Notices

Blackout Episodes

Old 07-02-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

You're a scientist. Excellent, that wil help.

Do some research on the biochemistry of alcohol addiction. Then do some more on how the entertainment, beverage, advertising and now the recovery industries all profit enormously off the misery of problem drinkers, all the while telling them that the problem isn't the highly addictive toxic chemical they're selling, it's that they are sad useless people who have no willpower.

I am nobody's pawn and that I became one over time motivates me to stay sober more than anything except this forum.

Seventeen months ago I joined this forum. Yesterday I had eighteen months sober. No coincidence!

I'm so glad you've joined us!
Old 07-02-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by L337Lady View Post
I have owned up to the fact that I am the abuser. This post was not meant for me to try and take the place as a victim. It was to vent and seek advice. I am in the middle of losing my family. My child built a bond with him. That is our home. Our dog and cat. Our comfort zone. All of it is being taken away from me because my blackouts caught up with me when I was the happiest I've ever been. Him and I have been sober far more than we have drank together. We are very happy and healthy every moment of our relationship besides when I am blacked out and besides when we are enabling one another. It does not seem reasonable to end a relationship that is kind, loving, and full of comfort when neither of us have given it a true adamant attempt. Figuring out how to remain sober is the most difficult thing I've ever dealt with. I have finally chosen to seek help and all I want is for him to find it in his heart to forgive me for my actions, have faith in my ability to remain sober for our family, and get help together. I am sort of responding to lots of other peoples posts and not just yours. I hope that's okay. But I do not think we are detrimental for one another, I think we just haven't taken the right steps. The beginning of sobriety is filthy, especially for those who don't avoid triggers and stay away from people who are readily willing to drink with them... etc. If we can both see the importance of taking it more seriously than, "we're not going to drink anymore," we can rebuild and be happy and strong together. I am finally starting to see that seeking help, making a plan, and incorporating the importance of it as prevalently as possible into my life, is going to be the most successful path for sobriety. I did not intent to make him seem like a bad man if I have. He is wonderful, so kind, hardworking and treats my daughter with the utmost respect.

I mention those things about being so very kind and honest and faithful to him because he should know my capabilities by this point. I am a student and hold a 3.8 GPA in Nuclear Technology. I was a single mother for 6 years, never allowing a man to be in our lives unless he was worthy enough to have an impact on my child.

I am hurting for him, my daughter, and myself, all while doing my best to own up to my actions. With all the variables and my overwhelming ability to analyze the crap out of everything, it is very hard to accept that responsibility, own up to it, and still not ask why I am not worthy enough to trust, support, and fight for.

Chicken and Rice... I don't think I've ever vented so much in my life to anyone other than my mother or best friend.
I'm sorry you're going through this. I honestly thought that your relationship was not that serious. Seems like it was. And it seems like maybe these violent black outs have happened enough times for him to leave an otherwise great relationship. Had the two of you previously talked about quitting or is the breakup a bomb he's just dropped on you without warning?

Not knowing the two of you personally, I will say this though; it's normal to feel hurt and pain when a relationship ends. This doesn't always mean that the two of you should get back together or fight to salvage things. This could be your turning point (you getting sober, going into therapy) and it could also be you dodging a bullet (he may not be the man for you after all).

However, if you really want to salvage the relationship then the best person to talk to would be your boyfriend.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JK130 View Post
Hello Lady, It's early morning where I am, so Good Morning too. You have a lot of healing to do, and I hope you are looking forward to feeling better and being better. You can! Are you alone today? What's on your agenda? Keeping busy and extra sleep both help. Keep close to SR if it's comforting to you, there's always somebody here to chat with :-)
Good afternoon for you and morning for me. I am at my parent's house but have to spend the day studying. Yesterday was too emotional for me and now i am behind on my studies. Learning pre-calculus and thermodynamics isn't even easy when i'm feeling stress free. I appreciate your words and concern. It is helpful.
Wish me luck! Have a wonderful day.

Thank you for your support. I
Old 07-02-2017, 10:16 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
I am nobody's pawn and that I became one over time motivates me to stay sober more than anything except this forum.

I really liked that statement. I am nobody's pawn. I'm going to keep telling myself that as I work on my sobriety.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Wait until you meet up again with your sober brain...you're going to be amazed at how much more you retain and how much easier studying is when alcohol isn't crippling your brain cells.

You got this.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:20 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lava256 View Post
I'm sorry, OOTT, but this made me laugh. I can't imagine how angry you must've been that you threw your phone in the pool! Lol. Good one. It's great, though, that that's the old you.
It WAS funny. I wasn't angry, more like a combination of jealousy and frustration. Like all arguments, it was about something incredibly stupid: a Red Robin gift certificate.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:33 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by L337Lady View Post
Does anyone else get violent when they blackout? I am a really good person and try very hard to treat my partner with as much respect and love that I can give, all. day. every. day. I've never lied to him, I've never drank behind his back, I've never once intentionally went out of my way to hurt his feelings (we are going on 15 months together), but I've gotten violent (breaking things) 3 times with him. This last time (last Friday), I physically hurt him.

He doesn't understand that IT WASNT ME who did it. I don't remember it. I don't have those feelings, those thoughts, those intentions AT ALL.

Can anyone relate?

I got violent, too. Husband did not care that I didn't remember--he still held me morally accountable. Of course it's not our intention, but our intention was to drink, so it comes with the territory. Did other things when blacked out, like act more immature than a mean middle school bully with some of the things I said to people. It's a been a year. I hold myself accountable for those things and haven't asked for forgiveness because why should I feel better?
Old 07-03-2017, 08:45 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I don't agree (as someone mentioned) that we aren't real versions of ourselves when drunk. Yes, there is a lot of foolishness involved and stupidity, but, really, the alcohol take away the inhibitions and the filters. I know I harbored a ton of resentment for my husband which is turn led to my violence. Other actions that I committed were definitely anger/alcohol-fueled like when I grabbed the steering wheel, almost causing an accident. That was the enraged, foolish me. But to say that my personality was taken over by some monster is false. It was me, just the unfiltered, nasty version.