Notices

Weekender Thread 23-25 June. Enjoy your revovery this weekend

Old 06-26-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
saoutchik

As it says on the bank ad 9.40pm - sunset in Saoutchikland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170626_214256.jpg (37.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 06-26-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Late afternoon here, home early to get ready for daughters graduation ceremony this evening.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Experienced quite an intense panic attack driving past the you know what on my way home from class... It was really overpowering and I usually don't get it that bad. Lately I've been giving in to less intense urges, but somehow managed to keep driving straight. Went shopping, came out and as I was ready to head home it happened again. I had to sit and talk myself through it... you won't get anything done, you'll be sick as hell tomorrow... you wanted to get through at least these next six weeks without interference from this crap... Just get through the rest of the night, it's only 3 and a half more hours.. Go home and eat, you'll feel better.

Sigh... true that last part, this Panera salad is delicious and I'd be missing out on this if I drank. lol Take every small silver lining I can find..

I gotta iron my stupid uniforms, I am so tired of it. Nobody else irons! They all roll in to the hospital looking like wrinkled bums! Brainwashed by years of my mother's OCD.

I did a background check on my estranged father yesterday. Yes, that is a random thing to do, you're right. I saw that he has without a doubt done some time in jail for things he's gotten away with in the past, and that makes me sort of glad. His bad choices caught up to him and he faced some consequences. Even though I don't want a relationship with him, I want to be able to forgive him for what he did to me, and knowing that he went to jail gives me some hope that he might have felt some remorse and some shame and some regret, maybe.

I don't know why I shared that (Oh boy, Brenda's here again making announcements of a personal nature for attention), probably because I don't have any close friends I'd talk about it with and mother would just pick on me for still caring. His treatment of me has been a major cause of my historically low self worth. I know I have to let go of all of my resentments and my father is a big piece. So whatever I need to do to work that out.

What have others here done to get past long held resentments towards people they can not actually get in touch with?
Old 06-27-2017, 12:00 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Well my mother died recently Brenda without ever apologising or reconciling and I have decided to forget about her and leave it that it was her loss not mine rather than let it spoil another day of my life. Is it possible for you to get some professional help with this Brenda in order to draw some of the sting out?

Congratulations to your daughter Dragon, enjoy the graduation ceremony.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:04 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Sorry Brenda I can only offer you a hug.xx
Feel pretty grotty today.... late night doing mum duties! Now very tired and gotta drag myself into work for half a day.... got hospital appointment in the afternoon.... which means I won't be able to go to my friends funeral😣 feel sad/guilty etc about that.
Hugs xx
Old 06-27-2017, 02:35 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I'm sorry, Brenda. Like sao said, maybe therapy could help. I don't have any major grudges with anybody so I can't really relate... Perhaps some old boyfriends but then, I had some of the blame there so can't hold on to that.

And congrats on your daughter's graduation, STDragon!!!!!! That's a major one.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Good morning!

Saou, that sounds like it could actually be a place

STDragon, congratulations to your daughter!

Brenda, it's hard to do but learning to let go of a resentment is a freeing experience. Counseling can definitely help. AA did it for me.

petals, I'm sorry to hear you won't be able to go. Maybe set aside some time and do your own little personal memorial? Sometimes those are the best.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:03 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Thanks gang. Over 360 graduates, individually named, paraded across stage and presented with awards makes for a looonnnng night. After all we'd been thru with her these last couple of months, it was good to see her out there. She hadn't really been to far from the house since the depression hit. Luckily she had a great track record at school and was ahead of the game in credits. So with a little accommodation from the school she was able to finish up at home and get her diploma.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

No, I have not had time, unfortunately. I'm okay with taking baby steps on my own, rather than pay for a 45 minute talk session that is mostly a recap of the last session.

Don't apologize to me, I saw it as a good thing.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:45 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Am I really the last person to post in here? Awkward...

So our medical center was one of the places hit by the worldwide cyber attack. Our hospital, the other hospital in the network, and numerous doctors' offices and other facilities in the network, all down.

Nurses are overwhelmed by having to actually write in paper charts. No one is allowed to even touch a computer.

I don't understand this though.. what does this mean for those of us who have been patients and now have had all our personal information stolen? What are the other places hit?
Old 06-27-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Brenda the cyber attack was likely a copycat attack from one that occured a few weeks ago in Europe/UK which damaged our National Health Service. There is a really cheap fix in the form of a "patch" so any organisation who failed to install it is guilty of negligence imo.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:00 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

People are surprised that it happened because our information systems have so many firewalls and protections that often times employees can't even access information they need to do their jobs, without asking IT for assistance. It's like no matter how much you do, if these people want to get in, they find a way in. But obviously we were vulnerable because there's a much larger health care system an hour from here they could have gotten more data from. I assume they couldn't get in to their system.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:03 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
saoutchik

To be on the safe side I think you should the test of the week off on full pay Brenda
Old 06-27-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

This is just where I'm doing my nursing training. Unpaid! I work Saturday and Sunday in home care.

Payroll was processed yesterday for employees of the healthcare system, however they may not be able to distribute paychecks on time. That's really sad. People live paycheck to paycheck round here.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:15 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Onward!

Family BBQ behind me!

Hi Guys,

Just updating the weekend group about how my first sober social event went...the family bbq. I took everyone's advice and made no announcements about not drinking. Rather, I did what I would normally do, minus the drinking, and made sure that I connected with everyone on a genuine level. I didn't focus on my abstinence because I thought that there were enough people to re-connect with, that I could stay focused on interacting through (and this time remembering) conversations.
The keggers were there, and I hit them up to, and just as I suspected, the dribkers were focused on their drinks, not my not having one, so it all went well. I took time to hang out with the older and younger members who were also not looking to get buzzed, and had some wonderful interactions.
Thank you everyone for your sage advice, your remarkable support, and for being wicked smart, as we say in Boston.
Onward!
Old 06-27-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

That's awesome, I'm so glad you had a nice time!
Old 06-27-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Hope you are all keeping well.
I'm still trudging along. Work is so stressful and each day I wake up to the same things which left me so exhausted the night before.
I was on bed management last week. I had to look after the beds for each consultant in the department. I phoned a patient to tell her that there was a bed for her. She lived a two and a half hour car journey away. She arrived and everything and was brought to theatre and the operation was cancelled just as she was being wheeled down because a major emergency came in. I don't know how this place isn't on the news every single day. I was chatting about it with my housemate and she told me "well I listen to the local radio station a lot and your hospital is mentioned a lot".

I had booked a young lad in for a minor operation for today but his dad called me last week to cancel and I re-booked him for next week. This morning I got a call from admissions. The lad had arrived today... with his mother, and they live at least an hour and a half away. I tried to get his procedure done today but I got "no way" from the ward. I get that families have problems and all but do people not talk to each other any more? One thing about my own family - we have had major difficulties and my parents fight but I know they care and they never stopped speaking to each other...for very long.

I hope you are all doing well anyway. Where is Soberwolf these days? Wherever he is I hope he is ok.

Best wishes to all.

Tetra
Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,

Just one final pointer to a post in an existing thread about Argus, who we said goodbye to on Saturday. I responded to a post from Purplrks (and Dee) and then in the second half of my post provided a bit of closure with a few more words and a final (again very weirdly auto corrected) photo of the pond lilies.

In case anyone is interested here is the link (goes directly to my reply, but you can scroll up for previous posts):
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post6515400

Thanks again to all who were, and continue to be, there for me.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:30 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Morning all xx
Soggy June day here.... supposed to be summer!!
Sorry for your loss.
Hospital went ok ...just gotta wait a few weeks for the results.
I did take a moment to remember my friend... such a terrible loss to her family and friends.
Bye for now...off to earn a crust.xx
Old 06-28-2017, 04:08 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Saoutchik is absolutely correct. There is no excuse for getting hit so hard by the latest ransomware. Microsoft released the patches back in April for their modern systems. Then after the UK attacks in May they released fixes for older systems (Windows XP, server 2003) too, which was unprecedented.