go back to old ones, for that matter), I didn't start socializing, I did nothing different except not pick up (which was commendable, but just not enough). I never got out of my comfort zone. This time is different and I can attribute a lot of my motivation to Dee's posts. So, thank you, Dee!
Old 07-20-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I don't know how I missed this. It's another Dee gem - something to take to heart. Even with some decent sober time behind me, I'll never outgrow the need for this sort of encouragement. Dee, you helped save my life almost 10 yrs. ago. I always listen when you speak.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Really enjoying the comments as well as OP. A lot to think about.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Love your posts man. Especially the part about freeing yourself.

That's exactly what I've been feeling lately. I'm on the wagon again after slipping a couple months ago (I was sober for about 4 months before that) and feel so free. It's nice being able to go take care of things at 10 or 11 pm, or whenever, and not being tied down because I'm drunk and can't drive.

There is freedom in sobriety.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Dee. Your honesty is so inspiring. I walked so many times to get booze, can you believe we did that?!
Old 07-20-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by halfalife View Post
...You truly are an inspiration. I read countless threads a day on SR and there isn't one piece of advice you have offered that isn't sound, comprehensive, practical, sincere, kind and open-minded to the myriad of struggles we all face on here.

Thank you for what you do for others.
I could not have said this better. As someone who experiences daily chronic pain, it's inspiring to see you find your way through without alcohol.

Redundant though it is, throwing out another heartfelt thanks to you for being here.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:10 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
It's difficult for me to articulate, but in my prior stint of sobriety all I did, really, was quit drinking. I never went any further with it - and therein lied the problem. I didn't explore any new hobbies (or go back to old ones, for that matter), I didn't start socializing, I did nothing different except not pick up (which was commendable, but just not enough). I never got out of my comfort zone. This time is different and I can attribute a lot of my motivation to Dee's posts. So, thank you, Dee!
I found the exact same thing to be true, I have just about 20 months sober and the difference this time is I truly focused on recovery, on making healthy physical, and mental choices, and did not focus on "not drinking." I bet this is true for many of us who have struggled with sobriety in the past, and it goes back to more of Dee's wise advice about recovery plans.