SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   "You're good on beer..." (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/411904-youre-good-beer.html)

DontRemember 06-28-2017 10:22 AM

"You're good on beer..."

I was told this yesterday.. "You're good on beer(s), it's when you drink hard liquor you get out of control."... I simply said; No...I'll be 'good on beer for a week,maybe a month. Then I 'amp' it up and I know this through trial and error and 2 DUI's and neglecting obligations,ect..you know living life? He was shocked and simply said;" I'm proud of you,man!" I just told him I can't drink normal. I've crossed the invisible line. This was while golfing and they were having a 'few' beers. Sure I wanted one but, I know where that one takes me.

PippoRossi 06-28-2017 10:23 AM

Same for me. Fine on beers for a week or two and then it's game over. No thanks!

markinny 06-28-2017 11:48 AM

me too.

I had my first test and admission last weekend. I was at my mothers as I take care of her property and my cousin stopped down for an afternoon visit. there were other people there too. he was walking around with a tall boy of light beer and soon as he spotted me hiding in the garage he offered me one. nope i'm on a diet. it's lite beer. so I had to proceed to tell him my health issues no he says, only vodka drinkers get that. and I hope my dr. never tells me I have to stop. you don't drink that much..i hid it well.

him not noticing me in the garage I would see him go over to his truck and grab a bottle and chug. I know it was whiskey, that's what he likes. all I could think of is for how many yrs. I did the same thing. the beers just for show and something to hold in the hand and sip on for me and evidently him too.

thomas11 06-28-2017 12:23 PM

Good for you on recognizing that it just doesn't matter for folks like us. We are much better off with soda or juice, or water. Probably play a little better too!

Nonsensical 06-28-2017 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by DontRemember (Post 6516344)
"You're good on beer(s), it's when you drink hard liquor you get out of control"

You golf with my AV?

Bobbieka 06-28-2017 12:28 PM

Great job!

SoberHoopsFan 06-28-2017 12:44 PM

Beer, wine, liquor, it's all the same - alcohol. All roads lead to the same place. Complete abstinence from any kind of alcohol is the only certainty.

tekink 06-28-2017 12:45 PM

That's why I drank 8% abv beers. They got me "fine" most every night. Not that I didn't sip the brown stuff but I could easily be stubling drunk off beer alone.

SoberLeigh 06-28-2017 02:32 PM

Good for YOU, :c011: I am proud of you.

Alcohol is alcohol. Drunk is drunk. Liver damage is damage.

SoberLifeForMe 06-28-2017 02:54 PM

I'm painfully familiar with that trick. I would open a beer, which would last me hours (until it was warm and flat). That was so others would think I was a normal drinker. Meanwhile, I'd be taking tugs off my hidden bottle of vodka whenever I could. Half a liter later, I'd pass out in bed for the night after having "just one beer."

I don't miss any of that nonsense in the least.

columbus 06-28-2017 03:18 PM

"You're good on beer..."

You can get INCREDIBLY effed up on that high ABV stuff.

Beer in NOT okay.

Dee74 06-28-2017 03:32 PM

Beer was my drink. Beer nearly killed me.

D

Anna 06-28-2017 03:53 PM

I'm glad you see the faulty reasoning about the beer.

Mattq2 06-28-2017 06:46 PM

I only drank beer. Usually a twelve pack everyday for fourteen years. I was far from ok.

DontRemember 06-29-2017 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nonsensical (Post 6516492)
You golf with my AV?

:lmao: :scoregood:

LadyBlue0527 06-29-2017 08:26 AM

So glad you knew beer is just as bad.

I was a beer girl and I didn't need any more than that to get me in trouble. So glad those days are over.