Notices

Day 65 here and I've been thinking about a drink

Old 06-26-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 65 here and I've been thinking about a drink

I keep thinking about how nice it would be to have a glass of wine with dinner. I know I can't but I have nothing else going for me. My hubs has dementia and we're relatively young (50's) He was crappy to me our whole marriage and now I'm his caretaker. I hate this. I'm unhealthy and stressed. I just lost my furbaby the other day to cancer. I spent all my measly savings on trying to rescue him and now I'm broke on top of miserable. I keep thinking I should just drink. At least it will make me feel numb.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hugs, myluckyday

I'm so sorry you're going through all this and so sorry about your furbaby.

I know what you mean about using alcohol to 'numb' feelings/stress/pain/anxiety. But it's only a temporary crutch. And afterwards we have to deal with the anxiety and self-loathing brought on by drinking.

You have 65 days under your belt, which is such a great accomplishment. You should be very proud. Is there something you can do for yourself to ride out the craving? Take a walk, have a long, relaxing bath, listen to some music or read a book?

Take care. We are here for you.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi myluckyday

I'm sorry again for your loss and for the situation with your husband.

The bald truth is drinking won't make any of that better or any more tolerable.

I didn't really believe I'd be any happier in recovery but I am - I still have the same health issues and the same obstacles - but I'm ready to face them now, not run away.

Have you considered checking out a support group for dementia carers? If there's not one in real life near you, there will definitely be an online group?

D
Old 06-26-2017, 11:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

So sorry to read you are going through this. My dad passed away from early onset dimentia and I know how difficult it was for my mum. My heart goes out to you. You have done so well to get to 65 days. Remember alcohol makes everything worse always. Keep strong x
Old 06-27-2017, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by myluckyday View Post
I keep thinking about how nice it would be to have a glass of wine with dinner.
Recovery doesn't mean you'll never think about drinking again.

Recovery means knowing what to do when you those thoughts come.

I'm sorry you're having a tough time of things right now, but you know drinking will only make things worse.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you don't give in and drink. It may seem like a solution, but it will only make things worse. Please stay sober.

I know it's hard dealing with dementia, my mom had it. And I'm really sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. But drinking won't make any of that better.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and losing your fur baby. I've lost 2 furbabies in the last 6 months.. I hope you can find courage to continue staying sober
Old 06-27-2017, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lucky, have you looked in to getting some assistance with his care? You need breaks, you can't do it all on your own, and you have to take care of you.

If you're on facebook, look up Alzheimer's and dementia caregivers support. Join the one with the purple flowers as it's cover photo.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AA Member

heres a virtual chip for ya

maybe get to a meeting and pickup a real one

i hope this is your day 66

God bless

Old 06-28-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm still sober but so freakin stressed with life. I feel like I have nothing going for me. Day in and day out just existing.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I fell off the first time I made it to 69 days. Climbing back up you realize exactly how long 65 days is!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Whenever I was sober I felt just like that. So I didn't stay sober, it wasn't attractive. But of course my mental and physical health was failing so I eventually had to find something better, or die. I began to live by the principles of the AA program and my life got considerable better. I lost that feeling altogether.

Years later, my wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer, a particularly nasty type. She suffered greatly for the best part of two years before passing away. I was able to nurse her, look after our two children and our business and the miraculous thing is that it never occurred to me to drink, it didn't come up as an option. Imagine if it had, seriously ill wife, dependent children, distraught family, and me a useless drunk. Doesn't bear thinking about.

My wife had a friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer. Upon hearing the news her husband left her, how dreadful. My wife was discouraged and asked me when I would be leaving. It had never occurrred to me. I told her I loved her and would never leave. That is an example of how different I am to the useless drunk I was.

I continue to live by those spiritual principles, and the practice has brought me permanent and satisfying sobriety. You could do yourself a lot of good if you gave AA a try.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by myluckyday View Post
I spent all my measly savings on trying to rescue him and now I'm broke on top of miserable. I keep thinking I should just drink. At least it will make me feel numb.
I can relate to being broke, depressed, feeling life has played a mean trick on me, etc.. escape would be good I deserve it. etc.

yeah it doesn't really help and you go back to day 1 again.

you're letting your AV get too loud, maybe re-read the rational recovery flip cards on the Alcoholic Voice. beat the beast down, dont give it an inch of leeway.

keep up the good work, you are almost at 90 days.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Myluckyday,
I'm very sorry you are suffering so much. My commitment to sobriety has never been tested in such a way. I am committed to the belief that drinking will. It improve anything. Please don't drink. I pray that you find strength and happiness.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can relate to all your comments. When living in those circumstances it is very important to develop one thing for yourself. Your thing, your happy spot, your hiding place. For me it could be one of a few things. Practicing guitar, planting flowers and making something beautiful, watercolor painting. I'm not very good at it but just mixing the colors is therapeutic. Putting positive scents in the house is very helpful to me. Scents affect my moods and attitude a lot. I can't control the circumstances I have to deal with, but I can make my the atmosphere more pleasant and create some smiles in small breaks where I can think about what makes me happy. Also prayer is a positive help.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going myluckyday?

D
Old 06-29-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for the loss of your fur baby!

I hope you are hanging in there.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm still here guys. Haven't had a drink. Thank you all for your responses. It's keeping me afloat. Today I pick up my furbaby's ashes. Hopefully that will give me some closure.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

myluckyday
Old 06-30-2017, 01:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear your furbaby passed. I lost (another) one of mine 1.5 years ago. Still miss him. I'm also very sorry to hear about the situation with your husband. Dementia is brutal to deal with. I was a caretaker of one such mean individual. Not for faint of heart. Is there despite care offered? Hope so.
REALLY hope you don't give into that poison. You're doing great!!
Big hug,
J