Notices

Newcomer here

Old 06-22-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer here

Hello everybody.

I am a guy in my mid-twenties, who recently became sober. I am about to hit four months of sobriety, which is my longest streak in many years.

I have been struggeling with alcohol abuse since I was about 19 years old, but with the help of my girlfriend I have managed to get sober.

I recently noticed that I needed a larger support network, since only having one person to share my worries and victories with, didn't seem enough (I don't talk about my alcohol addiction with any family or friends).

I am making this thread hoping to find support and to introduce myself, since I didn't know where else to start
Old 06-22-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR Dave. Congrats on 4 months - that's awesome!

Are you following a specific program or did you just decide to quit? Tell us how you're succeeding.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!!! I was about your age when I started noticing my problem. I will have one year of sobriety the same time I turn 60, if I make it. The longest I have made it till now, maybe 6 months. Every day now is a new personal record. I hope you don't wait as long as I did. I wish you well on your journey!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Welcome to SR Dave. Congrats on 4 months - that's awesome!

Are you following a specific program or did you just decide to quit? Tell us how you're succeeding.
Thank you so much!

To be honest, my turning point was when my girlfriend said she couldn't handle my drinking anymore and had to leave me if I didn't quit. This isn't the first time she has said that, but my past excuses and empty promises has kept it at a distance. This time was different though, and I'm very grateful that she was able to reason with me.

Other than her support, I'm using an app called EasyQuitDrinking for tracking and motivation
Old 06-22-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome...if find meetings a great support as well.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomls View Post
Welcome!!! I was about your age when I started noticing my problem. I will have one year of sobriety the same time I turn 60, if I make it. The longest I have made it till now, maybe 6 months. Every day now is a new personal record. I hope you don't wait as long as I did. I wish you well on your journey!
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Congratulations on your sobriety. It's very inspiring to hear someone battling for that long and never giving up. I believe in you!
Old 06-22-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Dave,

Your post just turned into an advertisement.

I just realized that when i go to AA meetings and brag about sr...some might think the same thing.

I didn't have the Internet to help me learn about addiction when i was 27 and quit for 8 months. I don't know if the www would have saved me though...i was way less brain damaged back then.

I just got off a vacation where my wifi and data were out for a week. My phone turned onto a solitare game. The www is truly the big brain. Not sure an app will get it done.

Whatever works to stay clean.

I am way better now...mainly because of sr.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, and congratulations!

Keep coming.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! Congrats on four months sober! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
Dave,

Your post just turned into an advertisement.

I just realized that when i go to AA meetings and brag about sr...some might think the same thing.

I didn't have the Internet to help me learn about addiction when i was 27 and quit for 8 months. I don't know if the www would have saved me though...i was way less brain damaged back then.

I just got off a vacation where my wifi and data were out for a week. My phone turned onto a solitare game. The www is truly the big brain. Not sure an app will get it done.

Whatever works to stay clean.

I am way better now...mainly because of sr.

Thanks.
Hello! I apologies if it seems like an ad, but I was only answering a question concerning what I do to stay sober, in the same way some people say they go to AA meetings. Would it be considered an advertisement for AA if I had said that instead?

In my first post I kind of said it myself, I am looking for support here because i dont have much else (girlfriend + app).

Once again I apologies, I'm just a bit confused by your post
Old 06-22-2017, 06:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family! Congrats on four months sober! You'll find lots of support here.
Thank you so much! I'm pretty overwhelmed by the support already
Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by itsdave View Post
To be honest, my turning point was when my girlfriend said she couldn't handle my drinking anymore and had to leave me if I didn't quit.
The ones that will tell you they deserve better and you can be better are keepers.

Giddyup!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Originally Posted by itsdave View Post
Hello! I apologies if it seems like an ad, but I was only answering a question concerning what I do to stay sober, in the same way some people say they go to AA meetings. Would it be considered an advertisement for AA if I had said that instead?

In my first post I kind of said it myself, I am looking for support here because i dont have much else (girlfriend + app).

Once again I apologies, I'm just a bit confused by your post
By the way you responded, i was wrong in guessing you had some financial gain from your app.

I googled it and found an app, may not have been the one you use. I loaded it and used it. Got it.

Sorry sir.

Sometimes I am a jerk. Sometimes people get really pissed at me for it. Thanks for keeping it civil.

I am working on it.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Dave. This place is pretty awesome. I was lucky to find it at about a month into white-knuckling sobriety. Shortly after that I started going to AA meetings as well so I've been blessed with a wonderful support network, which is lucky because I had so much to learn about recovery, and with my skewed perspective at the start every little molehill I came across in life seemed like a mountain. It was exhausting being in my head. Those folk have been lifesavers and have helped me learn how to keep things simple and deal with life on life's terms in sobriety.

Its great you found us. Please keep reading and posting. I'll take a look at that app later.

BB

By the way you responded, i was wrong in guessing you had some financial gain from your app.

I googled it and found an app, may not have been the one you use. I loaded it and used it. Got it.

Sorry sir.

Sometimes I am a jerk. Sometimes people get really pissed at me for it. Thanks for keeping it civil.

I am working on it.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Aww. Hugs and respect to you for this post D122y. I'm sometimes a jerk as well. But I'm rarely as good at offering such direct apologies as this.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sorry sir.

I am working on it.

Stay clean.

Thanks.
Hey D122y! I totaly understand and thank you. Although I don't believe that you need to apologise, I still appreciate it a lot.

To be as straightforeward as you just were, takes great character. High five!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Amazing job getting to 4 months Dave! SR is amazing - justbreading other people's posts has given me so much insight and strength as well as really good advice about staying sober. The encouragement here is fantastic. Hope to see more of you!