Notices

First dui

Old 06-22-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First dui

Hello everyone. This is one of the first forums I have actively posted on, and reading through some of the stories has helped console me through my trying times right now.

I received my first dui on June 5. I was kicked out of my parents house earlier that day unless I entered a 28 day program. I drank from a bottle inside of my car because I was so stressed. Within 2 hours I was taking a field sobriety test and being driven to the station. I spent the whole day in jail, to be released later in the day. My parents than picked me up and had me go to detox the next day. In detox all I could was pace and go over what ifs and regret in my mind. I have been sober since my dui.

I just feel so scared and hopeless now. I don't know how I will work and make it to all the required classes, and even pay for them. My parents are supporting me some, but I know they will not able to do it forever. I just feel like life is over now. Idk if anyone will ever hire me again. And I doubt I will ever be able to be truly successful in life, attract a woman or start a family.

I am going to an assessment for a 28 day program tomorrow. That is scaring me as well. I just hope I will be able to make it through it. I just feel like the regret and anxst are eating me alive and will make me lose my hair fast. Please, if anyone has advice on how to cope though this, let me know.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there. Take all the support you can get. Life doesn't end with one DUI, but it easily can, both quickly or slowly, with problem drinking.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I've been through it. It isn't fun and yes, it is quite expensive, but it isn't the end of the world. I got a DUI in 2006 and thought it was the end for me, too; but, it wasn't. You will get through it.

I think it's a good idea to go to an inpatient rehab. It will show the court that you are taking this seriously and trying to do better.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're going through this and I'm sure it's very stressful. But, it could be what you need in order to turn things around. Above all, stay sober. Go to your assessment tomorrow and do whatever you can to begin to recover. I hope you check in and let us know how you're doing.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Jk,
I agree that a 28-day program would be good. It will prove your seriousness about the DUI plus it will just be better for you. You will have time to concentrate on getting sober without distractions. I was scared going to rehab-I have been twice-but on both occasions I learned a lot and consider them to be positive experiences. After my last visit I will have 18 months of sobriety tomorrow. You will get past the DUI; a pal of mine is going through it right now. You'll be okay-just take care of you and make sobriety the most important thing.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I'm sorry that happened but if you use that experience to build a better, sober life, it will be the silver lining in a dark cloud.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your legal troubles but now might be a good time to take a little "life time-out" and re-evaluate some things. Like your drinking. I can assure you alcoholism doesn't get better, only worse. Also a bit concerned your title is "first DUI". Are you planning on more? Anyway, a program is a great start and I'm glad you are taking things seriously.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

the BEST thing you can do is to commit to never drinking again. that will solve a lot of problems.

while it's never good that anyone gets a DUE, this is your first - and hopefully your last.

your life is not over. in fact, as a sober person, it's just beginning!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's ok to be scared. Going to treatment is courageous. One of the smartest things I've ever done too. You got this!!!
Old 06-23-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your life is not over. In fact, without alcohol and rehab it could very well be just begining. I didnt realize that I was not living when I was deinking merely existing in my body.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome JKblade

Many of our members have had duis in their past. It might seem like your life is over - but it's really not.

Many have had duis, did whatever the state asked of them, stopped drinking and gone onto great and happy lives.

This could be the beginning of a bold new chapter - if you let it be

D