Notices

"A weight off my shoulders.."

Old 06-26-2017, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"A weight off my shoulders.."

Morning all - I hope everyone had a nice weekend.

Mine was filled with activities I would have 100% would have been drinking at had I not made the commitment to get sober. Friday night we went to a friends house and chilled by the fire. When I asked for a seltzer our friend said he was surprised I didn't bring a bottle of wine. I told him I'm just not drinking these days.

Saturday we spent a lovely day with two of our friends in NYC to dine rooftop style at this shwanky little spot. My complimentary drink that came with the purchased Groupon went to my boyfriend. We sat at a bar and I asked for the bartender to make me a virgin drink of some sort. It still amazed me how the people I'm out with will have only one drink. The money I saved this weekend alone from not drinking is insane. One drink at the restaurant was just about $15. Gotta love NYC prices...

On Sunday morning I woke up bright eyed and ready to get some household things done since the past two days were spent with friends. We went out to breakfast, Home Depot and the grocery store. When we got home my BF fixed our toilet and re-potted a couple of our plants. I threw together a slow cooker meal for dinners this week, prepped salads for lunches and organized my coupons. I was energetic and productive. I even got a bit of a nap in! I sat at my vanity for a good hour or so and messed around with some makeup (hobby of mine). I can't believe how much time alcohol used to steal from me..

My BF and I had a wonderful conversation at breakfast. He actually said that he felt like I used to romanticize the bottle. I couldn't believe he said that because it's exactly what I have read here numerous times. He said me not drinking is a huge weight off of his shoulders. He doesn't have to worry about hearing me vomit in the middle of the night. He doesn't have to worry about me messing myself, or taking down my pants in the middle of a friends kitchen because I think it's the bathroom in my blackout state. If we go out to a concert he doesn't have to worry about me falling down in the middle of the crowd because I can no longer stand up. I've put him through so much s*it the past 8 years and I am so blessed to still have him in my life. I'm just happy that I realized this before it was too late..

Anyway - I just wanted to share my weekend with everyone here. Life really is so much better on the other side and I am truly grateful for it. I'm also incredibly grateful for everyone here on this site. This was the first spot I found after googling my troubles with drinking and you have all truly made a difference in my life.

Love to all <3
Old 06-26-2017, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you had a good time be careful with the Virgin drinks they don't work for everybody Bob
Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Really happy for you Nikka!
Old 06-26-2017, 07:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
under new management

that sounds like a fantastic weekend, Nikka!!!

Sobriety rocks!!!!

Old 06-26-2017, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds great - and sounds like the bf is enjoying time with the new you which is also really great.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you had a good weekend, Nik!
Old 06-26-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice post! Good for you. It sounds like you had a lovely weekend. Enjoy your week.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

!!

Last edited by dwtbd; 06-26-2017 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added exclamations points because this is an awesome post
Old 06-26-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great post, Nikka! You really have a gift for writing.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fantastic Nikka!!