Notices

Started Naltrexone

Old 06-25-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started Naltrexone

Not sure if this is the right area to post this topic. But I'm on my first day of naltrexone 50mg, and I am not drinking with the medicine. I am feeling more tired than usual, and a little irritable, but not too bad. I have taken it as my doctor prescribed, and understand there are no interactions with my other medications. I also watched the documentary, One Little Pill, and did some research before starting it. My doctor and I discussed this option over a month ago, but I just decided to go with it starting this weekend. I feel this is a good time to start so that my drinking won't get out of control this summer, as I tend to drink more, mostly out of habit (the sun is out, I must need a cold beer or chilled wine), that's my type of thinking, which I'm sure you all understand.

Anyone have any advice or experience with naltraxone? Does it help? Will the tiredness go away?
Thanks I'm advance.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

no personal experience Bronzie but I hope it helps

D
Old 06-25-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I, too, hope it helps, bronzie.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey, bronzie. Naltrexone was helpful for me. When I first started on it (the 50mg pill) it made me feel as if I had a low-grade sort of hangover for about 5 days but it did really help with urges. I did drink twice while on it: the first time I only sipped half a beer and poured out the rest which was unheard of for me-I have no 'off' switch and one taste of booze would usually send me back to the races. It just didn't feel pleasurable, just kind of 'meh.' A couple of months later I was feeling in a bad way and was determined to get drunk, so I drank 4 of those cheap 16oz high alcohol content ales and certainly felt it, but again with the naltrexone it felt different and less worth the effort, just kind of blah. Now I have 18 months of sobriety. I think for me as an adjunct to therapy naltrexone was helpful. It did exactly what it said it was supposed to do. I certainly don't suggest drinking while on this drug though.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's the most successful medicinal drug ever developed for abstinence. I take it and was first put on it in detox. It made me very sleepy at first I'd sleep 16-20 hours per day and still be tired. I no longer take it but if I was tempted to drink I'd take it again before I had a drink.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verdantia View Post
Hey, bronzie. Naltrexone was helpful for me. When I first started on it (the 50mg pill) it made me feel as if I had a low-grade sort of hangover for about 5 days but it did really help with urges. I did drink twice while on it: the first time I only sipped half a beer and poured out the rest which was unheard of for me-I have no 'off' switch and one taste of booze would usually send me back to the races. It just didn't feel pleasurable, just kind of 'meh.' A couple of months later I was feeling in a bad way and was determined to get drunk, so I drank 4 of those cheap 16oz high alcohol content ales and certainly felt it, but again with the naltrexone it felt different and less worth the effort, just kind of blah. Now I have 18 months of sobriety. I think for me as an adjunct to therapy naltrexone was helpful. It did exactly what it said it was supposed to do. I certainly don't suggest drinking while on this drug though.
Thank you for sharing. Did the tiredness go away after 5 days? I am not drinking while on the medicine, but I have not taken it yet today because I still felt so tired this morning, and it hasn't been 24 hrs yet anyway. inwas thinking of trying half the dose this evening, and still definitely not drinking! I'm hoping it will prevent relapses for me.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
It's the most successful medicinal drug ever developed for abstinence. I take it and was first put on it in detox. It made me very sleepy at first I'd sleep 16-20 hours per day and still be tired. I no longer take it but if I was tempted to drink I'd take it again before I had a drink.
This is what I have read/heard about it too, which is why I decided to give it a try. I just can't handle the side effect of being tired. I have a job and kids. I'm thinking of either halving the dose tonight or just only taking it when I get that urge to drink. Apparently you are supposed to take it 1 hr before drinking, according to The Sinclair Method.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Bronzie,

I take Naltrexone and it's been really helpful (haven't relapsed yet and it's been over 4 months). I too noticed that it made me feel tired so I began taking it before I went to bed, instead of first thing in the morning.

Hope you have success with it!

Old 06-26-2017, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

I found deciding to quit for good, taking the stance that I was never going to drink again and not change my mind, not only 'got me over the hump' but landed me right there.

In the past, operating from the perspective that I was trying to stop or prevent relapses really meant I was giving myself the option to drink again in the future

It certainly isn't easy or comfortable in the beginning, nor did I expect it would be, but consciously removing the option to drink again , for any reason including feeling like I wanted to , or needed to was the mindset I needed to adopt.,

If I'd let my AV have the option to relapse I'm sure I would, happened everytime in the past when I'd listen to my AV. I've stripped IT of options, It can't threaten a relapse, how could IT , I don't drink.

Have you decided to quit? Or just trying to figure a way around the consequences or mitigating them when drinking happens again in the future?
Old 06-26-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've been on Vivitrol (the Injection) and when I was drinking on it they said I was "pushing" past it and drinking more because I wasn't getting my rewarding high. So it did not work well while I drank however now that I'm sober I think it helps with cravings. I'm too scared not to get the injection and for a few days I feel dizzy after. I find that the oral made me feel too strange.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who has responded, sorry I haven't posted, I ended up having to go in for an emergency tooth extraction this morning! Therefore, I have not taken the naltrexone today, due to being able to take the pain meds if needed. I don't have any type of pill addiction, I only ever m take them after dental work. Anyway, I have not drank at all since I started the naltrexone, and noticed that my cravings were greatly reduced. I plan to go back on it by the weekend, as it was helping me.
And, no I don't plan on using it just so I don't "drink to much." I don't drink anymore, I have made that decision. I just find it easier to stick with that decision when the cravings are controlled by the medicine. I can go on about my day without thinking/obsessing about alcohol.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I haven't taken it either so can't speak to the tiredness, but when I had a chat with my doctor a few months back about relapse prevention she spoke very highly of its effectiveness. I personally would have no qualms about taking it in the future should I need to.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

Congratulations on your decision ! Sorry to hear about the tooth, hope that gets better soon .
It's just that you use the present tense of the verb 'drinking'.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey, Bronzie-the tiredness did go away after about a week-I'm assuming my body was adjusting to it. Sorry about your tooth; I have problem teeth myself.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well the tooth extraction went fine and I am healing quickly. I am back in the naltrexone, as I really didn't need the pain medication for more than a day after having it pulled. I am feeling less tired and actually not craving alcohol or even sugary foods as much. The part about Naltrexone blocking pain medication (in the event of an emergency) is the only thing that scares me about this medication. However, going back to binge drinking scares me even more, so I had to make the decision that works for me, which is to keep taking the naltrexone and focus on a healthy lifestyle. I will be 35 this month and my drinking days are behind me now. I do not want to abuse my body, mind or spirit like that anymore. I want to be healthy and strong, and be here for my family, especially my children, whom I love more than anything in the world! I may be posting here a lot more too because the support and encouragement really helps me get through the tough times. Onward and upward to health and sobriety!!!
Old 07-04-2017, 01:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I watched a very good TED talk on naltrexone yesterday. "How I cured my alcohol addiction" on YouTube. Check it out.