Notices

I choose to call it good timing

Old 06-27-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I choose to call it good timing

Today marks the beginning of my 11th day sober. I've gone without drinking for 9 days many times, but around day 10 that that voice kicks in telling me that I'm fine, I don't have a problem, a nice chilled white wine won't hurt... and that's when it starts all over.

This time is different. This time I've surrendered to the idea that I don't have any control, and it's helping a lot.

The voice has a new tactic though - on a Thursday I leave for an 8 day tropical vacation. I can almost feel my AV rubbing its hands together and chuckling about bad timing. All those mimosas at breakfast, mai tais by the pool, wine at dinner and more cocktails at sunset... what terrible timing, how can she help but give in?

I choose a different narrative. A week away with my now 15 year old and this time I will be present for every moment. She will have a sober, clear eyed mother who is there for her, not a mother who is constantly buzzed. I'm terrified, my sobriety is so new and fragile, but SR is a huge part of my plan. Even when I'm not posting I'm constantly checking in and reading and I plan to keep that up while I'm away.

I'm so grateful to you all for the support, strength and sense of accountability that you give me every day. I wouldn't be here without SR.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful sober vacation enjoying every single memorable moment !!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 10 days! Vacations during early recovery can be tricky. Especially tropical vacations where the weather is sunny and warm and there's always the perfect moment to have a drink. Stay close to SR and plan activities accordingly. This will be your chance to build memories with your family that don't involve alcohol. Enjoy!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Yep! I had a similar trip last summer....

Best part..... I REMEMBER IT!

You will have a wonderful time!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

Here's how dumb the AV is , It doesn't even get You already made the decision on all those alcoholic beverages, and it's a big nope!, yeah?
It may get cranky and throw tantrums , but that's ok and to be expected, just treat those tantrums as we do those coming from some little spoiled brat and ignore them.
Enjoy your vacation, take your decision with you , expect some annoying whining from a known liar and tell It to bugger off, you got this
Old 06-27-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day 11! Thinking about your 15 year old, about how much more valuable and irreplaceable, spending a wonderful vacation with her while sober, is a great thing to keep in mind. I'm guessing, she will be amazed at you and so thankful. Have a great trip and actively think about how vital your sobriety is, every day of your vacation.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Taking a laptop, which is what I use, on all
my trips and staying connected to SR is my
recovery lifeline. Even tho I have 26 yrs.
sobriety/recovery, a many one days sober
added together along with using a recovery
program taught to me and incorporating
it in all areas of my life, I still have to maintain
my sobriety and continue to use many healthy
effective, useful sources to stay in the day.

Even when we ride our Harley to Sturgis
and Daytona, I have my laptop stowed away
in our trailer, so that when we land at our
hotel, I can connect here to SR and share
my journey along the way and never ever
have to feel alone in sobriety.

Stay safe and sober and connected to
one heck of a recovery resource many
of us use to secure our recovery life
each day.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone! I will definitely take SR with me, I use my phone to check in so ill pick it up instead of a drink if I hear any whispers from the AV. All advice and support gratefully appreciated!!
Old 06-27-2017, 11:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Enjoy your vacation, it sounds wonderful. Glad you're prepared for the monster to show up, cuz he will (could be a she I guess). Regardless, stay sober and enjoy. Congrats on your 11 days.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're in a good place mentally and know what you want this vacation to be for you and your daughter.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I like your attitude! I hope you have a fantastic sober vacation. Definitely lean on SR whether you feel the need to or not
Old 06-27-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bee- very good, good and stuff. Someone told me recently he was getting resentful- because he was going to Europe with his family, which meant lots of driving and NOT being allowed to drink.

I replied- living in Aust. my 2 adult sons went to Europe 4 years ago on a trip we had dreamt of for 20 years. I said I was told I was not going because my drinking was an embarrassment. Also that since then I have lost my marriage, then the respect and any contact with my sons. So that guy gets NO sympathy (some empathy) from me. As of course I offer none to myself.
GOOD FOR YOU,.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Bee- very good, good and stuff. Someone told me recently he was getting resentful- because he was going to Europe with his family, which meant lots of driving and NOT being allowed to drink.

I replied- living in Aust. my 2 adult sons went to Europe 4 years ago on a trip we had dreamt of for 20 years. I said I was told I was not going because my drinking was an embarrassment. Also that since then I have lost my marriage, then the respect and any contact with my sons. So that guy gets NO sympathy (some empathy) from me. As of course I offer none to myself.
GOOD FOR YOU,.
Thank you for sharing Phoenix, nobody chooses to be an alcoholic but that you choose to be here now helping yourself and others is wonderful. You_Rock_
Old 06-27-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Look at this way - your 15 year old is going to be there and also not going to be drinking (I assume), and will likely have a great time not drinking. Why can't that be you too? Alcohol addiction conditions us to believe that we can only have fun with alcohol, but you need only look to your child to see that is not true at all.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beedebea View Post
I will definitely take SR with me, I use my phone to check in so ill pick it up instead of a drink if I hear any whispers from the AV.
Cheers to your sobriety!!!
Old 06-27-2017, 03:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 11 is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!